first cuistom PC build, parts, budget

Budget - $800 US
    Resolution 1920 x 1080 or one below that
    Games / Settings Desired overwatch/destiny 2/ hollow knight/ori and the blind forest/ trails in the sky/ various indie steam games all played lag free on average graphics quality
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) no
    Country US
    Parts that can be reused no
    Do you need an OS? Yes
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? no

my first ever gaming build, so any help is appreciated

Intel are announcing their 8th gen processors on August 21st, so wait for that.

This is what your build would look right now:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($156.48 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($126.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.38 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Windforce OC Video Card ($216.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($56.89 @ Newegg)
    Total: $820.58
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-17 15:49 EDT-0400

Take note though you that with Coffee Lake you're most likely going to get a similarly priced 4c/8t part (same as Ryzen 5 1400 here), non-overclockable, but with a higher performance that of an overclocked R5 1400, with a cheaper motherboard (due to no overclocking support). Other than the CPU and motherboard you're pretty much clear to order the rest of it right now.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

15+ Year Old Account
    Thunderball beat me to it, so I do a alternative build, better cpu, lower end graphics card but will be able to handle your games.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.65 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($86.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($111.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($144.88 @ OutletPC)
    Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($56.89 @ Newegg)
    Total: $800.05
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-17 20:39 EDT-0400

these are parts hes looking at now how does this work. Any issues?

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($111.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($57.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card ($219.88 @ OutletPC)
    Case: DIYPC - Solo-T1-BK ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $798.15
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-18 05:01 EDT-0400

Quote Originally Posted by BASgamer View Post
    these are parts hes looking at now how does this work. Any issues?

Storage: Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($57.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card ($219.88 @ OutletPC)
    Case: DIYPC - Solo-T1-BK ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $798.15
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-18 05:01 EDT-0400
    Yes, that SSD is trash. Same with the case.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post

whats wrong with the SSD and case?
    the case seems like itd be big enough to house the components and as for the SSD I don't think i'd need anything bigger than a 120gb since all that's going on it is the OS

then what is a good ssd about that size he can use?

Quote Originally Posted by BASgamer View Post
    then what is a good ssd about that size he can use?
    1) He should wait for Coffee Lake
    2) He shouldnt get a 120GB SSD.
    3) Cheapest decent choice would be Sandisk SSD Plus
    4) No point in getting a 6core.

1) He should wait for Coffee Lake
    2) He shouldnt get a 120GB SSD.
    3) Cheapest decent choice would be Sandisk SSD Plus
    4) No point in getting a 6core.

When does coffee lake release and price for it
    Why not get a 120gb ssd
    Will a quad core be able to run destiny 2 etc lag free with that upgraded video card?

Quote Originally Posted by arwcnova View Post
    whats wrong with the SSD and case?
    the case seems like itd be big enough to house the components and as for the SSD I don't think i'd need anything bigger than a 120gb since all that's going on it is the OS
    The SSD is not one known for it's quality and longevity.
    The case is cheaply made and flimsy.

- - - Updated - - -

When does coffee lake release and price for it
    Why not get a 120gb ssd
    Will a quad core be able to run destiny 2 etc lag free with that upgraded video card?
    1) Check back on Monday, when they are announcing it. It should release at around the asme time as the announcement, though we won't really know for sure until then,
    2) Because, that's tiny. Remember, you want more than OS on SSD. You want frequently used apps and games on there as well, or you are defeating half the purpose of having an SSD which is the reduced load times.
    3) Yes. Even it's recommended CPU requirement is a 5+ year old Quad Core, with it's minimum requirement being a 2c/4t. Anything better than that will be fine, which almost anything you buy today will be better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post

- - - Updated - - -

1) Check back on Monday, when they are announcing it. It should release at around the asme time as the announcement, though we won't really know for sure until then,
    2) Because, that's tiny. Remember, you want more than OS on SSD. You want frequently used apps and games on there as well, or you are defeating half the purpose of having an SSD which is the reduced load times.
    3) Yes. Even it's recommended CPU requirement is a 5+ year old Quad Core, with it's minimum requirement being a 2c/4t. Anything better than that will be fine, which almost anything you buy today will be better than that.
    so case, aside if I don't get the 6 core and opt for a 4 core
    could I offset the cost enough to go into a 270gb ssd?

waiting for coffee lake could work but I'm not one known for his patience lol.
    would the durability of the case really be an issue after I get everything built and set ui feel that if im not really moving it anywhere that it wouldnt get damaged.

sorry for the bombardment of inquiries, I know very little about hardware, ive always fiddled with the software aspect of things.

