Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    They're unrelated concepts. Cheating on his wife isn't "disrespecting women", it's disrespecting his wife. I agree it's a shitty thing to do, but it isn't about gender at all.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/feminism

noun
    1. the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.
    2. (sometimes initial capital letter) an organized movement for the attainment of such rights for women.

This really isn't a complex concept. If you think women should have equal rights, you're a feminist.
    Nope. You're wrong. You can link the definition like a pompous twat all you want but you can't force a label on people. Sucks you can't just call someone a decent person for wanting equal rights and treatment for everyone be they man, woman, whatever skin color, whatever sexual orientation or anything else a person may or may not be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Oh come on, look at what you are saying. Do you think he cheated on his wife out of respect for women?
    We're pointing out it's an irrelevant factor. He didn't respect his wife all that much (assuming it's true), but that's disrespecting an individual, not a class of people.

Do you think the women he slept with had sex with him because he's a good looking guy?
    He's not exactly Danny Devito, either. Plus, plenty of other reasons; he's relatively smart, funny, etc. He's rich. He's well-connected. Etc.

Are you suggesting there is no abuse of power here?
    We're saying you'd need a hell of a lot more evidence to show that, including, say, literally anyone claiming he did so. And there isn't. Not even his ex-wife.

They're unrelated concepts. Cheating on his wife isn't "disrespecting women", it's disrespecting his wife. I agree it's a shitty thing to do, but it isn't about gender at all.

noun
    1. the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.
    2. (sometimes initial capital letter) an organized movement for the attainment of such rights for women.

This really isn't a complex concept. If you think women should have equal rights, you're a feminist.
    She's not a woman that shouldn't be disrespected?

And fuck that noise. I respect women. I want nothing to do with the dumpster fire that is feminism.

A man cheated on his wife? Well there's a shocker. Clearly all feminism is wrong.

P.S. If you had to hate a work because its author/producer/director cheated on a significant other I dare say that'd rule out just about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Mmmmmm, "ex-wife".
    So she must be a lying piece of shit!

No wait she's saying something bad about a "feminist"! So it must all be the truth!

*WARNING LOGIC OVERLOAD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Minifie View Post
    I mean, if you are a men's rights activist, you are for equal rights, anything else is just wrong.
    I think that every single person should have the same rights and equality. I don't believe any gender, skin color, or sexual orientation to be better or worse than any of the rest.
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    That's a retarded argument. Are none feminists exempt from the -Do not cheat- standard? What if it's a male feminist who is gay and in a relationship with a man, is he exempt?

This is stupid.

Yes, cheating is bad and I couldn't give a shit about Joss Whedon or feminism in general, but the two are fucking unrelated.
    Nope. I'm having fun with Endus. Cheating is terrible. I just think assbags who talk about respecting women and protecting the sanctity of marriage (Two different extremes of being preachy) cheating is worse because hypocrisy.

It's all terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    So I have to be a feminist since I like the idea of equality of sexes even if I don't want the label?
    If you've got an issue with the label but not what the label stands for then your issue is entirely superficial and pointless in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    She's not a woman that shouldn't be disrespected?
    You're back to making shit up. This isn't the first time. I'm not entertaining this nonsense any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    Virtue signalers paradox: Complaining about virtue signaling and characterizing those who virtue signal is a form of virtue signaling.
    Just calling people out on their bullshit, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I think that every single person should have the same rights and equality. I don't believe any gender, skin color, or sexual orientation to be better or worse than any of the rest.
    Welcome to the personhood of Egalitarianism! Don't let the radical feminists fool or bully you into that bullshit about how you're either with them or you're a woman-hating misogynist!

noun

I feel it is important to acknowledge the fact that even though there are "official" definitions for a word, people will and do use certain words differently. The meaning of a word changes between people in different counties, in different parts of countries; they even can be used differently between groups of people who belong to different ideologies.

I would argue that the vast majority of people who say they aren't a feminist aren't saying that they don't believe men and women should be equal. They are just stating that they are not a part of the movement, which they may feel has become obsolete or maybe just not agree with the behavior of the group as a whole and do not want to be associated with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you've got an issue with the label but not what the label stands for then your issue is entirely superficial and pointless in the first place.

You're back to making shit up. This isn't the first time. I'm not entertaining this nonsense any more.
    You're the one that's full of shit by telling people they have to accept a label if they want equality for all. Best you do stop entertaining this nonsense and stop being so full of yourself. You're 100% wrong get over it.

Nope. You're wrong. You can link the definition like a pompous twat all you want but you can't force a label on people. Sucks you can't just call someone a decent person for wanting equal rights and treatment for everyone be they man, woman, whatever skin color, whatever sexual orientation or anything else a person may or may not be.
    You can call feminists decent people if you want to, nobody is stopping you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Since you conveniently ignored it the first time:

Bullshit. If you think men and women should have equal rights and opportunities, then you are an egalitarian:

Definition of egalitarianism
    1: a belief in human equality especially with respect to social, political, and economic affairs

2: a social philosophy advocating the removal of inequalities among people.
    Feminists only care about lobbying for more power for females. They don't give a shit about equality - just ask a feminist what they think about an area that women have serious advantages over men due to ingrained prejudices (like custody hearings) and just watch how fast they tune you out or dismiss it.

Modern feminism is NOT about equality - it's about empowering females and ONLY females. If they had the chance, modern feminists would exchange what they perceive as a patriarchy with a matriarchy with zero hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    It's possible. It's possible that he used his position to manipulate women into sleeping with him. But unless/until female cast members or staff from his shows come forward to spill the tea, I'm not inclined to believe that his trysts were anything but consensual.

I read the comments more along the lines of him having strong women pursuing him, and him not having the strength to say no. Assuming he actually cheated at all, since this is all based on the word of an ex-lover who clearly has an agenda since she's making all of this public.
    Power imbalance doesn't mean that a relstionship cannot be consensual, just that the disadvantaged side is going to be more submissive to their partner.

As for the comment itself, thats a generous reading. He makes a clear reference to feeling powerful, if he wanted to say he felt tempted and restrained, there a million ways of saying that without mentioning power. For examples:

" I felt like I was in the gates of heaven".

You can be a feminist and a shitty spouse at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive positions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Welcome to the personhood of Egalitarianism! Don't let the radical feminists fool or bully you into that bullshit about how you're either with them or you're a woman-hating misogynist!
    Apparently Endus just can't grasp this concept.

So does that mean that egalitarianism is like #AllLivesMatter in it's message?

Apparently Endus just can't grasp this concept.
    Does that really surprise you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You can call feminists decent people if you want to, nobody is stopping you.
    That's all well and good but this hard on people like Endus have for forcing labels on people is really irritating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Since you conveniently ignored it the first time:

Bullshit. If you think men and women should have equal rights and opportunities, then you are an egalitarian:
    I didn't ignore it. I didn't specifically respond because I'd also provided a definition of feminism. The two aren't at odds. There's a lot of overlap. I'm not disputing that. You aren't one or the other; you're typically both. This isn't a case where you have to choose.

It's like getting upset when I say your cupcake is a "cake", because you insist that it's a "dessert". Those aren't mutually exclusive terms.