Frost DK opening 7.3

Hi all,

Is there a general consensus about the opening rotation as a Frost DK in 7.3?

I'm rocking RA/GS/Obliteration build, 4p T20, Toravon and Cold Heart.

Thanks in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by guzacon View Post
    Hi all,

Is there a general consensus about the opening rotation as a Frost DK in 7.3?

I'm rocking RA/GS/Obliteration build, 4p T20, Toravon and Cold Heart.

Thanks in advance.
    RW, PoF, Chains of Ice, Howling Blast, Obliterate, Obliteration, Frost Strike. You could wait with RW until after Howling Blast to build faster stacks with GS at the expense of blowing a GCD after PoF, but I don't think it matters that much.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-09-01 at 02:20 PM.

When is the best time to use Empowered Rune Weapon CD? As obliteration it seems like a clunky CD. Just pop it with your 2nd pillar that isn't paired with Obliteration?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kluian05 View Post
    When is the best time to use Empowered Rune Weapon CD? As obliteration it seems like a clunky CD. Just pop it with your 2nd pillar that isn't paired with Obliteration?
    I always pop it whenever I'm fuck outta runes and rp. Happens coincidentally every 3 minutes on average. Also, Obliteration should be up for PoF if you run Icecap (and you should).
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-09-01 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I always pop it whenever I'm fuck outta runes and rp. Happens coincidentally every 3 minutes on average. Also, Obliteration should be up for PoF if you run Icecap (and you should).
    Yes Obliteration is always used with PoF running Icecap, but since PoF is essentially becomes a 45 sec CD with Icecap, the even ones are used outside Obliteration.

So my take is

0:00 = Oblieration + PoF

~0:45 = ERW + PoF

1:30 = Oblieration + PoF

Sometimes I feel like there's never a useful time to use ERW, especially if running a Frostscythe build and using FS during procs over Obliterate.

Don't worry about pairing it with PoF. Just save it until you're out of shit to do.

And my opening is slightly different but maybe I put more emphasis on keeping diseases up on the target then maybe I should. I usually HB, RW, and then in the same global: PoF, on use trinket, Chains, Obliterate down to one rune, Obliteration: gogogogogogogogo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    Don't worry about pairing it with PoF. Just save it until you're out of shit to do.

And my opening is slightly different but maybe I put more emphasis on keeping diseases up on the target then maybe I should. I usually HB, RW, and then in the same global: PoF, on use trinket, Chains, Obliterate down to one rune, Obliteration: gogogogogogogogo
    Yeah the opener isn't a big deal at all. You could do it a million different ways with 1% discrepancy.

Copy and pasted my reply from another thread which covers opening as well
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I made a mistake there, as 1) and 2) are not in order. Allow me to re-explain

My exact rotation, in details, goes something like this

1) Pre-pot and PoF on pull
    2) Remorseless Winter + Howling Blast. I do not wait for rime procs, I like to get my FF up asap.
    3) 2 x Obliterate + consume any Rime Procs.

By this moment you should be out of runes, with the first two runes coming up in a sec or two.

4) Frost Strike down to 30-40ish Runic Power. Consume any KM/Rimes that comes up.
    5) Obliteration
    6) Alternate between Frost Strike (Rime HB) + Obliterate until Obliteration ends. Do not waste any Rime procs. Sometime you might waste a natural KM procs, which is ok.

When Obliteration ends, you should still be in PoF with a few sec left. You might have a bigger window if you have 2P ToS set.

7) Dump all your RP via Frost Strike. I don't mind holding onto KM procs during this step until all my RP is dumped.
    8) All your runes will be up again at this point. Remorseless Winter should already be off CD.
    9)Remorseless Winter + Howling Blast + 2xObliterate (consume all your runes)
    10) ERW. After you ERW, you should have full runes and almost full RP.
    11) Alternate between Frost Strike and Obliterate. This is to ensure you don't overcap RP and runes recharge. Your Remorseless Winter should still be running. Be sure to get 2xObliterate in so you have 10 stacks of Gathering Storm for maximum damage.

From this point, just play as per normal. Key this is not to overcap resources and consume KM/Rime as soon as you can.
    If a boss fight runs long, pay attention to when your PoF is coming off CD. With Icecap, you should be able to squeeze another PoF before the Obliteration comes off CD.

Pay attention to when is Obliteration is coming off CD. Always line it up with PoF. When Obliteration is about 10sec to come off CD, you want to empty all your runes to about 2-3 runes and RP to about 30-40 RP. This is to ensure you don't overcap any resources during Obliteration window. It happens more often than not if you're running RA and ME talents.

If you choose RA, this rotation can result in occasional over cap on RP. Because of this you can consider Shattering Strike. However I have not tested Shattering Strike out yet.

Due to the amount procs thats trigger of runes spending (see list below), I value haste a lot higher (provided you have a good base crit)
    1) The amount of Frost Strike and Obliterate you gets off during Obliteration
    2) Gathering Storm
    3) Icecap
    4) 2P ToS Set
    5) 4P ToS Set
    6) RA

- - - Updated - - -

Basically, its not really a rotation. What we are trying to accomplish is to squeeze as much KM Obliterate as much within Pots+bloodlust+PoF without wasting GCD and resources and Rime Procs.

You also need to ensure ERW is not sitting off cooldown for too long because you are "waiting for the perfect moment". The best way to ensure this while maximizing damage is to
    1)Dump all RP with Frost Strike
    2)Remorseless Winter + HB + 2 x Obliterate (6 runes in total)
    3) Frost Strike once IF you are overcap on RP
    4) ERW + Obliterate ( to get 10 stacks on Gathering Storm)

Thus, the rotation.

If you find yourself overcapping on resources, you can always try out Shattering Strike or Icy Talons.