Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

How are pencils made?

This is probably going to be a worrying insight into how my brain thinks when bored but do you ever just wonder how certain trivial everyday products are made such as pencils, soap or even mops

Deleted
    in a factory

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    in a factory
    in china by 8 year olds

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    in a factory
    That's wear and by not how

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    This is probably going to be a worrying insight into how my brain thinks when bored but do you ever just wonder how certain trivial everyday products are made such as pencils, soap or even mops

Deleted
    pretty sure theres a how its made episode on that.

That's wear and by not how
    no that's where. Also there's videos on this.

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

With lead, that dangerous stuff!

15+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me of this.

Look at this lead pencil. There’s not a single person in the world who could make this pencil. Remarkable statement? Not at all. The wood from which it is made, for all I know, comes from a tree that was cut down in the state of Washington. To cut down that tree, it took a saw. To make the saw, it took steel. To make steel, it took iron ore. This black center—we call it lead but it’s really graphite, compressed graphite—I’m not sure where it comes from, but I think it comes from some mines in South America. This red top up here, this eraser, a bit of rubber, probably comes from Malaya, where the rubber tree isn’t even native! It was imported from South America by some businessmen with the help of the British government. This brass ferrule? [Self-effacing laughter.] I haven’t the slightest idea where it came from. Or the yellow paint! Or the paint that made the black lines. Or the glue that holds it together. Literally thousands of people co-operated to make this pencil. People who don’t speak the same language, who practice different religions, who might hate one another if they ever met! When you go down to the store and buy this pencil, you are in effect trading a few minutes of your time for a few seconds of the time of all those thousands of people. What brought them together and induced them to cooperate to make this pencil? There was no commissar sending … out orders from some central office. It was the magic of the price system: the impersonal operation of prices that brought them together and got them to cooperate, to make this pencil, so you could have it for a trifling sum.
    https://thenewinquiry.com/milton-friedmans-pencil/

Deleted
    I know there's videos XD the question is do you ever have these thoughts

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Love it and it explains how sometimes my bored mind thinks

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly love watching shows like "How it's Made" and "How do they do it?", making trivial things interesting.

No, nobody has ever thought about how something is made. Nobody has ever watched those videos that were just linked, and nobody researched into it to make those videos. You are mankind's chosen and are clearly the way forward when it comes to science, religion, and morality as a whole.

I know I'm sounding like an asshole but damn you ask silly questions.

You see, when a mommy pencil and a daddy pencil love each other very much.....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glowzone View Post
    No, nobody has ever thought about how something is made. Nobody has ever watched those videos that were just linked, and nobody researched into it to make those videos. You are mankind's chosen and are clearly the way forward when it comes to science, religion, and morality as a whole.
    O RLY?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    You see, when a mommy pencil and a daddy pencil love each other very much.....

Doesnt england have a kids show on TV that teach kids how stuff is made ?
    I thought its very commen since the 70s in europe/us.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

The big benefit of civilization is that you dont have to think about how a lot of stuff works or is made.

those videos are nice and all but they are really just a cursory glance at how a pencil is made. they show a level of infrastructure that allows a high level process to occur, but you should pause at every scene in the videos and think: what did it take for this to be possible?

How is a machine that cuts leads made? Where do its raw materials come from? How is all that stuff transported around? Where did the energy (electricity, fuel, etc) needed come from? What skills did people need to make the machine? If you do just a one or two steps of those kind of questions you'll quickly realise over ten thousand people were involved in making that pencil.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Doesnt england have a kids show on TV that teach kids how stuff is made ?
    I thought its very commen since the 70s in europe/us.
    You think it's common for people to know the detailed involvement of how everything is made? Most people know a pencil is grafite incased in wood but not how

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    The big benefit of civilization is that you dont have to think about how a lot of stuff works or is made.

those videos are nice and all but they are really just a cursory glance at how a pencil is made. they show a level of infrastructure that allows a high level process to occur, but you should pause at every scene in the videos and think: what did it take for this to be possible?

How is a machine that cuts leads made? Where do its raw materials come from? How is all that stuff transported around? Where did the energy (electricity, fuel, etc) needed come from? What skills did people need to make the machine? If you do just a one or two steps of those kind of questions you'll quickly realise over ten thousand people were involved in making that pencil.
    Oh I totally do occasionally think this