Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Well, maybe men should stop hitting each other then.
    yeah, and teens should stop having sex

There is a reason idealism is the complete opposite of realism
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    yeah, and teens should stop having sex

There is a reason idealism is the complete opposite of realism
    Well, maybe start with upbringing and education. Stop instilling toxic masculinity into boys so that they stop solving all their problems with violence.

Quote Originally Posted by elba View Post
    so that they stop solving all their problems with violence.
    says the antifa supporter!

Fucking lol!
    Unreason and anti-intellectualism abominate thought. Thinking implies disagreement; and disagreement implies nonconformity; and nonconformity implies heresy; and heresy implies disloyalty — so, obviously, thinking must be stopped. But shouting is not a substitute for thinking and reason is not the subversion but the salvation of freedom. - Adlai Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Giving advice is almost always a mistake, and this is victim blaming because it throws the responsibility of not breaking the law on someone who has already robbed.

Your parents aren't any different and the reason you have to tell them what you do is because we live in a society and culture that breeds contempt for weakness as though that were something that could be weeded out as a character flaw. It can't

Laurcus in the discussions that I have had with you, you come across as someone who is capable of thinking several steps ahead, which is not a compliment just an observation which I could be wrong about, just as you can be wrong.

And if you are honest you know damn well no matter how good you are, there is no chance you won't make a mistake, that is what intellect should tell you. Now someone with less intellect might say well you can keep swinging and eventually your average goes up thus = work hard.

The problem is neither can prepare you for a blind spot, which isn't to say you don't have to do your diligence.

The question is where is that line for expectation.

Your parents are older, you have told them, but it is very likely they don't understand, and just because they do something stupid as likely happens to all given enough time, and more often for too many, your parents don't deserve to be ripped off because they can be, and it isn't their fault.

They have a blind spot, you can't defend yourself from something you can't see, and even the most intellegent fall victim to it even if it's more rare. There is also a difference between being smart and being clever.

Clever people can fool intelligent and smart people. Because of this blind spot.

As to the rest of your post I work in security, and have for many many years and the one constant I would say between those that do it and those that don't understand it, is people in security always know it is a matter of WHEN not IF it gets through.

And there are those that spend a fortune to see it coming.

So what chance do you think your average mouth breather has?

So unless you propose we should start taking the rights away from people too low in I.Q to make a prudent enough decision on life choices, OR we focus as most do on criminals and criminal behavior.

It's always about control, but control is an illusion, at best you can mitigate disaster, that is it, and as harsh as the truth might be, that is what security is about.
    I more or less agree with you here. The one point of disconnect is that I don't see it as an either or proposition. To me choosing between trying to empower the victims to save themselves and focusing on policies to reduce the frequency of rape is a false dichotomy. I say we do both. As a society we have the man hours and the willpower.

I have seen no argument made that says teaching women to be vigilant will somehow prevent us from having better policies to deal with systemic criminal behavior. The only argument against self defense teaching that I have heard is that it's "victim blaming" which is morally wrong, and the argument is quickly becoming a thought terminating cliche instead of something grounded on rational argumentation and empirical evidence.

I am even willing to grant that self defense training is victim blaming and victim blaming is wrong. I don't care. I would rather be evil and save someone's life than be good and let them die or get raped. I am not saying that is a magic bullet solution and that all rapes will stop because of better self defense teaching, but I certainly don't see how it would make the problem worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Livnthedream View Post
    says the antifa supporter!

Fucking lol!
    Am I being wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Then I hope I never see you complain about young men being told to attend a "how not to be a rapist" class.
    My stance on those classes: I think it's a silly and unrealistic idea, but I am not vigorously opposed to it either. I suppose since I see so many men advocating for such classes some men must feel they are effective or that they have personally been helped by such classes, so maybe I am wrong that it's an unrealistic and silly idea. *shrugs* Thankfully I possess the magical ability to not advocate for my personal opinion as policy.

Am I being wrong?
    Yes.

