Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Thumbs up Protesters blocking traffic, injured by car in St. Louis intersection

Source

ST. LOUIS – Marchers protesting the fatal police shooting of a transgender woman were injured by a car as they blocked an intersection Wednesday night – and there were differing accounts of how it happened.

The march followed a vigil attended by more than 100 people honoring the woman, 30-year-old Kenneth "Kiwi" Herring.

According to St. Louis city police, some vigil attendees marched from the Transgender Memorial to an intersection and blocked traffic in all directions.

"A vehicle approached, stopped, honked its horn and attempted to drive around the protesters," the police statement says. "The protesters surrounded the vehicle and began striking it with their hands and a flag pole. Several protesters also kicked and jumped on top of the vehicle. The driver of the vehicle … proceeded to drive away when three protesters … fell from the vehicle."

The three protesters reported minor injuries but refused medical attention, the statement continued.

"Police attempted to stop driver of vehicle who initially refused to stop. He stopped about a block away from the incident and was taken into custody for felony fleeing," the statement adds.

But the St. Louis Post-Dispatch quotes a witness identified as Keith Rose as saying the driver had his middle fingers raised before accelerating through the group.

The newspaper says Rose, who was in the group of protesters, said the driver stopped for a few seconds "before accelerating gradually and driving into the group. Rose said that a protester was thrown over the hood of the car by the impact and others were hit by the car."

CBS St. Louis affiliate KMOV-TV reports anger and emotion were already growing over Herring's death before the incident in the intersection.

Officers say Herring cut an officer with a knife, but some in the community believe police acted too soon when they shot Herring.

Loved ones say Herring was a mother of three little boys.

"Her pain, her struggle, her legacy will not be forgotten by anyone here," said Morgan Hunlen. "She was a resilient character that may have reached an unfortunate and tragic end, but lived a life that should be celebrated."

Police say they were responding to a domestic disturbance when they found Herring cut badly across the face, arms and chest.

Officers told KMOV Herring was armed with a large kitchen knife, slashing at police, even cutting one on the arm when two officers fired, killing Herring.

"We have to remember Kiwi for who she was and not what happened," said Hunlen. "She took care of her kids, she loved her wife. She lived the best life that she could."

Watch a KMOV video about the vigil and Herring's death here

Herring's spouse, 28-year-old Kristopher "Kristy" Thompson, who also identifies as a woman, was arrested and charged with first-degree assault.

Thompson was being held on $80,000 bond.

The wounded officer was treated for a cut arm and released from the hospital shortly after.

Both officers who shot herring have been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation.
    Every "protester" should be charged. blocking traffic is dangerous, not to just them but to the drivers, it's going to take someone getting killed in a traffic accident before harsher punishments happen. If I was driving around people blocking the road and they started kicking and beating my car I would accelerate it too out of fear of my life, regardless who and what they are protesting.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Every "protester" should be charged. blocking traffic is dangerous, not to just them but to the drivers, it's going to take someone getting killed in a traffic accident before harsher punishments happen. If I was driving around people blocking the road and they started kicking and beating my car I would accelerate it too out of fear of my life, regardless who and what they are protesting.
    There is already a thread on this

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    There is already a thread on this
    link it,,,

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Yay, violence!

Thanks, no wonder I couldn't find it, it was a shit title.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Thanks, no wonder I couldn't find it, it was a shit title.
    Agreed but thought I'd mention it all the same.

Yeah if you attack a innocent car driver he has every right to protect his safety and property. Illegal protest on a street is illegal. Charge the protesters with endangering traffic and be done with it.

Not sure why police didnt prevent them from blocking roads. Police needs to work harder to remove illegal protests.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    Don't drive your car through protests.

People blocking the road does not give you the right to mow them down with your car.
    and what if they surround you and trying to flip your car and/or are threatening to "beat your ass", what then? Purely hypothetical. Just curious.

15+ Year Old Account
    Women attacks police with knife and gets shot - they then blame the police.
    Crowd surrounds car and attacks it with someone inside, driver tries to escape the violent mob - driver gets blamed.

These people are disgusting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends how it started.

Did they start doing that because you're an ass and trying to force your way through a protest?

Or did they start doing that because you... well, I've a pretty hard time anyone driving their car up to a protest not just to be an arse.

When the police blocks the road would you drive up and try to force your way through as well?

If a protester calmly explains you there is a protest going on will you start shouting: "NO, I MUST DRIVE THROUGH! FUCK YOU!" ?
    So "being an ass" is ground for people to commit assault and battery against you?

What a fucking joke.

water cannons work well to disperse violent mobs. Plus it's a major lol to watch.

Depends how it started.

Did they start doing that because you're an ass and trying to force your way through a protest?

Or did they start doing that because you... well, I've a pretty hard time anyone driving their car up to a protest not just to be an arse.

When the police blocks the road would you drive up and try to force your way through as well?

If a protester calmly explains you there is a protest going on will you start shouting: "NO, I MUST DRIVE THROUGH! FUCK YOU!" ?

- - - Updated - - -

The police would've just blocked the road themselves and told approaching cars to piss off, like they usually do.

- - - Updated - - -

These cops are blocking the road during a protest. Should people just drive their car through them?
    Police tend to block off areas when they are doing important things, not pointlessly yelling. They also don't try to flip your car.

It's makes sense that you think people should be able to attack or kill police without any consequences.

You forcing your car through people = violence. Responding to that is self-defense.
    "A vehicle approached, stopped, honked its horn and attempted to drive around the protesters,"

10+ Year Old Account
    You forcing your car through people = violence. Responding to that is self-defense.
    The article literally says that the driver didn't accelerate through the crowd until they surrounded his vehicle and began hitting it and climbing on top of it... And that only after he tried to drive around them, to which they swarmed and surrounded his car.

Get a grip on reality, kiddo.

The police would've just blocked the road themselves and told approaching cars to piss off, like they usually do.

- - - Updated - - -

These cops are blocking the road during a protest. Should people just drive their car through them?
    Police should restrict the area where people are allowed to protest like they do in most developed countries. Maybe close a few roads for the protesters in advance if needed but they should never allow protesters to enter a open road for the safety of everyone.

It shows the car approaching while honking it's horn rather aggressively driving straight for a crowd of protesters.
    The video only proves whats written in the article. Good job at destroying your own arguments with counter evidence!

Don't drive your car through protests.

People blocking the road does not give you the right to mow them down with your car.
    With any luck we can get some laws in place that gives the drivers that right (ya don't give a shit if it's a cause I care about or not) if they don't have a permit and are intentionally blocking traffic fuck em, on Highways can cause backup that cause accidents and (plus in cities) cause blockage of emergency vehicles so if they care so little for others I don't give two shits about them...
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2017-08-24 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    But that's not what happened here: "A vehicle approached, stopped, honked its horn and attempted to drive around the protesters," the police statement says. "The protesters surrounded the vehicle and began striking it with their hands and a flag pole. Several protesters also kicked and jumped on top of the vehicle. The driver of the vehicle … proceeded to drive away when three protesters … fell from the vehicle."

Yea that's a lot different than just mowing down people on the road. Sounds like the car occupant was rightly fearful for themselves being injured.

10+ Year Old Account

It shows the car approaching while honking it's horn rather aggressively driving straight for a crowd of protesters.
    The video plays out exactly as the article described it... The guy didn't "drive through the crowd" until they swarmed him and began beating on his car...

Honking your horn is not an attack...