Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Putting the impact of UBI on society aside, I generally support the notion of replacing 55 government programs that assist the poor, that bleed money in administration, with giving the poor ALL of that money, every dime of it, directly. The arguments being made that in essence, we already have UBI, are pretty convincing, imo. We are just doing it now via giant bureaucracies, instead of just handing the cash over.

I also think most are arguing in favor of UBI to fix a problem that isn't yet a problem, and may never become one. In 1850, if you had told the world that the industrial revolution would destroy 95% of the jobs (due to 97% of jobs being farming), we would have likely considered something like Basic Income then. As it turned out, the industrial revolution created more jobs than it destroyed. We don't know what jobs will exist in the future, so it's hard to say if this will ever be needed.

I also would say that I find the notion that those with means would ever those without starve to death to be a bit silly. If anything, the people would just revolt. So, this is a scenario not worth considering.
    Well you pretty much hit the nail on the head, I mean I can understand the argument that says maybe we should do neither, but the idea that we should do one and not the other even a little bit is missing the over all point without meat in that argument.

I personally I agree UBI would be a nice idea but it is a bit pie in the sky mostly because people don't really even know what they have right now or what is going on which contributes to waste and lame programs.

Yes and your last line is spot on and I don't think I even need to agree, what you stated are just facts. I am not in favor of people not working, but I am also not in favor of letting people starve to death or go without shelter, or healthcare especially when all those things effect me.

In terms of what I pay in taxes, and social conscience.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucerian View Post
    I guess people will just take their government checks and not care about purposelessness.
    I don't think doing useless work is much of a cure for purposelessness. We'll need a change in our way of societal thinking.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    How do you envision people that still work? Do they get a reduced amount or same across the board for everyone?
    I know I'm answering another's pointed question, so apologies. But it's a good question.

I would envision the UBI going to everyone - period. And if you work, then that income goes on top of the UBI. So you only work if you want to, not because you have to.

And yeah, I know there are tons of problems with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KyrtF View Post
    Maybe so.

There is however no alternative.
    There are several alternatives. Which one wins out will be determined by the relative levels of human compassion, greed, and tribalism.
    The rich could let the poor die from starvation.
    The powerful could incite wars to remove the 'excess population'.
    Slavery could make a comeback.

I'm betting on UBI

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    How do you envision people that still work? Do they get a reduced amount or same across the board for everyone?
    Same amount they get now, unless taxes are increased, then they get a decrease as taxes go up because they're being taxed more