View Poll Results: Why was Jimmy Carter a one term President?

Voters
32. This poll is closed
  • He was too Liberal

3 9.38%
  • He was a terrible President

16 50.00%
  • America wasn't ready

3 9.38%
  • Other (Comment below)

12 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why was Jimmy Carter a one term President?

Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The botched Iranian prisoner rescue attempt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Economics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Economics.
    Such As, you saying he was blamed for the economy?

Iran Hostage Crisis and the Energy Crisis/Stagflation are probably two of the biggest ones. He was being challenged within his own party too, by Ted Kennedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    The botched Iranian prisoner rescue attempt.
    Which was not his fault. He should have given them the sha though, fuck that guy

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Which was not his fault. He should have given them the sha though, fuck that guy
    When your in charge shit that happens on your watch is your fault in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Eisenhower's worst move.

Gasoline prices shot through the roof, everyone in the US drives.

It was a big mistake for OPEC and they're paying for it now.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Not to mention Reagan back channeling with Iran to keep them prisoners until after the election.
    Is this the SR-71 conspiracy theory?

He was a one term President because he was a poor one.

Got to go with the Iran crap blowing up.
    It was that one thing that really set up Carter as a one-termer more than anything.

Just as well.
    Probably the last president that had any ethic whatsoever.
    He made a far better private citizen anyway. Better than any former president.

Deleted
    Double digit inflation, for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Carter actually tried to give the american people some bad news. This was called the cross of malaise. Reagan told them everything was sunshine and lollipops. Americans being the thoughtful courageous and strong moral people they are decided reagan was better than facing some hard truths about themselves.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

It's not like America has a history of electing celebrities...

Biggest reason why I thought Trump could win. Many "swing" voters vote for whoever they find more entertaining or they can relate too. There's been polls post Trump that show the lower your education the more likely your reason you voted for Trump was because "He's going to make America great again" not because tax reform or SCOTUS pick or Obamacare repeal.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like the poll is trying to apply 2017 politics to what they were in the late 1970's, which was a totally different situation. The whole liberal v. conservative discussion that totally dominates everything now was far down the list of people's priorities back then. There were quite a few way more important topics at the time.

1. The Iranian Revolution/Hostage Crisis - which was a major rise in radical Islam, since it expanded things beyond the PLO->Israeli issues. And also fairly or unfairly Carter took a lot of the blame for the Iranian Hostage Crisis and the way it was handled, along with the botched rescue attempt.
    2. A very stagnant economy, with lots of inflation concerns and unions seeing companies take a much harsher stance that accelerated their decline.
    3. Three Mile Island nuclear disaster, which happened only 6 months before the election (awful timing) and it dominated headlines all year. It kind of caused a lot of panic that meltdowns might happen all over.
    4. As the USSR sped towards collapse (yes it was already happening, it didn't just start with Reagan although he sped things up), they became a lot more desperate and actually there was a lot of concern WW3 might start as a last gasp by the USSR to save themselves before collapse. So like the above this also scared people.

Carter recognized the future if pollution and energy weren't addressed, so he did try things to help there. But partly the tech like solar was totally not ready, and it's hard to convince people that those things matter even today, much less back in 1978 when people were used to huge gas guzzling cars. So that push by him didn't help either. But really the items above were what people were way more concerned about, which is what lead to Reagan and someone who would hopefully improve the economy and take a hard line with countries like Iran and the USSR.

my history professors said he was extremely condescending

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    He had the nuts to tell Americans they were fat, lazy, hyper consumers who needed to learn to be happy other ways and stop draining resources like a bunch of fat pigs.

Obviously telling Americans they waste too much and need to learn to live with less is never going to sell well, even if its true and Carter has balls of steel for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    off the top of my head...

the economy;
    high inflation;
    high unemployment;
    energy crisis;
    his malaise speech;
    04 Nov 1979;
    Operation Eagle Claw;

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    He had the nuts to tell Americans they were fat, lazy, hyper consumers who needed to learn to be happy other ways and stop draining resources like a bunch of fat pigs.

Obviously telling Americans they waste too much and need to learn to live with less is never going to sell well, even if its true and Carter has balls of steel for it.
    Damn, he has my vote too bad he isn't running.

7+ Year Old Account
    Carter was one of our best presidents, primarily because of his non-interventionist policies.