Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Walking Dead scenario, do you think most people are bad or good?

Most of us are familiar with The Walking Dead. Say you found yourself in such a scenario, do you believe most people would cooperate and help each other or do you think it would be every man for themselves?

Do you think most would resort to banditry or would most be eager to form law abiding communities?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    Houstonians would work together, I don't know about the rest of you.

I think I would join up with people from my religion and seclude ourselves from the savages and the sinners.

Let's see how "good" the general populace is once you run out of food and energy...

Out of the same reasons people used to live in tribes and now in mega cities: Humans are pretty social as long as they get an advantage from it.
    The different groups won't be hostile to each other as long as there is a common non-human threat and unless the scarcity of ressources would endanger their survival.

I imagine that most would start out looking after each other. The strongest making supply runs and such. But after the ratio of living:dead gets worse I expect things would go down hill pretty quickly. Psychopaths make up about 1% of the population. Psychologists who work with psychopaths theorise that they exist because they have a role to play in society. They thrive in high-pressure, high-risk environments and don't often have a hard time making decisions. They are the fearless risk takers who hunt the biggest game and take down the predators (in 'cave-man' terms). I suspect that a zombiepocalypse population would be considerably more than 1% psychopath.

Now, that's not to say that psychopaths are inherently evil. Many of them live peaceful lives as part of society. However, in this kind of 'kill or be killed' scenario, they will chose kill every time.

I think if shit hit the fan (does not have to be zombies lol..) - all hell will break loose in USA, way to many fire arms and way to much ammunition for it not to get insane..

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I think I would join up with people from my religion and seclude ourselves from the savages and the sinners.
    You'd get raided so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity2015 View Post
    I think if shit hit the fan (does not have to be zombies lol..) - all hell will break loose in USA, way to many fire arms and way to much ammunition for it not to get insane..
    To be fair, if it WAS zombies, those firearms would be pretty handy. We'd be stuck with cricket bats here in the UK. Thank God zombies don't exist and there's no real reason for us to change our gun laws.

It depends on the circumstances. How scarce resources are, how many people are still alive, how many allies you have, how defensible your home is, etc.

There would definitely be raiders to some extent, but I think overall humans would be pretty good to each other.

If resources were REALLY rare, people would fight over them.

I have an underground bunker prepped with 10 years of food, running filtered water, solar and wind power. I would take my family and live in relative comfort without having to deal with what the world turned into.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    I fucking miss Houston. People in the Northwest are so rude or indifferent to strangers. I know more about random people that I rode on the bus with in Houston than I do people that I work with everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Let's see how "good" the general populace is once you run out of food and energy...
    its quite simple. we adapt like we always did thru history.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    thats easy

walkers can't swim
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Probably an healthy mix in the beginning.

The "Good" portion will be eventually outmaneuvered by the "Bad" portion - either by over-trusting or trying above and beyond to help others, endangering themselves and like-minded individuals in the process.

If the walking dead became real life I would imagine humanity would be far more successful containing the threat and disposing the dead than the idiots on the show. Ultimately it is mindless zombies that are the enemy; even a makeshift fence works reasonably well. Science, technology and weapons would eventually prevail, not ankle grabbing black guys in abandoned grocery stores!

On the other hand I do think people would turn into individualistic survivors far more so than the cast of the show. Being "good people" will not be a concept, only survival. The living would congregate in much larger groups I imagine and slowly push back.

We have managed to avoid apocalyptic disaster before, like the black plague. If you are not aware go wikipedia it and be amazed at how scrappy we were even without all the science we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vamperica View Post
    Your questions don't really line up with "Good or Bad." People are going to form packs and those packs are going to fight over resources.
    This. At first people would try to co-operate with each other or at the very least ignore other groups, but as the amount of available resources goes down and/or various tragedies happen, groups would become more secluded and hostile to one another. Of course, not all at the same time - it would depend on how well each group is doing and what skills the members have.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    If the walking dead became real life I would imagine humanity would be far more successful containing the threat and disposing the dead than the idiots on the show. Ultimately it is mindless zombies that are the enemy; even a makeshift fence works reasonably well. Science, technology and weapons would eventually prevail, not ankle grabbing black guys in abandoned grocery stores!

On the other hand I do think people would turn into individualistic survivors far more so than the cast of the show. Being "good people" will not be a concept, only survival. The living would congregate in much larger groups I imagine and slowly push back.

We have managed to avoid apocalyptic disaster before, like the black plague. If you are not aware go wikipedia it and be amazed at how scrappy we were even without all the science we have now.
    We only survived the plague or the spanish feaver because its not 100% deadly oh and Islands are handy when its come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post

No, humanity would fall into the have and the have nots and the have nots will want what the haves have. The world would turn exactly into what the Walking Dead portrays.

Without the same boring storylines of course.

Good and bad are social constructs engineered by societies that are already in their "thriving" stage. Humans are naturally social creatures and will group up to increase their chances at survival. However, we are also creatures of opportunity, so two groups are seldom to get along. Far easier for one group to take over weaker ones and reap the rewards. These "bandit" groups are no different than any other tribe, really. The only difference here would be how lax the laws they set forth within their organization and what social norms they set for themselves to get along. Group A might set a social norm to be more self sufficient and look down on preying on individuals. Group B however might prefer to play the predator role in order to continue existing. Neither A or B are necessarily good or evil. They are just doing what they need to do to continue cooperating as their own respective cohesive unit.
    Last edited by LinkR; 2017-09-03 at 11:44 PM.