Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How long have you been subscribed in each expansion?

In my case, in the last ten years I've been subscribed to the game a grand total of 58 months, of which:

8 months were spent playing BC (started playing back in november 2007)

18 months were spent playing WotLK (had a nice guild, was committed to raiding, really loved the expansion but had to take long breaks due to IRL demands)

5 months were wasted playing Cataclysm (guild fell apart, people I knew started to unsub, I became mostly a solo player and absolutely hated what they had done to the game)

15 months were spent playing MoP (was still a solo player, I unsubbed during the first couple of months because of the heavy focus on dailies and reps but had a blast pugging flex/normal/hc and getting the legendary cloak with all my toons during the last patch of the expansion)

8 months were spent playing WoD (I shouldn't have kept the subscription running for that long tbh, but the legendary ring took a long time to get. The last 2 months were almost exclusively spent leveling an army of alts through invasions)

4 months have been spent playing Legion (for a solo player like me it's been a pretty meh expansion so far, with few redeeming qualities. I hope it gets better in the next 6 months or so, for I'm planning to return when the second-to-last wing of Antorus LFR opens)

According to Wowpedia each expansion has lasted roughly 2 years:

• Burning Crusade: 22 months (2007-01-16 – 2008-11-13)
    • Wrath of the Lich King: 25 months (2008-11-13 – 2010-12-07)
    • Cataclysm: 22 months (2010-12-07 – 2012-09-25)
    • Mists of Pandaria: 25 months (2012-09-25 – 2014-11-13)
    • Warlords of Draenor: 21 months (2014-11-13 – 2016-08-30)
    • Legion: 12 months (2016-08-30 – still counting)

So what's your story?

Subscribed since 03.2007, never actually canceled my sub.

Deleted
    Is there some easy place to see that stuff? Going through account payment history seems like a chore.

Cataclysm: I think I played cata for like 15-16 months, I started playing around the end of tier 11. Best time ever, everything was new to me, had a good raiding guild and a good pvp guild.

MoP: 19 months, my first expansion ever, I only unsubbed for some little moments like at some point during the drought of SoO, and a month around ToT release. I really enjoyed this expansion as I got much more into hardcore raiding till the end of SoO.

WoD: Was really busy with real life, didn't even buy expansion on launch, simply because I wasn't sure if I'd like an 'orc-filled' expansion. Turns out it wasn't that good indeed, but I gave it a try down the road with my gf. I literally played for 3-4 months only, playing at the end of each patch. I didn't have any friends left in game, and everyone required curve achievs to let me even raid HC, something I couldn't get with my little time available. Needless to say that I played mostly because of Khadgar, I love that guy no joke.

Legion: I've unsubbed only for a month during December when I had to study for exams. Rest of the time subbed so far.This expansion looked freaking epic from the very start, and I don't know, it felt so much like some serious expansion that is on a really grand scale. And I've taken a 2 weeks break till 7.3 now, then I will try to stay subbed till the end of Legion as there are plenty of things I want to o which I think are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Is there some easy place to see that stuff? Going through account payment history seems like a chore.
    Not that I know of

10+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla= 3 months, would've been more but life got in the way!
    tBC = 7 & 1/2 months
    WotLK= 6 & 1/2 months
    Cata =7 & 1/2 months
    MoP = 3 months
    WoD = 3 months
    Legion= 2 months so far, gonna resub soon for a month.

I did play Vanilla, tBC and Wotlk a lot more vehemently than Cata tbh and enjoyed them a lot more as well, so that 7 1/2 for Cata is very flattering, Blizzard gave away a lot of free time during that expansion as well, which sometimes led to me resubbing, that's the only explanation I can give for that. Otherwise the game has obvious diminishing returns for me. Each expansion feels that much more stale I think, like butter spread over too much toast...
    Last edited by Muadiib; 2017-08-25 at 03:19 PM.

I was subscribed from Feb '05 (vanilla) until Cata, which was such an awful expansion I quit after a month with no plans to return especially after MoP was announced. I had no interest in the Pandaren theme at the time, but knowing what I know now of the storyline and gameplay I probably would've enjoyed it.

The main reason I came back in WoD is because I got suckered into it due to my fiance playing. Only lasted a month as there was no end game of interest and the questing was not an experience I cared to repeat on alts.

I was subscribed to Legion for ~7 months and had to stop playing due to how alt unfriendly and grindy it is. Debating whether or not to resubscribe closer to the end of the expansion to tie up some loose ends. I haven't seen any content added since I quit that's made me regret the decision (quite the opposite).

Vanilla -> Cata
    Cata - 1 month
    MoP - none
    WoD - 1 month
    Legion - ~7 months
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Pretty much though every expansion except for about 1/2 way though MoP and went back when WoD came out.

The only time I stopped my subscription was from the SOO raid to roughly halfway through BRF. I was so sick of pandas at that point I had to take a break. That is the only break I have ever had in my sub. I think I took the break to play FFXIV which was dope until we got to coil5 and it was almost impossible lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Subbed at release of Cataclysm and never cancelled.
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhm.. yeah.. so... Without wanting to sound like an extreme nerd... Uhm...

23rd of November 2004 (technically earlier with the beta) and I am still going strong, haven't been unsubscribed for more than a week, which was due to late payment of salary, which was in.. Wrath.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    My sub hasn't lapsed once since August 2005.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

10+ Year Old Account
    Subscribed on my main account since Molten Core release in Vanilla.
    Picked up second account during WoTLK release (to make second DK on same server)
    Picked up 3rd account during Catcaclysm.
    Picked up 4th account during MOP.

Canceled 3rd and 4th accounts during WOD.

Currently have 2 Active WoW accounts (licenses). Thinking of canceling the second one and consolidating all my toons to one account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    Subscribed on my main account since Molten Core release in Vanilla.
    Picked up second account during WoTLK release (to make second DK on same server)
    Picked up 3rd account during Catcaclysm.
    Picked up 4th account during MOP.

Canceled 3rd and 4th accounts during WOD.

Currently have 2 Active WoW accounts (licenses). Thinking of canceling the second one and consolidating all my toons to one account.

Why so many accounts, if I may ask?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mingarrubia View Post
    Why so many accounts, if I may ask?
    Second account was to make a second DK on the same server. Back in WoTLK Blizzard restricted players to 1 DK per server per acc. I needed a second one to play with some friends.

Third account was because I got sent (by work) to a remote location for a while suddenly and I didnt have time to install wow to my work PC. So I bought a fresh copy of WoW in the new place (to scratch the itch).

4th account was to get a free high level alt that I wanted and was too lazy to level up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Subbed since 2009 without ever unsubbing, so I subbed for a bit over half of WOTLK, and 100% of the duration for every expansion after WOTLK. Had my second account since Cata without the sub lapsing. My 3rd account (that I play regularly) is one of those accounts that I can not touch (and not sub with) for months on end and then have it running actively for a year. All depends on current long-term plans.

10+ Year Old Account
    nonstop since start of tbc
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    I carried my sub thru bc, wrath, and catacllysm without a pause. Unsubbed during the second half of Mop. Re-subbed for Wod and have unsubbed for legion. I really don't think i'm buying into the next expansion, but i could be wrong.

Way to long... I'm actually afraid to look it up.

Halfway through Vanilla when i started playing, all of BC/Wotlk/Cata/MoP (annual pass lol) only half of WoD, all of Legion so far