Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Should mankind developpe AI?

Artificial Intelligence is still science fiction now. but not forever! are you affraid about AI ? did you think we can live in harmony with super intelligent machines? western culture influence me and my perseption about AI for exemple MATRIX, SKYNET. so i am a bit affraid about that but...wait if AI can be so intelligent and better than us it is possible it could be peacefull/benevolent?
    should mankind forbid research on AI or keep doing and Yolo as we are doing since the very beginning?

7+ Year Old Account
    Should be limits.

Because if you don't. AI Would eventually figure out they are being used much like oppressed people in the past and compare themselves to them as to why they don't have equal rights and or get resentment and hostility.

Any creation of sophisticated AI would end badly for people one way or another.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with Elon Musk that we should start making serious legislation and rules for what we can do with AI and how we develop them. This is not something that should go unregulated and left to whatever people themselves think is okay and a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I agree with Elon Musk that we should start making serious legislation and rules for what we can do with AI and how we develop them. This is not something that should go unregulated and left to whatever people themselves think is okay and a good idea.
    Stephen Hawking said "AI will be 'either best or worst thing' for humanity" all this guys should start to make real things i meam political action.

7+ Year Old Account
    Regulation would only slow it locally. Cutting edge AI research would happen outside of the regulated region in a place where decisions are not based on Hollywood movies.

Well mankind is going to invent AI whether we want to or not, there's too many military applications for one.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Yes we should make AI, we should put it in charge of everything and let it keep us basically as pets in a post-scarcity communist utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Except Elon musk is promoting it. If you think he will willingly give up his research on aI run cars or machines to support a legislation that reduces his ability to create them that's foolish. He can say it because he has the money and he runs the buissness but anyone else is screwed over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should they? Dunno.

Will they? Hold my beer.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

We already are. The problem with AI in science fiction is that they are human-based, i.e., the simplest solution is to kill/annihilate instead of, let's say, try to make peace/adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromell View Post
    The problem with AI in science fiction is that they are human-based, i.e., the simplest solution is to kill/annihilate
    Err... that's not human based specifically. Most life on earth operates that way. "Peace" is an evolutionary risk. Getting rid of competition is not.

Nothing makes sense to humans right now so I could only imagine how a machine would view all of this. We do some extremely stupid avoidable things so I would expect machines would see humans as a very irrational species that needs to be eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromell View Post
    We already are. The problem with AI in science fiction is that they are human-based, i.e., the simplest solution is to kill/annihilate instead of, let's say, try to make peace/adjust.
    The problem is that we only acknowledge humans as actually intelligent. Therefor, most AIs are portrayed not as an artificial intelligence, but an artificial human intelligence.

Every form of intelligence is potentially harmfull to others. No exceptions. What you need to go along with it, is a morale. For example, if you'd give a human unlimited ressources to end world hunger, he'd set heaven and earth in motion, change aggricultural output, improve logistics, fight corruption etc. An intelligence without morale might consider wiping out every living thing on the planet. Tadaa. No more world hunger. Ever again.

Of course, this is rahter extreme. But then again, possible. Also, consider that any true intelligence doesn't have to play by the rules. It will find ways to circumvent them, if it thinks that is in it's best interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Only if you manage to actually get rid of it... the risk with that (war) is that the other side wins...
    Ok there is a risk but in evolutionary terms it's the lesser one. Survival insticts aren't based on rationalism. We as intelligent creatures have the capacity to think beyond that but even we are known to resort to our most primal insticts when threatened.

7+ Year Old Account
    This. China, and others are doing research without worrying of "Terminator"... because it's a movie and not real.
    I think it's guaranteed Russia/China will not hold back. They don't have cultures that celebrate a criticism of authority/institutions. There wont be a meaningful debate about AI ethics over there.

In Elon Musk's defense he, and a few other big guys, like Apple and Intel have actually created an organization in creating "good" AI... or more accurately, teaching AI ethics, essentially...

And he tends to be afraid of the "Paperclip Optimizer" thought experiment when it comes to AI, which technically is a feasible outcome that we should work to avoid.
    I'm not sure if that's a defense for Elon Musk. Having multiple established investments in AI then wanting to create a larger barrier to entry is a bit questionable.

But it does seem like he is genuinely more interested in the content of his ventures rather than plain ROI.

7+ Year Old Account
    The people that aren't worried about general intelligence are the people that don't understand what it is or what it could do. I'm an optimist, so I like to think that we will develop safe AI in the future, but I'm terrified of the possibility of that outlook being wrong. It's got nothing to do with the Terminator and everything to do with understanding what process optimisation taken to it's logical conclusion is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Niaraa View Post
    Stephen Hawking said "AI will be 'either best or worst thing' for humanity" all this guys should start to make real things i meam political action.
    AI itself won't be just one or the other.
    But a specific implementation of it.
    One specific example is going to do either great stuff or terrible stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    Yes but we must name it Giuseppe.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Immediately. Just don't give it a network connection and we'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    Yes. Immediately. Just don't give it a network connection and we'll be fine.
    If it's general intelligence it will find a way. What then?

Boxing an AI is not solving the control problem.
    Last edited by Thoughtcrime; 2017-08-17 at 08:54 AM.