Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Argus often empty

Greetings,

I miss seeing hundreds of players running around at the same time. In Timeless Isle, for example, it made that new patch actually feel like a new patch. Often Argus feels empty and I'd like to know the reason for that.

I'm unfamiliar with how cross-realm/phasing/sharding works these days, as you can probably tell by my unsure use of all of those terms, and I don't think I like the effects of whatever was added in 7.3 (if anything)

I'll see at most maybe 3 other players every 5 minutes which makes it feel like I'm playing content that's no longer current.

Would I be correct in saying the following:

1. When a server 'shard' has too many players another is created and will be fairly empty until it fills up
    2. Argus doesn't have cross-realm like the Broken Isles does. (Everyone I see outside of group finder groups are on my server, they don't have a server tag by their name)
    3. The situation is only made worse by players constantly hopping between realms with the group finder addon?

What are your thoughts? Thanks.

I don't know in detail how sharding works but I'm sure that's one of the main reasons you see few people around. And not just in Argus, on raid nights when all my guild is standing in front of ToS waiting for an invite, I never see more than two or three people, even though I know there's at least fifteen members of my guild standing at that location. Then we enter the same shard one we're in the same group.

I usually don't see people when I travel around Argus, but very often someone will jump into my fight when I'm attacking a rare elite (which takes me about 2 minutes to kill). it can be annoying if someone draws in a bunch of trash mobs with them.

I do see a few more people around world quest locations, but not so much when I wander just to kill rares or farm chests.

The sharding is meant to improve performance, and it definitely works. I do all my questing solo so I'm actually happy that there's fewer people around and I don't have to wait for rares to respawn all day. I think the sharding might be ramped up on Argus because an excess of people would easily wipe all the mobs, and Blizzard wants you to suffer fighting through them :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khallid View Post
    I don't know in detail how sharding works but I'm sure that's one of the main reasons you see few people around. And not just in Argus, on raid nights when all my guild is standing in front of ToS waiting for an invite, I never see more than two or three people, even though I know there's at least fifteen members of my guild standing at that location. Then we enter the same shard one we're in the same group.

I usually don't see people when I travel around Argus, but very often someone will jump into my fight when I'm attacking a rare elite (which takes me about 2 minutes to kill). it can be annoying if someone draws in a bunch of trash mobs with them.

I do see a few more people around world quest locations, but not so much when I wander just to kill rares or farm chests.

The sharding is meant to improve performance, and it definitely works. I do all my questing solo so I'm actually happy that there's fewer people around and I don't have to wait for rares to respawn all day. I think the sharding might be ramped up on Argus because an excess of people would easily wipe all the mobs, and Blizzard wants you to suffer fighting through them :P
    I'd take seeing lots of people in my Massively Multi Online game over better performance and more mobs up any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus93 View Post
    I'd take seeing lots of people in my Massively Multi Online game over better performance and more mobs up any day.
    You say that because you haven't seen how bad it can get. I said I knew at least 15 people of my guild should be outside of ToS and I couldn't see them, right? Well, how many guilds do you think raid ToS? At peak hours (evenings between 6 and 7:30 I'd say) there are likely to be over a thousand people gathering at the entrance of ToS. Your computer would just never finish loading that. You get stuck between invisible walls while the game tries to load but can't.

I once played in a PVP Horde-majority server as an Alliance player, before the sharding thing got good. It was literally impossible to enter raids at peak hours. There would be an unreal amount of Hordes camping the entrance and I'd have to die and respawn just to get closer. I switched servers now and it's all better.

Deleted
    You say that because you haven't seen how bad it can get. I said I knew at least 15 people of my guild should be outside of ToS and I couldn't see them, right? Well, how many guilds do you think raid ToS? At peak hours (evenings between 6 and 7:30 I'd say) there are likely to be over a thousand people gathering at the entrance of ToS. Your computer would just never finish loading that. You get stuck between invisible walls while the game tries to load but can't.

I once played in a PVP Horde-majority server as an Alliance player, before the sharding thing got good. It was literally impossible to enter raids at peak hours. There would be an unreal amount of Hordes camping the entrance and I'd have to die and respawn just to get closer. I switched servers now and it's all better.
    I've played since early TBC though and I've never witnessed computer crashing numbers of people in an area. Even with 80 people all standing around in the timeless isle hub I didn't have issues. I honestly don't see why sharding that's this heavy is needed. I'd settle for the lesser sharding that seems to be in the broken isles but as I said I'd rather wait for a mob to spawn than play in what feels like a single player game, at times.

Edit: When you say performance do you mean Blizzard intend for sharding to increase frame rate or decrease actual latency lag?
    Last edited by mmoc30274401ab; 2017-08-31 at 08:28 PM.

