Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Religion does not belong in politics. It's nothing more than a way for people to force archaic beliefs onto others, and hide behind a book written and rewritten hundreds of years ago. If you want religion in politics, don't complain when another religion takes over, and forces you to follow theirs.
    A book that includes specific instructions that government and religion should not mix.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    A book that includes specific instructions that government and religion should not mix.
    But how can you enjoy your religion, if you can't force it onto others with a gun to their head?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Don't get me wrong, this is not nation bashing, but in my perception the US isn't secular at all. I don't know if this still holds true but afaik a candidate proclaiming to be an atheist wouldn't even be able to enter the primaries?
    Far as I know, there's nothing technically stopping an atheist from entering the primaries. Both parties have rules as to who can do so, there isn't an explicit religion test in either of them, and there are times when people the party absolutely hates enters the primaries. How far they would get though is another question entirely.

I believe very strongly that somebody running as an open atheist for President would not get elected. Again if both candidates were "equal".
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Some religious influence on politcs is good for all countries

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    Some religious influence on politcs is good for all countries
    So, you support Sharia Law? Good to know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    So, you support Sharia Law? Good to know.
    Why do you you always assume the worse out of religion? It's done good things for billions of people?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    I'm kind of curious: Is this normal for american people? A release like that i would expect form Khomeni in Iran or Erdogan in Turkey, not from the leader of a secular western country.
    It's more than normal. If a politician doesn't say "God Bless America" on more than a daily basis, the religious right throws an unholy fit, declares him an "atheist" and he doesn't get releected.

It's fucking stupid.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets not start threads on religion, ok? DOnt see how this goes anywhere but religious discussion

closing