View Poll Results: This sentence for sexual assault is

Voters
77. This poll is closed
  • Appropriate. Hopefully the criminals learn their lesson.

35 45.45%
  • Not severe enough. This is a serious crime that will affect the victim for the rest of her life.

34 44.16%
  • Too severe

8 10.39%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Don't even know what canning is, but I imagine it's as unpleasant as it sounds. On the one hand it kinda seems like the state taking revenge on behalf of the victim... maybe to deter the victim (or her family) from doing so. It could also be that the state is just a tyrant... it's not as if that little voice in my head isn't saying that they deserve it, I just don't think that's a good basis to base your state on: it should be a bit more rational than that.

Would've expected a longer prison sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i would go with one year in prison, and 500 lashes every week that they're in prison.

i believe lashings are a good punishment that should be used here in the states.
    Five. Hundred. Lashes. Every. Week?!? So basically, you want them to be dead somewhere around the middle of the second or third day? I mean, I don't know about you, but I seriously doubt anyone is going to be alive, let alone anything other than a lacerated bag of meat after an average of 71 lashes a day........

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Its been debunked as an argument a million times. That sentences are deterrents to crime.
    No sentences at all would surely nullify all crime, huh?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfield View Post
    On the one hand it kinda seems like the state taking revenge on behalf of the victim... maybe to deter the victim (or her family) from doing so.
    That is actually a significant factor. The justice system should make the victims -- or their families -- feel satisfied and remove the primal need to take matters into their own hands.

How do you think a rape victim feels when the offender gets 15 months on probation with zero days spent in jail?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    No sentences at all would surely nullify all crime, huh?
    Thats not the point. No one thinks about the sentence when they are commiting the crime hence they aren't a detterence. Not that there shouldn't be any. Try engaging brain.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    It does humiliate them but its cruel and unusual. It doesn't serve as a detterrent. It didn't fucking deter them did it.
    Well the same can be said for countries that have the death penalty for trafficking drugs or murder, it still does not deter those from committing said crimes..

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    So because something doesn't stop all crime it's not a deterrent?

- - - Updated - - -
    Virtually nothing is a deterrent and we need to stop thinking of punishment as a deterrent in serious crimes. For something to deter you need to actually be able to see yourself as a person who would commit such a crime and get caught doing it. Very few people would look at them self in the mirror and say "hey, I am a rapist and dumb enough to get caught" so they would not be deterred as this does not apply to them in their mind.

Deterrents are effective in minor crimes like traffic violations etc where we can easily see ourselves as the person committing the crime and getting caught.

They should shove the canes up their asses.....
    /sig

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfield View Post
    Don't even know what canning is
    Canning is when you make an adult size can, put the convict inside, put on the lid and seal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobblo View Post
    Rehabilitation is an awful reason to punish. Retribution (and note that i did not say revenge) is a much better goal.

- - - Updated - - -

You have to remember that a group of people is still a group. If one person considers himself to be 'alt-right' is against caning, and a second person who considers himself 'alt-right' is for the death penalty, you haven't legitimately shown logical discontinuity. Hell, even if one person who considers himself 'alt-right' is against caning and for execution, you haven't proved logical discontinuity of the group, and perhaps even the individual.

- - - Updated - - -

The evidence for this statement is very light. If you are against the death penalty, find a better reason than this so-called proof.

- - - Updated - - -

The way you use the word primitive makes it sound like a compliment.

- - - Updated - - -

And the way you use barbaric makes it sound like a compliment, as well.
    so called proof... this is like looking at climate scientist and dismissing their claims as "so called proof"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    Instead of hitting them with cane, they should pegged them hard.
    Problem there is that isn't necessarily a punishment for everyone. . . .
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    derp doesn't actually know what lashing is they are just being edgy.
    it's actually that i have my own idea of the tool used for lashing.

those fetish whips, with multiple tassels. they wouldn't open any wounds very fast, but would hurt a lot. eventually wounds would open, which is why it would change from the back to the butt and the legs and arms ect.

but i would lower it to something more manageable. but i do believe lashings are a good, non-lethal punishment. i'm not pro-death penalty, i am anti-death penalty. i'm pro-human experimentation on inmates bad enough, like murderers and psychos and stuff.

As I understand it, getting one lash with a cane will likely make you pass out from the pain. Probably any more than a few will render a person unconscious. Which is why I'm glad that these guys are getting prison time on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    Virtually nothing is a deterrent and we need to stop thinking of punishment as a deterrent in serious crimes. For something to deter you need to actually be able to see yourself as a person who would commit such a crime and get caught doing it. Very few people would look at them self in the mirror and say "hey, I am a rapist and dumb enough to get caught" so they would not be deterred as this does not apply to them in their mind.

Deterrents are effective in minor crimes like traffic violations etc where we can easily see ourselves as the person committing the crime and getting caught.
    You're just plain wrong on this.

Canning is a relic from bygone era. Let's stick to more, eee, modern forms of punishment, like the good old jails.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    it's actually that i have my own idea of the tool used for lashing.

those fetish whips, with multiple tassels. they wouldn't open any wounds very fast, but would hurt a lot. eventually wounds would open, which is why it would change from the back to the butt and the legs and arms ect.

but i would lower it to something more manageable. but i do believe lashings are a good, non-lethal punishment. i'm not pro-death penalty, i am anti-death penalty. i'm pro-human experimentation on inmates bad enough, like murderers and psychos and stuff.
    No it's just that you're painfully stupid and nuts. The real world is different to what's happening in your head. If you lash people even remotely close to what you were talking about earlier in the thread they will be fucking dead after the first day, it doesn't matter whether it's a cane or a whip, it will destroy the flesh down to the bone in a very small number of strokes with any effort. If you alternate between lashing body parts, all you're going to do is change the time of death. Instead of dying in less than an hour to their injuries they'll die in a couple of days to blood loss or sepsis. Don't worry about the human experiments Derpda Mengele, this is already pretty common knowledge.
    Last edited by Thoughtcrime; 2017-08-19 at 12:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Canning is a relic from bygone era. Let's stick to more, eee, modern forms of punishment, like the good old jails.
    It was instituted by the British and now British nationals are facing this punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It was instituted by the British and now British nationals are facing this punishment.
    Long, long time ago... A lot of things were, yet we do not question every change.