Deleted

Question Finding Land in the Sea, that is WoW Lore

Hi

I played WoW from 2007 until the beginning of MoP.
    Like most players I didn't want to bother with lore. I never read any quest texts.
    I always thought it was just "The harpy attacks on our village are getting more frequent. Please venture out to their nest, kill their matriarch and bring me one of it's signature purple feathers".
    Then, at the end of Cata I created a Worgen and I had the idea to actually read the quest texts and follow the story of that zone. I was blown away by how much I enjoyed it.
    But WoW lore still seemed like something I couldn't catch up with. Whenever I tried, it was either boring, or I had no idea whats going on.

So now I plan to play WoW again after over 5 years and I thought I'd ask you guys for advice on how to start getting the grip of WoW lore and understand what's actually going on. Because after they implement scaling on all the zones I would actually explore some of it's stories.

Could you give me a starting point for my endeavors to understand WoW lore?
    I was almost about to ask for a book you recommend, but then I saw the ridiculously long list of books on you sticky.
    Ain't nobody got time for that
    Maybe some Videos I could watch?
    And general recommendations?

I think theres some youtube recap ones for some rough bits, but it will more depend on which part you are interested in.

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would also suggest reading Chronicles, since it features the beginning of the cosmos, of Azeroth and her primal races and eras.

It is really hard to catch up now if you haven't lived through it. A LOT of things are going to contradict each other because of the many retcons involved as well as different time jumps in game from leveling or written based on the concurrent preretconnumberX lore...

Honesty, you can start by reading chronicles books which will give you a fairly good idea of the current lore but even then it will have is flaws and will give you a few head scratches here and there unless you are a blind zealot.

But you said you don't wanna read a book so the next best thing could be following some wow lore YT channels and focus on specific parts of the lore. Back when I paid attention to those, Nobbel was the guy I liked listening to, can't remember the exact name of the channel but another guy can help with that on here I'm sure.

http://wowloretldr.com/story/

That's a pretty good project trying to summarize the lore in layers, so that you only go as deep as you want.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaterasu65 View Post
    I would also suggest reading Chronicles, since it features the beginning of the cosmos, of Azeroth and her primal races and eras.
    Sounds good. Since I don't know much, I can't really say in what sub-stories I'm interested in, but general history about the universe and it's races could could be just what I need.
    I actually found the Lord of the Rings books boring, compared to the movies. But I enjoyed reading articles on a Wiki on how the world got created, what's Gandalfs or Saurons background, who are the Valar etc.

Do you know any YT Videos I could watch after or while reading Chronicles?

From MoP onward, the lore is really easy to understand as the voice acting increases a lot. Scripted events and cutscenes all over.

For the earlier stuff, just go to one of the Lore Youtubers, like Nobbel or Bellular who do an amazing job of recapping the lore. Some of the older videos are now retconned and i think with Nobbel's earlier stuff, he got a lot of it wrong(just like a lot of the posters on mmo-c) but are still really easy to listen to and enjoy.