Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Joel osteen: Whose church closed during harvey says not to have 'poor me' attitude

JOEL OSTEEN: TELEVANGELIST WHOSE CHURCH CLOSED DURING HURRICANE HARVEY TELLS VICTIMS NOT TO HAVE 'POOR ME' ATTITUDE

http://www.newsweek.com/joel-osteen-...y-tells-659302

A televangelist whose church closed its doors during Hurricane Harvey claims that he is the victim of “misinformation” and told flood victims not to have a “poor me” attitude.

In his Sunday sermon, multimillionaire pastor Joel Osteen addressed the criticism that has been directed at him after his 16,000 seat Houston megachurch initially closed its doors during the storm, in which thousands of people were left homeless and 40 were killed.

Pictures and video posted on social media showed the church apparently undamaged by the storm, and Osteen initially claimed he had not opened its doors because he had not been asked to by the state. The church re-opened Tuesday, as floodwaters began to recede.

Osteen defended the decision not to open the church during the devastating storm, and told those affected not to have a “poor old me attitude.”

“You know I really believe in these times of difficulty it's, for me, certainly not the time to question your faith but to turn to your faith because God is the one that gives you the strength to make it through the difficult times," he said in a video of Sunday's sermon posted on YouTube.

“We are not going to understand everything that happens but, you know, having a 'poor old me' mentality or 'look what I lost' or 'why did this happen', that's just going to pull you down. Like we've been talking about all night, you just got to turn it over and say 'God you're still on the throne'.”

Osteen preaches the prosperity gospel, a branch of Christianity that holds that following Christian teachings can increase personal wealth. His Lakewood church is one of the largest in the U.S.

On Sunday, Osteen blamed “misinformation” for criticism levelled at the church for remaining closed. He said he hadn’t opened its doors due to safety concerns, and floodwaters came within a couple of feet of breaching flood walls installed after floods in 2001.

He added: “Had we opened the building sooner and someone got injured, or perhaps the building flooded and someone lost their lives, that would have been a very different story. Now I don’t mind taking the heat for being precautious. But I don’t want to take the heat for being foolish.”

He continued: "This is not just an attack on me, it's an attack on what we stand for—for faith, for hope, for love," he said. "Jesus even said, 'When the world hates you, remember: it hated me first.'"

I feel really sad for Joel Osteen what with the negative press coverage and stuff like that.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Deleted
    And he will still be somewhat rich and his life as a cult leader will go on...honestly are you really so naïve this incident wil change anything?

Televangelists are greedy, selfish people. What else is new.

7+ Year Old Account
    At least @Tennisace attempts some semblance of an opinion, instead of copy & paste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, people who hate him hate Jesus and he's telling people not to have a "poor me" attitude.

Fuck him.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    At least @Tennisace attempts some semblance of an opinion, instead of copy & paste.
    I prefer that you think for yourself. I am not here to force an opinion on you. Only to inform.

There's charlatans and then there's Joel Osteen. He's an embarrassment to Christianity for what he says, and he's an embarrassment to mankind because people are dumb enough to listen to him and take him seriously.

7+ Year Old Account
    Staying away from a 'poor me' attitude is good advice. The goal is to be constructive. Adapt and build up, don't wallow in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Staying away from a 'poor me' attitude is good advice. The goal is to be constructive. Adapt and build up, don't wallow in despair.
    Indeed. As far as closing the church during the storm.. Well, personaly I would have had it open,but considering you can get sued for the slightest of things in the US.. I am not suprised he didn't open it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which he could have done without A: playing the "poor me" card himself, and B: not actually using the words "have a poor me attitude".

Like, "In times of hardship, remember that God has a plan." or "When things seem really tough, remember that Jesus is always there for you." or "When life gets you down, try to focus on how God only destroyed your property, not your family and friends." (oiy God kinda sounds like a dick in that last one don't he?)

There, I just said "don't have a poor me attitude, place your faith in God" without actually telling people not to have a poor me attitude.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Exactly. Not sure why this is being sold as a bad thing. He's absolutely right.

Kind of have to agree that he's been getting way more bad press than he deserves. His actions were questionable, but not the "BURN THE WITCH" he's being put through. It's like we've lost our ability to be anything but extreme.

(Mind you, I think most megachurh/televangelist folks are the worst examples of Christianity who only do the religion a disservice)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I prefer that you think for yourself. I am not here to force an opinion on you. Only to inform.
    Than i will be forced to assume you agree with him and his stance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Than i will be forced to assume you agree with him and his stance.
    You know what they say about assumptions?

Joel Osteel made a big mistake by not opening his church up to evacuees. It made him look bad. The local media raked him over the coals for it too and rightfully so. They showed photos of his parking lot dry and totally empty of cars. And then showed videos where local businesses and owners were closing stores and offices and taking people and housing volunteers.
    A couple days later he tried to explain that he wasn't asked by the city help out. (When does a church need to be asked to help others?) He then flipped to say he didn't open the doors because he was worried the church would flood with people in it so he wanted to wait it out a bit. ( After all he is just protecting the people...)
    To top it all off, on Sunday he actually sent offering plates around for the Church, not for the victims of the storm.

It is pretty bad. The church I am speaking of used to house the Houston Rockets until a new stadium was built. So it is HUGE. It is a freaking 16,000 seat stadium converted into a church. He just didn't want wet people coming into it and messing up his televised service and opulent church.
    This is going to effect Lakewood church for a long long time. The people of Houston will remember what he did to them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by uxzuigal View Post
    Indeed. As far as closing the church during the storm.. Well, personaly I would have had it open,but considering you can get sued for the slightest of things in the US.. I am not suprised he didn't open it.
    They won't sue him. The church will simply be boycotted. We have plenty of those types of mega-churches here. Personally I don't get what people see in them. You have zero connection with the priest/preacher.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A mattress store owner did more for the community without even being asked.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    And he will still be somewhat rich and his life as a cult leader will go on...honestly are you really so naïve this incident wil change anything?
    He is worth $56.5 million. And lives in $10.5 million house. Not many preachers can do that.
    I don't feel sorry for him at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    A mattress store owner did more for the community without even being asked.
    My sentiments exactly.
    Joel Olsteen should be ashamed of himself.
    I did read in the paper today he only had 15% of his normal numbers at church. That could be from any number of factors though. He still asked them for money though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    I feel really sad for Joel Osteen what with the negative press coverage and stuff like that.
    Its his own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    You know what they say about assumptions?
    I am glad that you left the lore section.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I am glad that you left the lore section.
    I was in the lore section?