Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Discarded banana peel puts an end to college event.

Source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...hort-over-dis/

A Greek life camping retreat sponsored by the University of Mississippi over the weekend was canceled after a group of black students discovered a discarded banana peel in a tree.

/snip

Senior accounting major Ryan Swanson admitted during the group sessions that he discarded the banana peel in the tree after he couldn’t find a trash can nearby.
    Well then.

I was like, "No - this is surely some sort of snopes level material right here." However a quick cruise of Google shows its being reported across many sources.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's so special about a banana peel?

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    It was hanging. From a tree. Like a lynched person. Which is highly racist and offensive... I guess?
    В предчувствии движения племен,
    Разломов тверди и кончины мира
    Пою не то, о чем мечтает лира,
    А имена теней и тень имен.

For the love of... will somebody please just stop this train.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Yeah, hm, what exactly is "greek life camping"? Camping on credit? And what has a banana peel to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    You are from Europe. Surely you know of the issues concerning the use of banana peels and bananas being thrown at black people are all types of events.

Quote Originally Posted by Hound Archon View Post
    It was hanging. From a tree. Like a lynched person. Which is highly racist and offensive... I guess?
    You know you've taken a turn for the worst when you're offended by a discarded fruit

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You are from Europe. Surely you know of the issues concerning the use of banana peels and bananas being thrown at black people are all types of events.
    I am also from Europe. I still have no idea what banana (peels) has to do with anything.

Deleted
    I remember Everton fans hurling bananas at john Barnes in the 80s.

Pretty sickening.

Deleted
    Holy shit, what are you guys doing over there?

10+ Year Old Account
    The only use of banana peels I know of is for slipping in slapstick and cartoons.

I would need to see the crime scene before I could accurately assess the emotional turmoil those individuals are going through right now. It must have been devastating, to see a banana peel discarded haphazardly in their vicinity. No doubt they were so consumed by the big white boogeyman that the first thought popping into their minds was a vicious attack on their black identity by fucking closet white nazi racists hiding among them like filthy snakes in the grass!!!

There comes a point when people know they are full of shit and only complaining for the attention. I think we have reached that time. And if they are seriously effected by this then we should ignore them. Much like ignoring a child throwing a fit.

So. One banana peel that a guy threw away because he couldn't find a trash can. If this is correct, I feel good about the future. We will perish as a species.

So they found a banana peel and played the racism card?

So to summarise:
    -Black students go camping
    -A banana peel is discovered outside their bunk hanging from a tree
    -They think the KKK are coming to lynch them
    -They leave camp because they don't feel safe
    -Turns out it was one of the students who had just discarded the banana peel because they couldn't find a bin

Seems silly but to be fair with the climate over there I can see why the students didn't feel safe at the time.

Surely if you're camping, discarded fruit is better left to rot there than in a plastic bag. If anything, i'm confused why you'd throw it in the tree instead of tossing it near the roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    So to summarise:
    -Black students go camping
    -A banana peel is discovered outside their bunk hanging from a tree
    -They think the KKK are coming to lynch them
    -They leave camp because they don't feel safe
    -Turns out it was one of the students who had just discarded the banana peel because they couldn't find a bin

Seems silly but to be fair with the climate over there I can see why the students didn't feel safe at the time.
    They could fucking see a random German Shepard, not one that's even aggressive or barking, and say that it reminded them of the civil rights era and scared them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    I would need to see the crime scene before I could accurately assess the emotional turmoil those individuals are going through right now. It must have been devastating, to see a banana peel discarded haphazardly in their vicinity. No doubt they were so consumed by the big white boogeyman that the first thought popping into their minds was a vicious attack on their black identity by fucking closet white nazi racists hiding among them like filthy snakes in the grass!!!

There comes a point when people know they are full of shit and only complaining for the attention. I think we have reached that time. And if they are seriously effected by this then we should ignore them. Much like ignoring a child throwing a fit.
    I think that when it comes to "being full of shit and wanting attention", it is the white teenager that sued his parents for being born white who takes the proverbial cake.
    В предчувствии движения племен,
    Разломов тверди и кончины мира
    Пою не то, о чем мечтает лира,
    А имена теней и тень имен.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    They could fucking see a random German Shepard, not one that's even aggressive or barking, and say that it reminded them of the civil rights era and scared them.
    What do German Shepards have to do with lynching Black people? Nazi's sure, but I'm not entirely what this has to do with the civil rights movement.

If I left a decapitated horse head in your bed and you weren't aware that I'd just put it there for safe keeping you wouldn't feel at all threatened?

Either way it was hysteria but it does have context.