Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Spec for questing?

sneaky 10char
    Last edited by anon5123; 2017-09-05 at 02:26 PM.

Bloated compared to what ? To be honest, it doesn't have more buttons than say a dh tank or a paladin tank / heal, or any healer class. I guess you're not used to it yet ?

I hate monk for world quests. No redeeming qualities just mediocre or poor everything.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    ...read the post. Compared to Brewmaster.

With Brewmaster, I just hit keg/breath and jab/blackout, for the most part, and keep isb up, and maybe jade wind. 6 buttons total.

With WW, you have jab, blackout, rsk, strike of the memelord, chi wave, fists, whirling dragon, all on top of having to watch energy and chi. 7 buttons + watching energy and chi. And one of those buttons is dependent on two of the others being on cooldown.

And that's not even including the million cooldown abilities WW has.
    Maybe try to use some weak auras to help track the CDs ? Sure Brewmasters have fewer offensive spells and a shittons more survivability, but it's not like WW is hard to play either. With your ilvl most mobs die to 2-3 hits. Whirlwind Dragon Punch isn't mandatory : you can also play with serenity which makes the whole rotation easier (not to mention it doesn't necessarily do less dps than the other talent).

But really, you should use Weak auras. Your offensive spells consists mostly of TP and BoK. Then it's either SotW, RSK, or FoF. Tbh it's not harder than the other DPS specs. Actually, WW seems to be one of the most bursty out of all the DPS classes I've played so far.

Tanks rotation has always been simple most of the time. But they all do less dps. If you have some troubles with WW survivability, then take a healer with you (thinking about Li li).

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I hate monk for world quests. No redeeming qualities just mediocre or poor everything.
    Maybe you don't like playing monk ? Nothing wrong with that. What I really liked about this class is the Keg day's bonus thing, where you have a chance to get an infinite roll (or Chi torpedo). I can see myself picking it up again just for Argus since we won't be getting the whistle or flying mount for a while.
    With this bonus, they're like the fastest class in order to get from point A to point B.
    Last edited by Raiz; 2017-09-04 at 04:00 AM.

I'd stick with Brewmaster, not because Windwalker is more complicated - it really isn't that complicated at all - but because Windwalker is boring.

BrM just feels like some of your hits are heavy, WW it feels like I'm plinking away at my foes with a pellet gun.

Anyway, point was that you should play what you enjoy and then play to the strengths of that spec. WW - at least as I played - was terribly single target so you'll want to be selective in your targets. BrM is lower damage but easy AoE so just wrangle and burn them down.

WW because mobility and damage.

Which spec is the best for doing world quests? I've been using Brewmaster simply because it's my main spec, and it seems to work okay enough. Good survivability, tons of AoE damage, and some good self-heals. Really simple rotation of just using keg/firebreath on cooldown and using jab/blackout/jade wind outside of that.

Windwalker just seems insanely bloated in comparison. So many buttons. So, so many buttons to press, and cooldowns to keep track of, energy, chi, and less defenses/self healing. But it does seem to have better single target damage.

Haven't tried Mistweaver in solo questing, but in dungeons it does seem to hit pretty hard with what abilities it does have.

Currently 892 with no legendaries.
    Sounds like you should just practice WW, it's really not that hard once you put some work into it. But overall I find tanks to be the quickest with WQ's (for most, anyway) simply because with enough gear, you can pull literally everything you see at the same time and aoe it all down. The same can be done with a dps spec when you have some more gear. And of course WW will have more damage output than brewmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Dacu View Post
    Sounds like you should just practice WW, it's really not that hard once you put some work into it. But overall I find tanks to be the quickest with WQ's (for most, anyway) simply because with enough gear, you can pull literally everything you see at the same time and aoe it all down. The same can be done with a dps spec when you have some more gear. And of course WW will have more damage output than brewmaster
    I agree, but not really about brewmasters. It's hard pulling mobs together compared to other tanks. Lightning sucks and 20meter keg slows for a lot. I find it much easier to do them with WW even tho BRM is my main. With a little bit of practice you don't need to even look at chi, because you calculate it in your head all the time TP(+2)-RSK(-2)-TP(+2)-BK(-1)+TP(+2)-FoF(-3) etc

But for undergeared characters tank>dd spec most of the time, yes.

If you're not spamming ISB during questing (even without special delivery) you're doing it wrong, because it is free 30% movement boost (feral level movement). Also you need to manage Blackout Combo and "2 cooldowns" doesn't cut it at all and if you're running High Tolerance for WQ - Y THO?

(I quoted you, but it was said to anon basically)
    Last edited by ReD-EyeD; 2017-09-04 at 09:45 AM.

How does WW have more mobility? Brewmaster gets practically passive +30% movement speed that stacks with Chi Torpedo. Windwalking is only +10%.
    Flying Serpent Kick is insane and Coursing River requires stack time which is hard when you're mounting a lot between points while WW aura is passive.
    It's still comparison between good a very good mobility.

What's the point of this thread if you already obviously prefer BrM, both specs are good.

