Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    And this is why rational human beings do not live in the southeastern united states.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    looks like the hurricane might be starting to weaken.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I'm going to be hit by this life ruining hurricane.. Cash donations would be preferred. Hook it up.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

I live, quite literally exactly where the eye of the storm is going to hit in florida. So I will get 2 eye wall sections minimum, 2 inner cyclon sections and both outer band sections.

Fun times.

Melbourne Fl ftw. Mandatory evacuations already in effect

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    And this is why rational human beings do not live in the southeastern united states.
    Using your brain, you should be able to figure out that not everyone has the resources or connections to simply uproot themselves and their family, then move across state lines to start over.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tylenol View Post
    No source to back this up but I'm fairly sure the only people who would get fired (not necessarily fired) for not showing up in a situation like this would be police, firefighters, medical people and whatnot, I'm sure there are some scumbag companies out there though
    I'm at work right now. Official company policy is business as usual and all employees are to report for work for the entirety of the week.

The unofficial addition to the above official policy is "--despite half the city where job is located already being shut down, tolls suspended, lower and eastern areas being evacuated, state emergency being declared. Because we don't actually care about you, your families well-being, or yours for that matter."

To answer the question of the post tylenol quoted though from @Nymrohd- if its a public service; there are rules in place. If it's a private business, it's entirely up to the company owners. The only thing that could force them to not fire you for not being there is if you live in an area under mandatory evacuation, even then they don't have to pay you; they just can't fire you specifically for not showing up to work due to the hurricane. Plenty of scumlord employers down here that will simply invent some other reason to fire you though and it would be 100% legal unless the employee could somehow provide proof that they were fired specifically due to following evacuation orders.

My employer for example is somewhere in the middle. Like I said, all of the companies that actually care already told everyone to stay home, stay safe, and get ready. Even most of the IT companies have their techs working remotely or have gone into "storm mode" (Usually means they send everyone home in shifts to get their shit shuttered and organized and then a skeleton crew comes back and bunkers in at the office- this is something some 24 support centers do)

Mine? We're business as usual but we are being allowed to leave 2 hours early yesterday and today- with tomorrow still being unconfirmed as to business as usual or closed; which basically means if we get an actual official hurricane warning status; they'll close up.

Is it unfair? no; their right as the business owners. I don't have to like it; but I won't pretend they're anything like some of the other companies out here making some pretty messed up demands of their people.

10+ Year Old Account
    This guys are flying into the eye of Irma. You can see the eye at 2min. first 2min are just showing the crew.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8ef_1504751875

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    looks like the hurricane might be starting to weaken.
    Very little difference in a Cat 5 to Cat 4.

Still catastrophic damage to property humans and animals.

Seriously GTFO

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul View Post
    I'm in Puerto Rico and it's absolutely terrifying. My wife and I have made all the preparations we can but even then, our local electric company (the only electric company in the island) advised we should make preparations to be a whole 4 months without any power. Not only am I not looking forward to this storm, but the aftermath is going to suck big time.

Nothing like a historical catastrophic hurricane during an economic crisis to cheer up the mood, right?
    Here's to hoping you read this soon; which would mean your power is back and you're okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    I never understood why government ever allowed houses to be built in flood zones.
    Texas, and Houston in particular, prides itself on not letting the evil government tell people what they can and can not do. There's a complete lack of zoning regulations there, and everyone is free to build whatever they want wherever they want. Thus you get chemical plants mixed in with residential areas in a paved-over swamp, and everyone is shocked when the area fills up with water every time it rains.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    Using your brain, you should be able to figure out that not everyone has the resources or connections to simply uproot themselves and their family, then move across state lines to start over.
    It was hyperbole bud, lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Another "funny" thing down here; the apartment rental communities. Specifically the ones which neither put up shutters for their tenets; nor provide shutters for the tenets to put up themselves, and in many cases (such as with mine), they ALSO do not allow tenets to purchase shutters/wood and board up their windows themselves.

Mind you, I have 1 large window in the bedroom and a sliding glass door leading to a small patio- its a small 1/1 first floor corner unit of something like sub 750 sqft. The glass is NOT impact glass; it's incredibly cheap. I'm not the only one (or the only apartment community) in this kind of situation- what are we supposed to do other than gtfo? What about our possessions? I have renters insurance but as many noted already; that won't exactly help too much.

In my case, I bought some wood and I have it inside. Once we have a more specific idea of when it's going to hit I have every single intention of going outside during the early stages of the storm, after I am sure these jackholes aren't going to be checking units anymore and boarding them the hell up anyway and if they don't like it they can kindly get bent. I am curious to know what, if anything, some of you would do in the same situation or suggest others in it do for themselves? Is my solution the best? Evacuate and simply hope the windows don't shatter leaving everything inside vulnerable? Or should I be telling my job to stick it up their arses, packing anything I care about into my truck, and taking a road trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    The most recent model has Jose crossing the Bahamas into the Gulf of Mexico as a Cat 2 or 3 at 240 hours.
    Well, I mean, one of the models has it doing that I guess.

Welp, just got the evac call. This is going to suck.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I live, quite literally exactly where the eye of the storm is going to hit in florida. So I will get 2 eye wall sections minimum, 2 inner cyclon sections and both outer band sections.

Fun times.

Melbourne Fl ftw. Mandatory evacuations already in effect
    That's rough, good luck to you all
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    That's rough, good luck to you all
    Ty we'll be fine. The cat carrier I ordered arrived just in time so if I end up hoofing it through the street I can carry them in a backpack style thing haha. though that's unlikely it has happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    Texas, and Houston in particular, prides itself on not letting the evil government tell people what they can and can not do. There's a complete lack of zoning regulations there, and everyone is free to build whatever they want wherever they want. Thus you get chemical plants mixed in with residential areas in a paved-over swamp, and everyone is shocked when the area fills up with water every time it rains.
    You see the google earth aerial of the Army Corps’ flood reservoir (Addicks and Barker)? They have housing developments downstream of the reservoirs. Who the hell do that? Even worse, people actually built inside the reservoirs. Which is the height of stupidity. How the Army Corps allowed that to happen is beyond me.

Deleted
    How many times do they have to rebuild there before they figure out how to build cat 5 resistant houses..

Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    How many times do they have to rebuild there before they figure out how to build cat 5 resistant houses..
    Try a bunker.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    As many as it takes. Cat 5 houses cost more than Stiff Breeze houses, so most don't bother.

This guy lost his front steps and a had couple of cracked windows, although water damage still wrecked the interior. His previous house on that same lot was destroyed by a hurricane three years earlier. ("First castle sank into the swamp...)