Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Ageism - the secret discrimination

Having seen a recent thread on MMO asking "How old you are" , I came to the conclusion that the average age of respondents on this forum
    is around the mid 30 year old range.

Thats fantastic. As in the mid 30s you should be making positive moves in life and your career etc.

However, in this society of looking good and youngish, as soon as an individual starts to hit the middle age range of 45 plus.
    Then things can start to go downhill.

If you are made redundant in the mid 40's or 50's , Human resource consultants tend to put you at the bottom of the pile when applying for a job.
    This can be upsetting as you may have the correct skills & experience for the role.

There is an assumption in the modern workplace that older workers can not pick up IT skills too.

To join the army or armed forces the cut off could be around 50 years.. Even though you can be very fit at 50.

Even young people around 16 or 17 can experience Ageism..Not enough experience

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...get/432712001/

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/ageism...02-13ta5q.html

https://www.theguardian.com/sustaina...-slow-to-learn

Unlike all other prejudices, ageism is relevant to every person fortunate enough to make it beyond 60 years of age.

Ageism is discrimination based on prejudices about age. When ageism is directed at older people, it often involves the assumptions that older people are less competent than younger people. Ageism can have a huge negative impact on older people.

Our society is not treating older people as equals. In fact, we are marginalizing their participation and minimizing their contributions.
    To live up to our ideals, we must confront the injustice of ageism.

Has anyone on MMO experienced some form of discrimination due to ageism ?

Deleted
    Im guessing pedophiles are just heroes standing up to ageism.

Deleted
    Many times.

This week, we had a guy coming for a job interview.

Very skilled, did not ask for much pay. I would love to have hired him.

My boss, however, said no due to his age of 57. "Too many people hear close to heart attack already" was the argument.

Are you sure?

I think the last poll said median age here is 16 with lots of people even younger and then the weirdos of 40+ who frequent a nerd teen website.

But yea ageism is a reason why I could not work in Recruitment anymore. It was disgusting listening to the hiring manager of a company breaking a leg at trying to tell me that he doesn't want anyone older than 35.

These assholes. And this is standard practice. They ALL do it.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2017-08-19 at 08:19 AM.

This issue is alot more focused on women often. Which is weird when you think it, you see plently of 40 years old women that are still attractive. But at the same time, ageism when it comes to dating is logical to a degree. Ageism when it comes to everything else is not logical i made plently of coworking friends that are a decade older or younger than me over the years. But yeah in jobs i seen it happen too. I think this is disgusting and the years some people bar from their mind is not even logical. Someone 50 right now is like older times 30+ years old and most of the healthy 70s are like someone 50, this will only become more and more true in the future. Are we still gona bar someone 60 years old from a job in the future when everyone lives past 100 years old? I mean we expect people to just sit around for the majority of their lives in the future?
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-08-19 at 08:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    This issue is alot more focused on women often. Which is weird when you think it, you see plently.of 40 years old women that are still attractive. But at the same time, ageism when it comes to dating is logical to a degree. Ageism when it.comes.to.everything else is not.logical. i made plently of coworking friends that are a decade older or.younger than me over the years.
    This is not gender specific unless you can bring for actual relevant sources proving this, blogs and random social media or one of a kind news stories do not apply.

This is not a new issue, this is the reason why governments give benefits to companies that seek to re-enable older work force.
    Somehow there is a logic in there but somewhere there also is not, it used to be so that if you start at a company you generally would be there for the rest of your life this is not longer the case and companies often lay off people and hire others again to meet market demands, this is done under the notion of a more flexible work force also.

However at the same time they are reluctant to higher older staff since they don't find it worth investing in them and also they often don't recruit people that need to be trained up too much because they are not certain you'll stick around.

Let's simply assume that a lot of companies their HR and recruitment department don't really know what they want or are reporting to someone who don't know what they want. Since how they go about things are far from logical.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    This is not gender specific unless you can bring for actual relevant sources proving this, blogs and random social media or one of a kind news stories do not apply.

This is not a new issue, this is the reason why governments give benefits to companies that seek to re-enable older work force.
    Somehow there is a logic in there but somewhere there also is not, it used to be so that if you start at a company you generally would be there for the rest of your life this is not longer the case and companies often lay off people and hire others again to meet market demands, this is done under the notion of a more flexible work force also.

However at the same time they are reluctant to higher older staff since they don't find it worth investing in them and also they often don't recruit people that need to be trained up too much because they are not certain you'll stick around.

Let's simply assume that a lot of companies their HR and recruitment department don't really know what they want or are reporting to someone who don't know what they want. Since how they go about things are far from logical.
    I did not say its not happening to men. I said its even worse to women. They get written off even younger. I know this because ive been in HR for half my working life now. Some of my own coworker display this trait. When you are a 40 years old women its already proven not only is it harder to get hired then a younger women, but then a same age man. Eventually both catch up and meet up past 50s where both can send hundred of resume and get put at the end of every list. As you said its not logical anymore. Ive personally never had to block someone due to age, but part of it is because some of the older people eventually give up and think sending resume to higher standard jobs is just pointless.

