Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Do you care about graphics if the gameplay is compelling enough?

Hello champions, good to see you all.

I'm asking this question because I'm playing Prey.

Prey looks like a game from 2013-14. Although the Looking Glass technology is quite astonishing, other games from 2016-17 look way better than prey - but this doesn't bother me at all. The gameplay is freaking incredible, and it reminds me of the original Deus Ex (not HR/MD, the original from 2001), which is great as well.

And you?

10+ Year Old Account
    depends
    I don't care about graphics, I care about the art style/colors
    some games are meant to be similar to toys, like tetris, fun games where you fall, where you go very fast, most of fighting games,...
    some others are meant to be immersive, to have a nice world to explore, art style is extremely important there, if the gameplay is good, the game is better

Generally I would say good gameplay would win out for me but there are varying levels. Like if the game has very low graphical fidelity with bad resolution/textures and poor animations it can definitely turn me off.

Mainly as long as the game doesn't look like it's from 2005 or one of those failed attempts at looking "retro" good gameplay will win out for me.

Gameplay>Graphics for me always.

However Graphics do matter in some games but not all of them.

story > gameplay > graphics.

in that order.

however. if its a 2d game

story > graphics > gameplay.

i cant play those fucking "our game looks like a snes game wooooooooowwwwww" art styles unless the story is good enough. hotline miami is a good example. normally id never play games that look like that but i loved the weird story
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Story>Gameplay>Graphic's in that order.

Sometimes I am fine with basic story as long as the gameplay is solid.

Example: I find Dead By Daylight fun but there is little to no story but the Gameplay is solid. The graphic's while bad based on the engine used, It fits the theme quite well.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

No graphics dont mean shit. Or everyone would just throw out all their last gen games going 'too old uggo, get out'. Art style>graphics 100% of the time. For example Final Fantasy 15 is a very pretty game, its also far shittier in terms of story, world design, characters, music and almost every regard that matters to a jrpg compared to pretty much every other game in the series going back to the NES. If i have to play a FF game right now i'm looking at 5,6 or 9 and a list of others long before touching 15 again. Because looking the most modern is really all it has for it. Thats it. When it gets older and looks outdated its going to have no redeeming factors, but all the others do and they are graphically 'out of date' already. Because everything else is far more important to me and that really just means stylised has a longer lifespan over realism.

Plus Low Poly is love Low Poly is life.

I am currently mowing my way through terraria and having a blast, the last game I found this engaging was wasteland 2. Make of that what you will.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Yes and no. I don't care about graphics in proven great games. Like everquest.

I do care about graphics in games that haven't proven themselves yet.

Deleted
    You know my opinion on that. I absolutely hate the fact that currently the focus in on graphics and not gameplay. We get dozens of pretty looking (at least to me) games that flop 2 months after launch because they have nothing else to offer. And yet people complain that consoles stop graphics from developing.

Depends on the game. I can still fire up my Playstation 1 and play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night because there's something about 2D where the fidelity doesn't matter. However, if I tried that with Final Fantasy 7 - it's a no go. And I loved both of those games a lot back in the day.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roudene View Post
    You know my opinion on that. I absolutely hate the fact that currently the focus in on graphics and not gameplay. We get dozens of pretty looking (at least to me) games that flop 2 months after launch because they have nothing else to offer. And yet people complain that consoles stop graphics from developing.
    I mean, we've always gotten dozens of games that flop after launch because they have nothing else to offer. But back then they also looked like crap.

Shitty games have always been made. But with improvements in technology shitty games can now look nice, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends. If the graphics are subpar then other aspects of the game should make up for it. The studio matters too, smaller teams can get away with bad graphics, larger companies have no excuse.

Story and Gameplay are way more important to me. But the graphics have some impact, depending on the game. For example, Binding of Isaac or Don't starve are great games and the graphics and animations fit perfectly.

I don't care much about the graphics. I have a lot of old games i still play because they have great gameplay and features. Supreme Commander forged alliance is still the greatest RTS game that i love to play. I still play madden 08 because it was the last pc version of the game and it has a playbook editor which i love. I still love old snes and nes versions of zelda. I only care about the graphics being functional with the theme of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    Hello champions, good to see you all.

I'm asking this question because I'm playing Prey.

Prey looks like a game from 2013-14. Although the Looking Glass technology is quite astonishing, other games from 2016-17 look way better than prey - but this doesn't bother me at all. The gameplay is freaking incredible, and it reminds me of the original Deus Ex (not HR/MD, the original from 2001), which is great as well.

And you?
    I've been playing Undertale. This game has horrible graphics, but the art is great. And the game itself is fun and interesting enough where the graphics don't matter.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I didnt pay £1500 to look at shitty gfx......pffft silly people.
    Any PC elitist gamer should know this.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    I don't care about graphics, I care about the art style/colors
    Pretty much this for me. Gameplay is always going to be above anything else in a game for me, but art style is 2nd most important to me - and sometimes it CAN end up with me not wanting to play a game. Binding of Isaac is a game a lot of people enjoy, but with the way it looks, it just looks so off-putting to me.

Again, I don't mind graphics - I still dig the enemies from Lands of Lore way more than most enemies these days who just look "very shiny and pretty looking".

I care more about art style and coloration. Some games with hyper realistic graphics and loads of glow, will make my head hurt after playing for a while.