- - - Updated - - -

so if I don't get the 6 core and opt for a 4 core

would the durability of the case really be an issue after I get everything built and set up feel that if im not really moving it anywhere that it wouldnt get damaged.
    I'm trying really hard not to make this build too high over 800 and the SSD and case brought me down to just enough to be able to upgrade the video card.

sorry for the bombardment of inquiries, I know very little about hardware

so if I don't get the 6 core and opt for a 4 core

would the durability of the case really be an issue after I get everything built and set up feel that if im not really moving it anywhere that it wouldnt get damaged.
    I'm trying really hard not to make this build too high over 800 and the SSD and case brought me down to just enough to be able to upgrade the video card.

sorry for the bombardment of inquiries, I know very little about hardware
    250/256 GB SSD, but yes, IMO that is the smallest that should be considered.

It's waiting until Monday for more information to see if it is worth it or not, and should be well worth the wait. If you are concerned at all about the budget, that will allow you to get more performance for the same amount of money. This close, it would be incredibly stupid to not wait IMO.
    For the case, I personally hate building in cheap flimsy cases. It can also be a bit of a pain in the ass. Just more likely to have issues. Really though, in the end, it does not matter what you house your PC in. I knew a guy who never even used a case, just had his everything sitting on some old empty Marlboro packs. He also had cats, and parts ended up getting knocked over and broken, so I don't really recommend that, but yeah, it largely does not matter. Once you've built in a decent case though, it's hard to build in a cheap case. Check out the Corsair 100R though, it's not much more and a great quality case.

250/256 GB SSD, but yes, IMO that is the smallest that should be considered.

It's waiting until Monday for more information to see if it is worth it or not, and should be well worth the wait. If you are concerned at all about the budget, that will allow you to get more performance for the same amount of money. This close, it would be incredibly stupid to not wait IMO.
    For the case, I personally hate building in cheap flimsy cases. It can also be a bit of a pain in the ass. Just more likely to have issues. Really though, in the end, it does not matter what you house your PC in. I knew a guy who never even used a case, just had his everything sitting on some old empty Marlboro packs. He also had cats, and parts ended up getting knocked over and broken, so I don't really recommend that, but yeah, it largely does not matter. Once you've built in a decent case though, it's hard to build in a cheap case. Check out the Corsair 100R though, it's not much more and a great quality case.
    couple more questions
    so if i waited until monday
    what parts could i order right now just to get it out of the way? and is there any guarentee the new intel will be compatible with these parts?

would this also be the quad core you'd recommend
    AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

couple more questions
    what parts could i order right now just to get it out of the way? and is there any guarentee the new intel will be compatible with these parts?

The parts you could order now if you waited for coffee lake would be everything but the CPU and MOBO sometimes would need to hold off on the RAM when a new generation of RAM came out to see which the board with have but as DDR4 is fairly new and DDR5 is ways off it won't be an issue. At the very least if Coffee Lake seems to be out of your budget it might force a price drop on a Kaby Lake CPU that may be better than the Ryzen 5 suggested but highly doubtful. Also keep in mind all these build suggestions do not include the OS which could add a significant more to the total. If you get the OS from a safer place could cost $90-$135 depending on the version or you can take a risk at kinguin and pay $30. The Issue with Kinguin is that you aren't sure how the keys are gotten and down the road the serial could get cancelled.
    Last edited by Palizangetsu; 2017-08-18 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palizangetsu View Post
    The parts you could order now if you waited for coffee lake would be everything but the CPU and MOBO sometimes would need to hold off on the RAM when a new generation of RAM came out to see which the board with have but as DDR4 is fairly new and DDR5 is ways off it won't be an issue. At the very least if Coffee Lake seems to be out of your budget it might force a price drop on a Kaby Lake CPU that may be better than the Ryzen 5 suggested but highly doubtful. Also keep in mind all these build suggestions do not include the OS which could add a significant more to the total. If you get the OS from a safer place could cost $90-$135 depending on the version or you can take a risk at kinguin and pay $30. The Issue with Kinguin is that you aren't sure how the keys are gotten and down the road the serial could get cancelled.
    yea, my friend showed me kinguin, the risk might be worth it
    if it gets canned i just order it legit from microsoft
    because 100 for an OS is crazy

15+ Year Old Account
    Hold up a second...

Do you still have an original Windows 7/8/8.1 key by chance?
    If so just install that, activate with the key and do the free Windows 10 upgrade here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acce...ndows10upgrade

100% legal and works.

couple more questions

Read my first post. It's completely safe to order everything else except mobo and a processor. Worst case scenario you're buying a R5 1400 with a B350 motherboard (which is still pretty good and leaves you room to upgrade once AMD releases new processors) or you're getting basically an i7 with lower clocks for price comparable to the current i3s. On the Ryzen motherboard: I agree with Moremana here, MSI's B350 Mortar and Tomahawk are both viable considerations aswell (but those are slightly more expensive, which is important for your case).