Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    They have that Thai kitchen brand here, it's a pretty good curry paste.

I make it every now and then, though lately I've been using the Korma paste more.

I think one time I tried to make a curry paste from scratch and failed miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    I read that curry was originally used to be able to stomach eating meat that had started to go bad since they didn't have refrigeration and were in hot climates, so you can't taste that the meat is starting to rot.

Ever since then I just don't eat much curry. I keep thinking the meat's going to be bad. I know that's not the case anymore. Add to that a couple of times I've had really poor quality chicken when ordering curry, and I've just kinda written it off as a dish.
    I'm fairly certain that's an urban legend.

Humans just like spices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Never had Curry what does or is it supposed to taste like, anything to compare it too?
    Um... something like curry? It's pretty distinct... it's very umami ("meaty") and spicy (depending on how hot you make/order it).

I guess the closest comparison if you don't know what Indian food tastes like is Mexican? But it's... different...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Yellow Thai Curry is the superior version.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not bad but I'm more of a rendang fan

I don't have anything to add but I'm posting to tag this topic. Going out to grocery shop tomorrow and I've been craving curry like a mofo for weeks now.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Got sick of paying restaurant prices for one of my favorite dishes, so I started making it in bulk at home. Now I admit it doesn't match authentic Thai red curry, but it is pretty damn close.

1 Bottle of Thai Red Curry Paste

2 Cans of Coconut Milk

4 Tbs of Premium Fish Sauce

4 Tbs of Brown Granulated Sugar and Black Pepper to taste (I use about 4 Tbs)

2lbs Chicken = cut into bite sized pieces and cook them by boiling it. This is the cheap and easy way to "velvet" chicken. The real way requires cornstarch, oil, and being a master of flash frying - which I am not. A lot quicker with boil method. I find that "grilling" the chicken in regular means (skillet, oven, etc etc) makes it too tough and also takes to long.

The above contents should be poured into a large cooking pan and brought to a simmer and mixed until your "soup" is a nice thick red stuff. You can always alter the contents to taste, but I like the classic sweet/spicy of the coconut milk/paste and some pepper, so I'm pretty generous.

Dump the cooked chicken into it, mix up, cover and let simmer 15 minutes. You can add any type of veggies to this. Peppers, broccoli, or even thinly sliced taters. Eat as is, or with rice. There will be plenty of "soup" in the mix, so most people pour this over the rice.

I really like curry but lack the skills to make curry like "pros" so I'm going to give this a try tonight seems like it will be tasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Use Maesri brand

Fry up the paste first till it's fragrant, then add your chicken. I like to pound it out. Meat mallets are pretty cheap.

Had another delicious bowl for dinner.

Why I love this stuff, I eat it without rice now a days and a whopping 12 oz of chicken (yea I like it meat heavy) and veggies (usually broccoli) per serving and it only clocks in around 650 calories for an entire dinner with like 10 carbs (mostly from coconut milk).

Fills me up big time and its spicy so it keeps hunger at bay longer.

I also like it because it (personally) gives me some extra energy for my 3 mile nightly cardio and by the time I am done its time to take a healthy, you know... "bathroom" break afterwards.

Never had it before, but sounds good. I do love spicy food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Curry gives you bad body odor.
    Curry does taste good though.

Used to have an awesome Thai restaurant locally, until the owner moved away due to needing to take care of her mother.

Got taken over by someone else... and it became the generic crap they offer that's no different than from a jar bought in the supermarket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    Never had it before, but sounds good. I do love spicy food.
    It is a different type of spicy. You got red pepper hot, then you have horseradish hot, and finally curry hot. Some people can't handle any one of those but love the other. For me curry isn't even spicy.

As for curry colors, it is all a bunch of marketing nonsense. Red paste generally has some fish flavored added in, where as yellow has chicken. Green is usually vegetarian. But ti is still a bunch of bull shit created in the US. Maybe the Taiwanese did it to differentiate from Indian curry dishes.

The best curry IMO uses the base curry spice (brownish yellow) and adds in other middle eastern spices such as coriander, turmeric and cumin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trader Joe's has a few decent jarred curries.

We like them not because they are the best tasting or authentic, but because they take like ten minutes to cook.

Red curry is fucking awesome. Now I want some and I'm not even hungry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Curry gives you bad body odor.
    Curry does taste good though.
    Not if you wash like a civilized human, it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Red curry is fucking awesome. Now I want some and I'm not even hungry.

- - - Updated - - -

Not if you wash like a civilized human, it doesn't.
    #7 on the list son.
    https://www.mensfitness.com/nutritio...-you-stink/amp

Looks tasty, will try.

While this looks like a paid ad, it does sound like a good dish. Would have to use some replacement ingradients, though...

Oh well, good thing we have a very good thai restaurant just down the road.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

That list might as well read "everything normal people eat on a daily basis".

Redmeat. Fish. Spicy. Junk Food.

Also Asparagus is on the list. It doesn't make your body stink it makes your piss stink.

Pardon me while I don't live like a silly vegan hippy and just opt to takes baths and use a wonderful invention we call deodorant.

My supermarket has a really nice red and green curry paste for sale, makes a damn delicious curry.

People who eat curry and bathe properly don't stink. Fact. Adjust your world-view.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Got sick of paying restaurant prices for one of my favorite dishes, so I started making it in bulk at home. Now I admit it doesn't match authentic Thai red curry, but it is pretty damn close.

1 Bottle of Thai Red Curry Paste

2 Cans of Coconut Milk

4 Tbs of Premium Fish Sauce

4 Tbs of Brown Granulated Sugar and Black Pepper to taste (I use about 1 Tbs)

2lbs Chicken = cut into bite sized pieces and cook them by boiling it. This is the cheap and easy way to "velvet" chicken. The real way requires cornstarch, oil, and being a master of flash frying - which I am not. A lot quicker with boil method. I find that "grilling" the chicken in regular means (skillet, oven, etc etc) makes it too tough and also takes to long.

The above contents should be poured into a large cooking pan and brought to a simmer and mixed until your "soup" is a nice thick red stuff. You can always alter the contents to taste, but I like the classic sweet/spicy of the coconut milk/paste and some pepper, so I'm pretty generous.

Dump the cooked chicken into it, mix up, cover and let simmer 15 minutes. You can add any type of veggies to this. Peppers, broccoli, or even thinly sliced taters. Eat as is, or with rice. There will be plenty of "soup" in the mix, so most people pour this over the rice.

Wait, what?

SUGAR???

in soup!?