Fun, or only fun if you have....

A few weeks ago I once again resurrected my monk. Reason being I saw so many people talking about how much fun the rotation was. So now I'm 880 level and I'm wondering either what am I doing wrong or when will the fun begin. The majority of the time I seem to be spending playing ping pong between 2 buttons TP and BOK because FoF, RSK, SotwL, and Chi is on CD. Now when dealing with AoE, yes it is a lot more fun, but ST, not so much. So does everyone else spend a good amount of time playing ping pong or is it the Leggos that are making it fun?

Deleted
    Energizing Elexir and weaving in Chi Wave to "reset" your rotation helps a bunch.
    It takes a few days to get used to the rotation coming from other classes, but eventually it just flows beautifully.

I swapped over to my Monk for 7.3 two days ago, and I am already doing good. It also improves with gear.

Rotation is pretty fun overall. It does take some practice but is easily, imo, the most fun and one of the least rigid of the melee specs from a rotation point of view. That being said it does become much smoother and more easily manageable with 2pcT19, 4pcT20 and Legendary boots.

Monk isn't hard - you just press stuff when it comes off CD and you don't press the same button in a row twice. I wouldn't call it the most thrilling rotation, but I guess a lot of people consider "smooth" as just press the buttons when they're available.

All that being said, managing their AOE and CDs like serenity are a lot more challenging than most classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkaneer View Post
    A few weeks ago I once again resurrected my monk. Reason being I saw so many people talking about how much fun the rotation was. So now I'm 880 level and I'm wondering either what am I doing wrong or when will the fun begin. The majority of the time I seem to be spending playing ping pong between 2 buttons TP and BOK because FoF, RSK, SotwL, and Chi is on CD. Now when dealing with AoE, yes it is a lot more fun, but ST, not so much. So does everyone else spend a good amount of time playing ping pong or is it the Leggos that are making it fun?
    RSK is a short cd (esp with t19 2pc), so you're "ping ponging" isn't really something that most monks with some gear will experience.

not to mention you really shouldn't be using BoK that much ... if you're using it constantly you're likely delaying your other more damaging abilities due to being resource starved.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Monk isn't hard - you just press stuff when it comes off CD and you don't press the same button in a row twice. I wouldn't call it the most thrilling rotation, but I guess a lot of people consider "smooth" as just press the buttons when they're available.

All that being said, managing their AOE and CDs like serenity are a lot more challenging than most classes.
    I didn't say it was hard, I strictly was refearing to the fun factor. My RSK is a 9.45 sec cd, FoF 22.7, CW 15 sec cd. That is quite a bit of TP and BoK in between.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrakai View Post
    RSK is a short cd (esp with t19 2pc), so you're "ping ponging" isn't really something that most monks with some gear will experience.

not to mention you really shouldn't be using BoK that much ... if you're using it constantly you're likely delaying your other more damaging abilities due to being resource starved.
    But what happens when you lose that 2 pc t19? Then you will go back to a much longer RSK cd.

I personally don't find it fun or engaging. But in terms of pure fun I find feral rotation is the most fun of them all and absolutely braindead arms rotation being the second so I'm kinda strange here. It just either clicks with you or don't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkaneer View Post

But what happens when you lose that 2 pc t19? Then you will go back to a much longer RSK cd.
    As far as I know t21 (the way it is now) will be rather lackluster, so we might stay with t19/t20 a while longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cakebeard View Post
    As far as I know t21 (the way it is now) will be rather lackluster, so we might stay with t19/t20 a while longer.
    What ? Even if there's a huge difference in Ilvl ? Because I don't have a single piece of t19, and I'd rather not be farming NH anymore... Not to mention we gotta play the mythics ones in order to get a better chance for higher ilvl proc... Are you really sure you're not losing DPS by keeping the t19 pieces that long ?

Deleted
    Someone used Bab's spreadsheet to get the numbers. Can't remember where I read that. I hope all of that was nonsense though and/ or t21 is getting a fix.

Edit:

class development, first page

"WW Monk - 7.3 Abilities and Tier Discussion"
    Last edited by mmoc6068196d06; 2017-09-05 at 10:39 AM.