I've played since early TBC though and I've never witnessed computer crashing numbers of people in an area. Even with 80 people all standing around in the timeless isle hub I didn't have issues. I honestly don't see why sharding that's this heavy is needed. I'd settle for the lesser sharding that seems to be in the broken isles but as I said I'd rather wait for a mob to spawn than play in what feels like a single player game, at times.
    You have to remember that both the zones that we have access to right now are bigger than the timeless isle. Bigger = more room and area for people to be spread out.

I am seeing a fuck load of people. Every rare I kill or treasure I go for, always multiple people with me. I see corpses everywhere, both alliance and horde. I see people farming mats and the 5000 demons achievement.

I see way more than I saw on the timeless isle or Tanaan Jungle. So yea ...
    "If you don't know who I am -- then maybe your best course is to tread lightly." - W.W.

AQ world event... Fucking... AQ world event...

No thanks. I'd rather have smooth performance and expac launches than that.

Sharding is part of the reason Legion had the smoothest launch in history and not a nearly 1 week fiasco like Warlords.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. When a server 'shard' has too many players another is created and will be fairly empty until it fills up
    That is true, that is why sharding sucks.

2. Argus doesn't have cross-realm like the Broken Isles does. (Everyone I see outside of group finder groups are on my server, they don't have a server tag by their name)
    That isn't true, I think. For I have seen plenty from other servers and mine isn't merged.

3. The situation is only made worse by players constantly hopping between realms with the group finder addon?
    I am a general hater of realm hopping, at times, I think yes.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Idk about you, but I LOVE Sharding. More Rare kills for me, thanks.

BRB need to shard

7+ Year Old Account
    Argus feels very empty. And it does not give me the feeling of being on the first days of a patch. I have had to solo most rares I find. Only once or twice did another player show up. It just feels like WoD all over again with absolutely no players out in the world. I too prefer seeing other players around.

Quote Originally Posted by Antius View Post
    I got into the zone for that on my server, and it was an instant slide show, then crash crash crash. Never saw the event. The only times I remember seeing bigger numbers of players were the first couple of Xmas events, the countdown to the packages spawning, or everyone waiting in town for the Wrath pre-patch attacks to start.
    But that was back in an era when scammers and bots hitting dungeons too hard with druids would bring a server down, that was before the "You have entered too many dungeons" stuff.

Deleted
    Greetings,

I miss seeing hundreds of players running around at the same time. In Timeless Isle, for example, it made that new patch actually feel like a new patch. Often Argus feels empty and I'd like to know the reason for that.

I'm unfamiliar with how cross-realm/phasing/sharding works these days, as you can probably tell by my unsure use of all of those terms, and I don't think I like the effects of whatever was added in 7.3 (if anything)

I'll see at most maybe 3 other players every 5 minutes which makes it feel like I'm playing content that's no longer current.

Would I be correct in saying the following:

What are your thoughts? Thanks.
    Can't speak for everybody of course, but people in my guild don't really spend time on Argus. Some people don't, because they don't like the zones - others me included just don't see a reason to go there. I hope it gets better once we got through the timegating, but right now I am spending most of my time in dalaran/instances or the old zones and to be honest I am seeing WAY more people in the old zones thanon Argus.

I once again fault poor pacing on blizzard's part. Not really giving us a reason to spend time in the new zones except for a short intro and some world quests is pretty poor in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Antius View Post
    Omg, this. So much of this.

The AQ event caused non-stop server crashes on my server back in the day, until the guild that could open it up decided to do it 10 minutes early as a mercy for everyone.

Also, tons of people on beginning days, not being able to turn in quests, get quest items, click on quest items, etc. . . . sharding is a blessing. Sharding is such a blessing.

They made cross-realm so the game would look more alive on dead servers.
    Then they are sharding the servers to split the people ? even people on the same servers because there's too many people ?
    There's something I don't understand ?

No thanks... as much as I love my MMOs the one aspect I hate about them is mob competition. That's nothing but frustrating, I want to enjoy the game... fighting over whatever isn't my idea of fun.

Oh, and the performance impact it has seeing a ton of people on screen and on the servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no reason to spend time on Argus. It's just a couple of World Quests.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    No thanks... as much as I love my MMOs the one aspect I hate about them is mob competition. That's nothing but frustrating, I want to enjoy the game... fighting over whatever isn't my idea of fun.
    That's not really an issue anymore though? Having to solo every single 150M+ HP rare is much more annoying or is that just me?

Quote Originally Posted by liangdar View Post
    That's not really an issue anymore though? Having to solo every single 150M+ HP rare is much more annoying or is that just me?
    Use the Premade Group Finder.

Typically under custom; just type the name of the rare. There's always a group up for them, and if not make one yourself and people will soon enough join you.