Many old people with a very good resume with diploma and experience ends up working blue collar stuff with minimal wage, it is a very bad part that we often dont talk about.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-08-19 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    But yea ageism is a reason why I could not work in Recruitment anymore. It was disgusting listening to the hiring manager of a company breaking a leg at trying to tell me that he doesn't want anyone older than 35.

These assholes. And this is standard practice. They ALL do it.
    And if a potential Older candidate found out they where turned down because of their age. Then they could sue the company big time.. esp in Australia

I think a lot of young Managers are scared of employees old than them, who may have more experience..

My Boss is a young Manager by 10 years.. And we get on like a house on fire.. I just give him respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    And if a potential Older candidate found out they where turned down because of their age. Then they could sue the company big time.. esp in Australia

I think a lot of young Managers are scared of employees old than them, who may have more experience..

My Boss is a young Manager by 10 years.. And we get on like a house on fire.. I just give him respect.
    I know. And then there's the misconception that it's the recruiters or the HR consultants who don't want them because of their age. No, they get their orders from higher ups or clients. As a consultant you'd love all these 50yrs +. So much XP, so much skill. But the client doesn't want them because I, too, believe that they don't want real competition for their own positions.

And we're talking about big companies here, like AXA insurances. Screw you AXA, looking for 30 years old developers for fucking Python. Idiots.

Well, in the programming business there's a lot of ageism because the technology changes so often and the older you get the harder it is to keep your skills current.

Factory work on an assembly line? I can't see why you wouldn't hire an older guy long as you can get 5 years out of him before he retires.

Currently the US is at 4% unemployment rate which means that if you have a pulse someone will give you a job.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I know. And then there's the misconception that it's the recruiters or the HR consultants who don't want them because of their age. No, they get their orders from higher ups or clients. As a consultant you'd love all these 50yrs +. So much XP, so much skill. But the client doesn't want them because I, too, believe that they don't want real competition for their own positions.

And we're talking about big companies here, like AXA insurances. Screw you AXA, looking for 30 years old developers for fucking Python. Idiots.
    Funny.. I used to think it was the HR company with a age bias.
    So it comes from the Manager of the company.

I guess with so many redundancies and a part time job market becoming more prominent , then more people will have to become a expert in something and become a consultant..

I presume that a 20 something year old manager would hire a 50 year old consultant for 6 months who is an expert with IT security.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Well, in the programming business there's a lot of ageism because the technology changes so often and the older you get the harder it is to keep your skills current.

Factory work on an assembly line? I can't see why you wouldn't hire an older guy long as you can get 5 years out of him before he retires.

Currently the US is at 4% unemployment rate which means that if you have a pulse someone will give you a job.
    Yeah the USA Job Market is Humming thanks to Trump

In Australia , Unemployment is at 5.6%... But there is a lot of Under employment.

Some people are working between 10 to 20 hours a week.. A lot of work is casual or part time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Funny.. I used to think it was the HR company with a age bias.
    So it comes from the Manager of the company.

I guess with so many redundancies and a part time job market becoming more prominent , then more people will have to become a expert in something and become a consultant..

I presume that a 20 something year old manager would hire a 50 year old consultant for 6 months who is an expert with IT security.
    If age wasn't a problem with the client I would have closed two deals per week. Most applicants are 45+, because they're desperate to find a new position after being made redundant at their old company. Or they are 18-21 because they can't find a job due to lack of experience, thinking I could help them in (which I never could).

I also have never seen a 20 years old manager truth be told. None of them are this young... if you ever talk to someone who is that age and has a "manager" in his title, it's marketing bullcrap and his teamleader is sitting on his back watching every step he takes.

But yes, for freelancers ageism doesn't matter that much. But even as a freelancer there is the unfounded assumption that they're not up to the new technology development. Which is crap, a freelancer will usually keep himself up to date with the newest techs. They're geeks for fucks sake, something the retard HR manager doesn't understand.

Deleted
    Here are my views as a business owner and employer:

- My first rule: I don't hire anyone older than me, the owner. Older people have their experiences and will often (unwillingly) play on seniority.
    - Younger people are "easier" to mold and adept. They arent used to a certain company culture for years/decades and the younger you are, the easier you learn.
    - On the topic of learning itself: I often get older people applying for jobs and they all show the same pattern. They got a degree decades ago and they never developed themsevels after that. So, they have an ancient degree with outdated knowledge and on top of that only experience with doing the same job theyve done for years.
    - Younger people are more energetic, eager to build a career and prove themselves, etc.
    - Older people are simply clueless when it comes to many modern technical aspects of a job. Where young people constantly have to change and adapt, older people tend to be stuck somewehre in the last century. You'd be amazed how many 45+ people look at you as some sort of a IT wizard if you can make a textballoon in MS Word.
    - Talking about IT, it's super annoying how older people tend to call anyone that can even do the most basic things with a computer a "nerd".

