Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Looks like S Korea is ready for action.

SEOUL, Sept. 3 (Yonhap) -- Top South Korean and U.S. military officers agreed Sunday to take military measures against North Korea for its latest nuclear test.

In a phone call with Gen. Joseph Dunford, chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS), his South Korean counterpart Gen. Jeong Kyeong-doo stressed the need for "effective military responses" to the provocation aimed at demonstrating the allies' force and resolve, according to Jeong's office.

Dunford voiced support for the offer and vowed cooperation, as they agreed to discuss all military measures against the North under the spirit of the alliance, it added.

Jeong also had phone talks with Gen. Vincent K. Brooks, commander of the U.S. Forces Korea and the allies' Combined Forces Command, shortly after news broke of the North's sixth nuclear test earlier in the day.

They agreed to take combined military measures against North Korea as early as possible, said South Korea's JCS.
    http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/nati...004700315.html

I still have my doubts that anything will happen, and I hope I'm right, but this could be an end to the madness. Either that or we could get sucked into another 10 year conflict.

Good thing everyone on here has been practicing war by playing world of Warcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd think that a mass-evacuation of everything within striking distance of NK's rockets would indicate any true readiness to tackle the hermit kingdom. I don't know how reasonable that is, but if people aren't evacuated, they're GOING to die.

Always good to be prepared I suppose...handling North Korea is going to result in such a profound loss of life.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    I'd think that a mass-evacuation of everything within striking distance of NK's rockets would indicate any true readiness to tackle the hermit kingdom. I don't know how reasonable that is, but if people aren't evacuated, they're GOING to die.

Always good to be prepared I suppose...handling North Korea is going to result in such a profound loss of life.
    There's tens of millions living within striking distance of NK.

I reckon they will bomb the shit out of all NK's artillery placements first if anything goes down to minimize the damage on soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    Nah, nothing will be done.
    The UN/US/S.K/Japan can't do anything because China isn't pulling its fingers out of its butthole to actually help stop N.K. If anything they keep importing coal and other products from them which funnels money into N.K

Even if it came to war, the un/u.s/s.k would have to strike first and be fast about it. If N.K launches just 1 nuke and hits seoul do you have any idea what will happen?
    They don't need to launch a nuke to cause massive destruction. 1 nuke wouldn't be as effective as the artillery they have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    There's tens of millions living within striking distance of NK.
    Does South Korea have any feasible plan for reducing casualties and getting its people away from the DMZ? I'm aware that Seoul is basically right there. Like you say, that's a ton of people. What can be done?
    [/url]

Does South Korea have any feasible plan for reducing casualties and getting its people away from the DMZ? I'm aware that Seoul is basically right there. Like you say, that's a ton of people. What can be done?
    You can't evacuate them all. It's not possible. NK would know too if you start evacuating people, so they'd know something is up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    I reckon they will bomb the shit out of all NK's artillery placements first if anything goes down to minimize the damage on soul.
    Tons of North Korea's firepower is sunken into mountains and below the earth. It's not as simple as tossing a MOAB or two into the hills, it's potentially a spidering network of munitions deep and safe. Not easy to defeat.

There's some great GREAT info in these two vids. I'm not normally the kind of person to post a video and go "just watch this" but they're genuinely interesting.

Summary: How the fuck did this situation even happen:

Summary: Why can't we just bomb 'em / assassinate Kim / *insert simple solution here*

[/url]

Tons of North Korea's firepower is sunken into mountains and below the earth. It's not as simple as tossing a MOAB or two into the hills, it's potentially a spidering network of munitions deep and safe. Not easy to defeat.

There's some great GREAT info in these two vids. I'm not normally the kind of person to post a video and go "just watch this" but they're genuinely interesting.

Summary: How the fuck did this situation even happen:

Summary: Why can't we just bomb 'em / assassinate Kim / *insert simple solution here*

Thanks my evening saved

Haven't we at least gotten down the technology to shoot potential nuclear missiles out of the sky?

10+ Year Old Account
    Their metro system is intentionally built quite deep to double as bomb shelters, although many would die due to their artillery. NK is effectively holding Seoul at gun point with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Yepp, basically, the West fucked up big-time by not dealing with North Korea on time. It's too late now. Any solution now will result in hundreds of thousands if not millions of deaths (the latter being more probable). Continuing to rattle swords with North Korea is a bad option as well. The West needs to come up with an actual plan of toppling the regime and occupying the country. Yes, it will be bloody. But, it absolutely needs to be done before North Korea becomes capable of launching proper ICBMs and before they perfect their hydrogen bombs.

The first point of order in this hypothetical operation would be, I imagine, a coordinated airstrike against NK's artillery positions near Seoul, involving hundreds of aircraft, possibly thousands. America has thousands, let alone if you count in other Western countries. So yeah, it's probably possible to keep Seoul casualties below a million.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2017-09-03 at 08:24 PM.

This guy gets it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Good thing everyone on here has been practicing war by playing world of Warcraft.
    Always wondered if drones have a gcd

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Yepp, basically, the West fucked up big-time by not dealing with North Korea on time. It's too late now. Any solution now will result in hundreds of thousands if not millions of deaths (the latter being more probable). Continuing to rattle swords with North Korea is a bad option as well. The West needs to come up with an actual plan of toppling the regime and occupying the country. Yes, it will be bloody. But, it absolutely needs to be done before North Korea becomes capable of launching proper ICBMs and before they perfect their hydrogen bombs.
    We can't destroy North Korea through warfare. It wouldn't work. We'd probably never win an invasion of the country and it would create one of the largest humanitarian/migrant disasters of human history.

North Korea will never fire a nuclear weapon. That isn't a threat, nor should it ever become an excuse for the USA to try invading the country.

That will not work at all. NKs artillery is embedded in granite cliffs that overlook SK. Experts say that it would take 6 months of constant bombardment to take them out.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    We can't destroy North Korea through warfare. It wouldn't work. We'd probably never win an invasion of the country and it would create one of the largest humanitarian/migrant disasters of human history.

North Korea will never fire a nuclear weapon. That isn't a threat, nor should it ever become an excuse for the USA to try invading the country.
    Don't worry, @Tennisace and Canada would handle it. Just means more migrants for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    That will not work at all. NKs artillery is embedded in granite cliffs that overlook SK. Experts say that it would take 6 months of constant bombardment to take them out.
    True but if NK attacks first wouldnt attacking as many of those artillery places be a first priority still? or maby they just nuke the place and get them all in one go

True but if NK attacks first wouldnt attacking as many of those artillery places be a first priority still? or maby they just nuke the place and get them all in one go
    Yes, destroying the North Korean artillery batteries would be a top priority. No, we would not nuke them.