Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I know for sure that I'm not the only person on this website who almost destroyed their life through a World of Warcraft addiction so I'm pretty sure I have some clue about what I'm talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the amount of hours that unemployed men in the US spend playing video games is truly pathetic.
    That's a personal problem, and I'm sure the amount of alcohol and pot consumed by unemployed men in the US is equally pathetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Way too many variables, way too small a sample size and way too short a study.

For this you'd need to run the study over at least 10, better 15 years, have thousands of participants and a control group and follow them over the course of those 15 years to see how shooter players diverge from the control group. Even better to have 2 control groups: Non-Gamers and players of other games.

You don't gain or lose brain matter over the course of just 90 hours. The only thing that can do that is a lobotomy.
    Last edited by Krawu; 2017-08-18 at 10:24 AM.

Don't you go coming after my Borderlands....them's fighting words.

Do they have less grey matter because they play the game or do they play the game because they have less grey matter?

10+ Year Old Account
    I know for sure that I'm not the only person on this website who almost destroyed their life through a World of Warcraft addiction so I'm pretty sure I have some clue about what I'm talking about..
    That's like saying a guy who gambled himself out of his house proves that gambling causes brain damage. These are two entirely unrelated things.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Pretty sure everything we do is detrimental to us in one way or another, just enjoy yourself and do anything that's obviously harmful to you in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That's like saying a guy who gambled himself out of his house proves that gambling causes brain damage. These are two entirely unrelated things.
    I didn't say it caused brain damage, I said it was bad for you just as gambling is in a different way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    That's a personal problem, and I'm sure the amount of alcohol and pot consumed by unemployed men in the US is equally pathetic.
    It was a personal problem but it is indicative of a larger problem. Drug consumption among the unemployed is another problem as well but that doesn't mean video games aren't also a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say it caused brain damage, I said it was bad for you just as gambling is in a different way.
    You kinda did. You were agreeing with the study to some degree because of your experience, but your experience has no relation to the topic. Video games largely aren't bad, but people can have issues due to their own mental state.... This is like comparing apples to airplanes, since the study wasn't about that, but actual brain activity.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    I bet shooting at each other for real is even more dangerous! But I sadly can't link a solid research on that

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    The only thing that can do that is a lobotomy.
    Which is what some of those shooter players already have.

hue hue

Deleted
    This is why I don't trust any study.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...tudy-suggests/

Whew. I barely play games with shooting so I should be fine. How about you?

Quite clearly fake news.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    You can get brain damage in other ways. No reason to believe you should be fine.
    Yeah, reading the shit the OP posts...kek

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    I do roughly 120 hours in a 2 week span. I work in the games industry and play video games 40 hours a week at work... and I put in about 20 hours a week outside of that.
    Yea yea, you know damn well what I mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    So does that mean I'm safe with my empire building and 4X games?
    Yeah, you're fine.

Just don't skip dick day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Video games are more different from each other than movies and books.

There is NFS like racing games, and there is turn based strategies like Civilization. Not all folks playing video games have addiction to them, there is folks who play only for 20-30mins evry 2-3days or even a week.

There is much more ppl addicted to movies and TV series, those ppl spending much more life on time on movies/TV series than average casual player on video games and when you playing offline games you can pause it or quit it any time without screwing experience for your team members and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawless Jones View Post
    Remind me why this flame-baiting reposter hasn't been perma-banned yet?
    Some say its Endus's alter ego.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Deleted
    I doubt it's the amount of gaming, but the lack of other activity instead.

I heard as time passes you get brain damage too. By the time your 100 its fucked. Stop aging today. Die.

ive got tons of hours on fps like quake, halo, cod, battlefield, killing floor1 and 2, left 4 dead 2. RIP my brain i suppose
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    I believe your hands should be cut off. As I feel your opinions prove your not fit to type.
    Gen Off-Topic being hella ruthless