Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

What happened to all the moderates?

Are there any left in the United States or has everybody been forced to pick an extreme side? A

Are there still people out there that research candidates based on their records and not their political affiliation?

What about people that think the government can be more fiscally conservative AND also be socially liberal?

Do people think for themselves any more or do they just look up whether a person is a Republican or Democrat before deciding to agree or disagree with them?

Please tell me I'm not the only person concerned that our government and media are being overtaken by extremes on BOTH the left AND the right?

Deleted
    There's two approaches. Either convince the moderates, or cater to your diehards and hope the other side disgusts the moderates more than you do. The first leads to better policy - and likely better candidates - but the second one can win you elections as well.

I'm reasonably confident there's not just plenty but a majority of moderates, but a) political parties tend to attract people with already strong convictions and b) the way primaries work, rallying your 'base' might be the best bet to get media attention, donors, volunteers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post

Moderates, you mean the "Radical Center" ?
    I enjoy how every meme on this subject portrays the "far left" as just a typical modern liberal, whilst contrasting them with an extreme "far right" example... Ignoring that there are actual fringe left elements in this country that are legitimately retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably just eating popcorn.

I lean liberal on quite a few social issues and some fiscal, but I also lean conservative on others. I do not understand why I have to ascribe to one side or the other. What kills me is that, from my observations, people on the left will make fun of and denigrate someone says they're in the center. They love to make fun of the term "centrist." I have yet to see those on the right make fun of centrists, but I would love to see examples.

For example, if I think we should cut down on immigration for now, but also wanna focus on retraining Americans for jobs they lost due to obsolescence or automation by using taxpayer money to do it, and I believe in a single payer system, and I also wanna give more freedom to states and less power to federal government, what the hell am I supposed to call myself?!

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I enjoy how every meme on this subject portrays the "far left" as just a typical modern liberal, whilst contrasting them with an extreme "far right" example... Ignoring that there are actual fringe left elements in this country that are legitimately retarded.
    I feel like political comics get more credit than they deserve, I've seen so much of this shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Deleted
    Being a moderate and able to see and understand the arguments of both the radical feminist, the anarchist, the nazi and the islamophobe at least on some level that's enough to not scream and shout and curse the world every day of your life requires above average intelligence, and guess what, most people are not above average (naturally). So these people are rare.

Also, humility is seen as weakness. If you don't know all the facts or think there might be nuance, don't say it out loud. Just pick a side and scream at the opposing side.
    Last edited by mmocadd85def5d; 2017-08-17 at 11:52 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalem View Post
    Are there any left in the United States or has everybody been forced to pick an extreme side? A

Are there still people out there that research candidates based on their records and not their political affiliation?

What about people that think the government can be more fiscally conservative AND also be socially liberal?

Do people think for themselves any more or do they just look up whether a person is a Republican or Democrat before deciding to agree or disagree with them?

Please tell me I'm not the only person concerned that our government and media are being overtaken by extremes on BOTH the left AND the right?
    They get bullied by the extremists elements.

Disagree with the radical Communists? You're a facist

Disagree with the radical Facists? You're a communist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the time when you call out racism or the likes on this board you -do- get called a filthy librul or SJW etc.
    And there are retarded fringe leftists who call everything under the sun racist, sexist, homophobic, etc...

Your point?

Deleted
    Most of the time when you call out racism or the likes on this board you -do- get called a filthy librul or SJW etc.
    Because usually it's not Racism when it's called out, it's some stupid made up thing like Islamophobia when talking about Legitimate issues regarded the Religion. Maybe if Regressives were not so quick to try and shut down every argument and insult people and acting like reasonable people with logical discourse, you'd not be disregarded as raving madmen.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Checked out the artists twitter since everyone has one of those these days..

"matt ◉ lubchansky‏@Lubchansky
    boy oh boy this president sure does love nazis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "
    Safe to say they are an idiot as is the poster who conflated being a moderate with being a centerist.

Moderate is other word for undecided, and most often a descriptor for those who don't care either way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Because usually it's not Racism when it's called out, it's some stupid made up thing like Islamophobia when talking about Legitimate issues regarded the Religion. Maybe if Regressives were not so quick to try and shut down every argument and insult people and acting like reasonable people with logical discourse, you'd not be disregarded as raving madmen.
    Here we see a perfect example of the anti-moderate. Someone who says that "islamophobia" is made up. A moderate can understand that islamophobia is definately not made up, but at the same time many of the far left overuse and abuse the word. So the issue is complex, but it's however much easier to delegitimize the opposing view and not have to deal with it.

Deleted
    Why would you even pretend there is a difference between racism and islamophobia? Different shades of intolerance against minorities is still intolerance.
    Because Islam is an Ideology, and you cannot be Bigoted against an Ideology. I don't hate the people, I hate the Doctrine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    Here we see a perfect example of the anti-moderate. Someone who says that "islamophobia" is made up. A moderate can understand that islamophobia is definately not made up, but at the same time many of the far left overuse and abuse the word. So the issue is complex, but it's however much easier to delegitimize the opposing view and not have to deal with it.
    It's not complex at all though. There is literally no such thing as Islamophobia. Either you're racist against people who are predominately Muslim ( or Not ) Or you hate the Ideology.

There is nothing wrong with hating an Ideology. You cannot discriminate against an Ideology.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you for or against freedom of religion?
    No. But Religion is not exempt from Criticism. In fact, Religion should be Criticized at every moment it can.

ANY RELIGION.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pionock View Post
    I lean liberal on quite a few social issues and some fiscal, but I also lean conservative on others. I do not understand why I have to ascribe to one side or the other. What kills me is that, from my observations, people on the left will make fun of and denigrate someone says they're in the center. They love to make fun of the term "centrist." I have yet to see those on the right make fun of centrists, but I would love to see examples.

For example, if I think we should cut down on immigration for now, but also wanna focus on retraining Americans for jobs they lost due to obsolescence or automation by using taxpayer money to do it, and I believe in a single payer system, and I also wanna give more freedom to states and less power to federal government, what the hell am I supposed to call myself?!
    Left wing - at least with regard to us politics?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you even pretend there is a difference between racism and islamophobia? Different shades of intolerance against minorities is still intolerance.

I've never heard anyone complain that 'hating on muslims isn't racism' who wasn't an outright white supremacist.
    You literally just proved his point... You are going on about racism, white supremacy, intolerance, etc... All he did was mention fringe leftists getting triggered by people raising legitimate concerns about the religion.

Do you think women should be forced to cover themselves? Do you think they should be made subservient to men? Do you think survivors of rape should be forced to marry to their rapist? Etc...? Those are all facets of Islam in many Islamic countries? Are you saying we should tolerate these things? Because when people raise the above issues, fringe leftists actually call that Islamaphobia...

Deleted
    I've never heard anyone complain that 'hating on muslims isn't racism' who wasn't an outright white supremacist.
    I am most definitely not a White Supremacist, and I hate Islam with a divine passion.

However, I work with, have friends with and have dated Muslims. Because Islam is an ideology, not a Race, not a people. I cannot hate people just because I find their religion choice counter-productive. I just hope one day they can change that Ideology for the better or abandon it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where are all the people that can't say everybody is right?

I don't know maybe to fucking mars, so they don't need to be bothered by all the people that actually do something one way or another as opposed to sticking their thumbs up their ass. Sometimes you have to stand up and pick where that is.

People that are moderate now are extreme fence sitters who, never gave a shit about anything in the first place but will be the first ones to tell you they for which ever way the wind was blowing the entire time.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Sitting back and enjoying the shitshow i guess.