One thing I wanted to add as well: if you are "old" and you apply for jobs that require no skill, a business will always go for the younger option. So make sure you have valuable skills, knowlede and exprience when you grow older. Otherwise, at some point, you will have screwed yourself over.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Here are my views as a business owner and employer:

- My first rule: I don't hire anyone older than me, the owner. Older people have their experiences and will often (unwillingly) play on seniority.
    - Younger people are "easier" to mold and adept. They arent used to a certain company culture for years/decades and the younger you are, the easier you learn.
    - On the topic of learning itself: I often get older people applying for jobs and they all show the same pattern. They got a degree decades ago and they never developed themsevels after that. So, they have an ancient degree with outdated knowledge and on top of that only experience with doing the same job theyve done for years.
    - Younger people are more energetic, eager to build a career and prove themselves, etc.
    - Older people are simply clueless when it comes to many modern technical aspects of a job. Where young people constantly have to change and adapt, older people tend to be stuck somewehre in the last century. You'd be amazed how many 45+ people look at you as some sort of a IT wizard if you can make a textballoon in MS Word.
    - Talking about IT, it's super annoying how older people tend to call anyone that can even do the most basic things with a computer a "nerd".

One thing I wanted to add as well: if you are "old" and you apply for jobs that require no skill, a business will always go for the younger option. So make sure you have valuable skills, knowlede and exprience when you grow older. Otherwise, at some point, you will have screwed yourself over.
    So your company is full of 14 years olds? Because that's the logic of a 15 years old.

Deleted
    And also, if you are older you should have plenty of life experience to try and start your own business.

If I was 45+ and no one would hire, I would take action and working day and night to make it happen. Not waiting for someone to take pity on you and maybe offer you another temporary job.

People just weem too used to having others handing them a job it seems. This only happened between 1960 and 2006. We are back to how it was before that (and always was in many non-Western countries) . We ourselves are responsible for out future. The cushy years are over.

And also, if you are older you should have plenty of life experience to try and start your own business.

If I was 45+ and no one would hire, I would take action and working day and night to make it happen. Not waiting for someone to take pity on you and maybe offer you another temporary job.

People just weem too used to having others handing them a job it seems. This only happened between 1960 and 2006. We are back to how it was before that (and always was in many non-Western countries) . We ourselves are responsible for out future. The cushy years are over.
    What are you talking about? People who are older have massive amounts of experience which no young person can match up to. They have connections and can open doors to ventures you can't even think of. Even as a company owner. I took two client with me when I switched jobs last year which the new company couldn't penetrate. I generated 6 figure business with them. And I am 29. Imagine I had 20 more years to build relationships with companies. I would shit on a 20 years old who just finished university.

The problem is with people like you who don't want to pay the higher wages and have authority issues.

If that was a deciding factor, there would have not be an ageism for +45 IT professionals, but there is.

Deleted
    What are you talking about? People who are older have massive amounts of experience which no young person can match up to. They have connections and can open doors to ventures you can't even think of.
    But appearently none that can get them a job.
    And if they indeed have connections, all the more reason to start for themselves.

But appearently none that can get them a job.
    And if they indeed have connections, all the more reason to start for themselves.
    You joker, the reasons for that I've explained above. Nobody gives them a chance because they're like you, afraid of hiring people who can challenge them. This shit was my bread and butter for years. I know how hiring managers tick in their heads.

Freelancers at that age have a much easier time because they'll be there for only a short period of time. They use their skills and then pay them huge money for it. But they're gone after 6-24 months. Weird how 50+ years old freelancers are almost commonplace but not perms. I wonder whyyyy.....

A perm hire on the other hand is a problem for them though. High skill sets demand high wages, and properly educated people of that age with their working experience are a high threat to the authority of the hiring manager, as well as the direct supervisor of the department the new person will work at.

And many people don't want to start their own business. Why would they? High risk and a time eater. No project, no money. Private insurance eating away your money. Gotta pay all training yourself, etc. Some of them DO start their own business, as freelancers. But I can see why some people just want to be employees rather than employers.

I've worked with a team of mid 20 years olds. Shit was awful, so much drama, so much unnecessary partying. I don't need friends at work, I need professionals who know how to get shit done. These people tend to be in their mid to end 30 and above.

Who's gonna learn from whom anyway in a team full of pretentious children?

Well on the Bright side.. There is quite a few employers still looking for Older workers

And this is because Older workers are more loyal
    And they will do their best to keep their job

I am a Mature Worker. I am 53.

How I found my position & to find other positions is to put one magic word in the search engine of Seek.com or any other online job search site..

That magic word is "MATURE"