Poll: Good or Bad Idea for item level to be the Pinnacle of Gameplay?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Everything Revolves Around "Item Level". Good or Bad Idea?

With the release of Argus i realized something: "Everything in this game revolves around item level."
    Which is fine for me, the system still has it's powers over me. I still want to farm the much desired "item level" and i'll be doing Argus every week for the next Months.

But is it a good idea to make a game entirely around one thing called "item level"? Is it good for the game?

There are consequences for designing the game like this. Such as:

-The game gets stale without the release of new raid tiers or big content patches
    -Lack of a reason to continue playing the game after "LFR & catchup systems" IF item level means nothing to you
    -Nothing to do after you reach your item level skill cap

Is it a good idea to make item level the pinnacle of the gameplay?
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-08-31 at 06:58 PM.

Argus made you realise this? you must be new to WoW? Ilvl was a thing back during WOTLK and Gearscore. It's been here for awhile and been revolved around for awhile

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dipzz View Post
    Argus made you realise this? you must be new to WoW? Ilvl was a thing back during WOTLK and Gearscore. It's been here for awhile and been revolved around for awhile
    I have been blind all this years
    Its a MMO afterall, it was like second nature to want numbers.

Deleted
    Apparently it doesn't, seeing as 936 gets declined from M+ queues. wowprogress surpassed ilvl as the biggest evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Well, it has worked for 13 years, so why not?

Can't really say whether it's good or bad tbh. Yeah, it's good because it puts a number on things, makes it easier to categorize, but on the other hand that creates some problems on it's own. Can't really see a middleground.

If you played the game for real you would realize almost nothing revolves around item level.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Deleted
    Most RPGs are about character progression. In most cases, getting better and better gear is a big part of character progression. Surprise!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    If you played the game for real you would realize almost nothing revolves around item level.
    Is it server fame? Or clearing harder difficulties?

I'm totally unaware to the hardcore stuff because i'm a casual though
    That stuff was only meaningful for me in WotlK.

Quote Originally Posted by iluwen_de View Post
    Most RPGs are about character progression. In most cases, getting better and better gear is a big part of character progression. Surprise!
    WOW isn't an RPG.... its a game on rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    This is a solo-player's mindset. I played to kill bosses, clear raids, and shoot the shit with guildies; loot was just a means to an end.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    This is a solo-player's mindset. I played to kill bosses, clear raids, and shoot the shit with guildies; loot was just a means to an end.
    True. Very much true. This is probably a reality only to solo players.

Tell my 875 Disc Priest getting declined from Mythic+5's all day every day back when the expansion was barely 3 months old how important iLvL is :/

Deleted
    Can't vote since my opinion is not on there. Basing the endgame arround iLvl is reasonable, but not with how random iLvl is distributed right now. If you get consistently lucky with your weekly chest or with warforge/titanforge procs in heroic or even normal ToS you can be a bad player with better gear than people who cleared mythic ToS. At least you don't get credit to your maximum iLvl by having a lot of legendaries anymore.
    But right now if you're building a group you have to set your standards REALLY high to be safe. Had players with shown iLvl ~915 do less damage than my guildies did in emerald nightmare mythic during progress while at the same time having no clue about any mechanics.
    Which is actually the reason iLvl is not the main determining factor of getting into groups (at least m+ groups). Can't really trust the iLvl of a player anymore. It just helps deciding wether it's worth it to look the player up on wowprogress.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    True and partly blizzard's fault. They keep saying they want iLvl to matter and upgrades easy to see. But me losing 200k dps by equipping my highest possible iLvl proves the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Tell my 875 Disc Priest getting declined from Mythic+5's all day every day back when the expansion was barely 3 months old how important iLvL is :/
    Can't really compare that to how it is nowadays. Back then it was number of legendaries > general iLvl of your items, because they pushed your iLvl more than anything else.
    Last edited by mmoce193b9fd19; 2017-08-30 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liangdar View Post
    Can't vote since my opinion is not on there. Basing the endgame arround iLvl is reasonable, but not with how random iLvl is distributed right now. If you get consistently lucky with your weekly chest or with warforge/titanforge procs in heroic or even normal ToS you can be a bad player with better gear than people who cleared mythic ToS. At least you don't get credit to your maximum iLvl by having a lot of legendaries anymore.
    But right now if you're building a group you have to set your standards REALLY high to be safe. Had players with shown iLvl ~915 do less damage than my guildies did in emerald nightmare mythic during progress while at the same time having no clue about any mechanics.
    Which is actually the reason iLvl is not the main determining factor of getting into groups (at least m+ groups). Can't really trust the iLvl of a player anymore. It just helps deciding wether it's worth it to look the player up on wowprogress.

True and partly blizzard's fault. They keep saying they want iLvl to matter and upgrades easy to see. But me losing 200k dps by equipping my highest possible iLvl proves the opposite.

Can't really compare that to how it is nowadays. Back then it was number of legendaries > general iLvl of your items, because they pushed your iLvl more than anything else.
    Actually had to do with a massive distrust of Disc Priests after 7.0 launched. Many people assumed "half damage/half heals" meant we only did half the healing of a resto, holy or mistweaver and half the damage of a shadow. So in a group of 5 people Disc never had a place.

In raids with 10+ people many clamored for Discs for the extra push we provided, hence why getting into H Nightmare was easy for me.

And because of the artifact system and legendaries, I couldn't just swap over to holy or shadow since the one legendary I got was a Disc exclusive.

* should also add that many Disc players here on MMO-Cs priest forum argued to the point of multiple infractions being dished out simply because nobody knew what Disc's play style was for maximum output, and everyone argued thinking they knew the answer.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2017-08-30 at 10:43 PM.

A lot of people sacrifice ilvl for their 4-piece set bonus.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    A lot of people sacrifice ilvl for their 4-piece set bonus.
    Yeah it's not as simple as Higher Ilvl is always better. One of the biggest reasons Ilvl gets pushed is for pugging as it's used as a fast and dirty way to see someones expected ability.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    WOW isn't an RPG.... its a game on rails.
    sorry to burst your bubble its still a rpg

Deleted
    Oh you mean pugs?
    Well, if you insist on bathing in shit, you need to take the smell like a champ.
    Otherwise, ilvl is always secondary to the actual stats.

Quote Originally Posted by dipzz View Post
    and it even goes further back to when wow came out... its always a thing people need.

E.g in vanilla the more t3 pieces you got obviously the better you felt etc.

People always want to feel special and I dont see why not, after all its just a game adn its there to bring out some psychological stuff instead of having them in your actual life.