Do Male Esports Players Really Overly Harass Women Who Compete?

I was curious about why I barely see women in esports. So I decided to look for reasons why. I found a few articles and threads mentioning how male esports players like to verbally harass women players. How they look down on women, and if they encounter one that's good they accuse of cheating. I hear that Hearthstone doesn;t allow women to compete in main leagues. I found these to be just plain stupid. Why would anyone treat women differently in a gender nuetral competition like esports?

Maybe it's just the lack of women who try to compete? Maybe the ones that get the same harassment as male players can't handle it as well? Are Esports recruiters harsher on women than men who try to compete at the same level? Like you have to be an acceptional women compared to weaker male players who are picked over you? Are women born worse at video games? Or are all of these articles a load of BS? I'm curious what the issue is.

Deleted
    What's 'overly' harass? They harass - bad, or they don't - fine. Some thrashtalk is fine in sports, but there must be a line.

15+ Year Old Account
    Men are more interested in games than women by an incredibly large margin. That is why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Don't they do that to everyone?
    Maybe the ones that get the same harassment as male players can't handle it as well?
    Well that for one. Most of us don't run out and make a big deal about it everytime someone is mean to us.
    Maybe it's just the lack of women who try to compete?
    Most likely I would say. Seems like a very small percentage of most games is female and perhaps they just make a big deal about it.
    Or are all of these articles a load of BS? I'm curious what the issue is.
    lot of this. Most of these article authors I'm betting are by women. Since you didn't actuallly link any I can't support that guess.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    What's 'overly' harass? They harass - bad, or they don't - fine. Some thrashtalk is fine in sports, but there must be a line.
    Some forum post and a few articles said some crap about women getting the smack talk that comes with esports worse then men from other men or something. If there are any famous esport players telling women trying to compete to kill themselves or that women cant play for shit or something, I don;t think theyd still have many fans. So I wasnt sure if this was crap or not?

Example: this guy named Healer mentions it in this thread: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/over...ic/20755545788
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2017-08-22 at 11:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the people who competitively play video games are autistic neck beards and socially retarded Asians... They don't harass women... They probably spill their spaghetti just looking at women.

This on top of the fact that 99% of what anyone says to anyone in video games is toxic, racism, hate speech, threats, abuse, etc... It isn't something unique to female players... Especially since unless you are talking over voice chat, they won't even know you are a woman unless you tell them...

Please post productively and respectfully. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-08-23 at 12:01 AM.

Closing this as it's definitely crossing the line into discussing gender issues, which aren't allowed in this forum given how easily/often discussion ends up getting out of hand even with the best of intentions.