Eh. It only goes ~40yd or so and has a 25s CD. Not really "insane" per se. Just feels like a buffed Roll on a longer CD.
    We get it, you don't like WW. Nothing wrong with that. Just, please, be lenient with the comparisons when it comes to WW because everything scream you played this spec only a couple hours. We probably have put more hours than you so we may have a better vision of how both specs work. All I can say is that if you like the current state of the BrM, then stick with it until you're comfortable enough to play the others spec if you feel like it.
    At this moment, BrM may have a slighter advantage for movement only because of the "daze" and because they have better survivability. WW clearly outdps BrM by 10 to 20% and with a higher ilvl, they probably can kill most of the mobs in Argus without the need to be a tank.

So yeah, there you go. If you don't like the having to press more buttons, then stick with BrM.

Personally I love both of them. I use BrM when I feel really laze and don't want to deal with this crappy argus expansion and its neverending spawning mobs in narrow paths.
    Everywhere else, I just go crazy with the dps and I'm done with those bullshit WQs in no time.

I main a WW monk and I find it extremely streamlined for completing WQs. Mobility is among the highest in the game, making it simply to move from target to target (particularly in a non-flying area, since druid mobility in flying trumps all). Concise AoE is also very potent, allowing you to knock out a 12-15 kill count in 2 or 3 pulls generally. None of my other characters even comes close to my WW monk in WQs, and I don't even waste a moment thinking about swapping to BM.
    I'm not always right, you're just usually wrong.

Starting your post with a passive aggressive insult. Nice.
    It's not even an insult. Either a nice troll bait or you seem to get easily offended. You know we all have differents opinions ? I tried to explain (probably not my best explanation) what's the difference between the 2 specs and I told you multiple times the pros and cons but it seems you already made the choice before even starting this thread. Maybe you should grow up ?
    Leveled 100-110 with it and used it for questing here and there. Never really got used to it.
    Leveling 100 > 110 is pretty different than playing with high ilvl gear.
    I'm pretty sure you won't stay silent and want to have the last word, so this is gonna be my last contribution for you. I wish you the best.

Eh. It only goes ~40yd or so and has a 25s CD. Not really "insane" per se. Just feels like a buffed Roll on a longer CD.
    What? "ONLY" 40yd and 25s cd is pretty much definition of being insanely good mobility skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    It's not even an insult.
    You're rudely assuming something about me. That's an insult.

Either a nice troll bait or you seem to get easily offended.
    Yes, anyone who asks a question is trolling

obviously

it seems you already made the choice before even starting this thread. Maybe you should grow up ?
    More insults. Very mature.

I'm pretty sure you won't stay silent and want to have the last word, so this is gonna be my last contribution for you. I wish you the best.
    Yes, you "wish me the best", that's why you're insulting me over and over and accusing me of trolling because I disagree with you.

Mmhm, go right ahead and claim the moral high ground on an anonymous internet forum.

You're rudely assuming something about me. That's an insult.
    Stop being a drama queen. In my opinion Raiz was as polite as possible and he is "rudely assuming" that you played only few hours? That's an insult to you?
    Please refrain from offtopic and use proper report functions if you think someone is insulting you.

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    In my opinion Raiz was as polite as possible
    We get it, you're a huge Raiz fanboy.

is that not a passive aggressive insult? Because that's pretty much exactly what he said to me, rudely assuming something.

And then continued onward to accuse me of trolling and proclaim that he's leaving the thread and not replying to me anymore.

"polite as possible"...rofl

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    Please refrain from offtopic and use proper report functions if you think someone is insulting you.
    I did. Along with adding you and him to my ignore list. Fun times.

Personally, I recommend WW if you are well geared (maybe 910+?). There really isn't too much bloat if you don't want there to be. Most normal mobs are one-shot by rising sun kick and aoe packs die to one SotWL or FoF. Those are really the only button you need. Take chi orbit and eye of the tiger, and you won't need to worry about any extra button bloat. (Just use 2-1-3-2-1-3-1 built for easy and effective questing)

MW is really good at stalling at an elite mob (even the 7.3 elites) until another player comes to help kill it. The biggest drawback is the time it takes to kill things, but you have practically infinite long term survivability

BrM is actually in this weird middle-ground for me. It takes a noticeably longer amount of time to kill things over WW, and has less long-term survivability than MW (although it has vastly more short term survivability, but this isn't usually relevant in questing), so I don't really quest much as BrM

Off-topic: be careful about singling out other users and getting in screaming matches. It's a really fast way to get the thread locked our yourself banned. Just report them and move on.

I've been using Brewmaster for the most part on Argus, since it lets me solo the rare elites if I want to. Windwalker's great for bursting things down, but as soon as things start hitting back for any length of time, I find I drop dead very quickly. Trying to level as Brewmaster was painful though, as the damage output was pitiful. Now that I'm ~910 ilvl, the damage is enough that anything dies quick enough for my taste and I can pull as much as I like without fear of dying.

I do wish the Monk bodyguards were a bit better though. None of them do much damage and the Monkey King's stun doesn't work on Argus elites. Nighthuntress Syrenne on my Hunter does ridiculous damage with her traps, which would be lovely as a tank.

WW is amazing for world quests. great mobility, i can aoe things down with ease, i can solo things other players need parties for. great burst. when my friends and i do group wq's i normally am able to complete 2 quests in the time they do one.

i'd argue ww isn't that complicated, either. then again, i find the toolkit very intuitive so the learning curve hasn't been steep for me.