Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Supermarket’s ‘empty shelves’ stunt makes a point about xenophobia

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2...out-xenophobia

For those who argue against immigration, a common rebuttle often begins with the line, "without immigration we wouldn't have..."

A German supermarket has taken the argument to the next level, removing all foreign-made products from its shelves.

The non-German produce was replaced with signs that read “our range now knows borders” and “this shelf is pretty boring without diversity”.

For customers of Edeka’s Hamburg store, dinner options became very limited - there was virtually nothing left of the shelves.

One customer posted this video on Instagram, showing the result.

A spokeswoman for the supermarket said: “Edeka stands for variety and diversity. In our stores we sell numerous foods which are produced in the various regions of Germany.

“But only together with products from other countries it is possible to create the unique variety that our consumers value. We are pleased that our campaign caused so many positive reactions.”

And as Germany gears up for for federal elections next month, with immigration topping the agenda, the supermarket is expected to ramp up the campaign.

Very clever and well intentioned move. Sure shows how foolish those against diversity and immigration are.

Punishing amd shaming your customers is a great business move. I'm sure they will be ever so grateful for the lesson the store has taught them.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It really doesn't, it just pisses people off.

First thing I’d do is say f you and shop somewhere else.

"without immigration we wouldn't have..."

Really? I like to buy olive oil from Spain. Is it being made by spanish immigrants or what?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    First thing I’d do is say f you and shop somewhere else.
    Pretty much. Little stunt will just drive more people away.

Except a foreign produced product has not a damn thing to do with immigration.

Importing food from foreign countries isn't the same as unchecked immigration.

7+ Year Old Account
    What does importing products have to do with immigration?

Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    Punishing amd shaming your customers is a great business move. I'm sure they will be ever so grateful for the lesson the store has taught them.
    I don't see any punishment. The only one they are hurting are their own sales. We are talking Hamburg, Germany. You'd be hard pressed to have to walk further than 150 meters in any given direction without finding a supermarket.

And how is a demonstration like this shaming? Given the average intelligence of the german right most of them probably don't realize just how strongly they rely on foreign products on a daily basis, aswell as the services these foreigners provide.

But no. They won't be grateful. They already are ignorant bastards. They won't lern from this, all they will do is complain about the suffering imposed on them by the fashistic-left Gutmenschenbrut.

Also, this is directed at xenophobia. The choice of words in the article, 'taking the figth against anti-immigration to the next level', is very poor. It shows how strongly we rely on foreign products. We have already integrated broad aspects of foreign cultures, and this clearly shows how dull life would be without them.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2017-08-30 at 10:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Very clever and well intentioned move. Sure shows how foolish those against diversity and immigration are.
    Now all you have to do is explain to the class how those products relate to immigration (here is a hint, they dont, not a bit)... and all this virtue signaling stunt is going to do is anger their customers and they'll go elsewhere. Brilliant move, if you want to go bankrupt, not too bright if you want to stay in business.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Yeah that's pretty dumb, without immigrants we would still get all those products. How did nobody think this through? Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

What does immigration have to do with importing goods from another country?

So basically a politically motivated stunt to try and make Merkel look good before the elections. Since everyone knows that pretentious stunts win votes I'm sure this will all pay off and help the store build there customer base.

pretty dumb of them, but hey, their loss of costumers ROFL

Sounds like. Supermarket to stay away from. Hope this stunt backfires and the go out of business

10+ Year Old Account
    Well thats dumb. Their market share just went down.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

"In our stores we sell numerous foods which are produced in the various regions of Germany"

Wow! That really is diverse.

No one against immigration is saying "WE DON'T NEED OTHER COUNTRIES".

They are saying "We pay our taxes to take care of the people already here, not to have the same budget and have to take care of 3 times as many people as we have now".

Not wanting immigration does not imply that you are against trading with these other countries...

Japan has very strict immigration policy yet is the #1 importer of pork and #2 importer of beef.

The logical leap made by this supermarket is absurd.