Though any point I make you will ignore or vainly attempt to make fun of, so what is the point exactly?
    Unreason and anti-intellectualism abominate thought. Thinking implies disagreement; and disagreement implies nonconformity; and nonconformity implies heresy; and heresy implies disloyalty — so, obviously, thinking must be stopped. But shouting is not a substitute for thinking and reason is not the subversion but the salvation of freedom. - Adlai Stevenson

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, maybe start with upbringing and education.
    yeah! and teach them about good guys and bad guys and other goo goo gah gah shit

Men will always be physically dominant, cause they are men, and its just fun

That is how half the human race is, nad there is nothing you will ever do that will change that
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I said it before, I'll say it again: their argument is American Sharia Law. Punish women because we
    For the record, I am not advocating for punishing women, or anyone else. I think everyone should at some point in their life take a serious self defense class and exercise basic situational awareness. That's men and women.

But I am also a bit of a prude and don't drink or get high, and I lock my doors at night.

It's ok people, we have the real answer right here!

Yes.

Though any point I make you will ignore or vainly attempt to make fun of, so what is the point exactly?
    Well, that's an easy way to dodge.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah! and teach them about good guys and bad guys and other goo goo gah gah shit

Men will always be physically dominant, cause they are men, and its just fun

That is how half the human race is, nad there is nothing you will ever do that will change that
    You have a pretty low opinion of men.

Well, that's an easy way to dodge
    Not a dodge when it is a repeated pattern with you.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You have a pretty low opinion of men.
    trying to 'teach' men to be less physical is as completely delusionaly retarded as trying to 'teach' teenagers to have less horomones.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    A lot of men act all offended if you actually practice safety measures around men though.
    Clearly the expectation is that women should be ninjas.

Not a dodge when it is a repeated pattern with you.
    So, why engage me in the first place? If you have nothing to add?

- - - Updated - - -

trying to 'teach' men to be less physical is as completely delusionaly retarded as trying to 'teach' teenagers to have less horomones.
    I did not say physical. I said violent. How you react to and how you cope with situations heavily depend on the values instilled in you.

So, why engage me in the first place? If you have nothing to add?
    "Stop shitposting, that is my job!!!!!"

Yeah, no.

Seems reasonable. You're always way safer in a group.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I see Elba is up to his classical double standards ramblings again.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I see Elba is up to his classical double standards ramblings again.
    Elaborate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I more or less agree with you here. The one point of disconnect is that I don't see it as an either or proposition. To me choosing between trying to empower the victims to save themselves and focusing on policies to reduce the frequency of rape is a false dichotomy. I say we do both. As a society we have the man hours and the willpower.
    I agree, but taking into emotion and logic. Because yes, there is the theory and practice, what we want to do, what we have to do. Seems like you get it.

I have seen no argument made that says teaching women to be vigilant will somehow prevent us from having better policies to deal with systemic criminal behavior. The only argument against self defense teaching that I have heard is that it's "victim blaming" which is morally wrong, and the argument is quickly becoming a thought terminating cliche instead of something grounded on rational argumentation and empirical evidence.
    Well true and if women were being taught self defense, right that wouldn't be victim blaming. The problem is I think where it is perceived to be coming from. This is where credibility comes into play who says what.

It might seem irrelevant but it is not, because if there is the luxury to consider how it lands, it makes sense. For example (Hypothetical) teach women self defense, so let's release more rapist earlier because times have changed. The guy advocating that is behind women's self defense courses.

That is why it is important to know what's behind the yes or no, and the pattern and process things take, many people that want to ignore this shit, do so for a reason. Everyone has a bias or blind spot for more than just being a victim of a crime.

This is why people cry about agendas it's because everyone has one, and the fact we talk about truth so much, but are dishonest about our own motives, makes issues like this more difficult.

I am even willing to grant that self defense training is victim blaming and victim blaming is wrong. I don't care. I would rather be evil and save someone's life than be good and let them die or get raped. I am not saying that is a magic bullet solution and that all rapes will stop because of better self defense teaching, but I certainly don't see how it would make the problem worse.
    I would say that a single event or choice is not really evidence of anything unless it can be chained logically with evidence lending proof of a connection. There are some things that are a given, I don't think because I am a MAN I am the enemy, nor is every WOMAN a savior.

This is why identity politics can be stupid and the road it leads towards. Yes there is Reason failing all else to be suspect, but conjecture is just stupidity.

Rapist rape for lots of different reason although usually power, even if that power is they aren't charming, or wealthy enough to pay for the kind of pleasure they want, or in the case of Ted have appetites that can't be reciprocated.

The best way to protect women is the same way to protect men, education, and access to mental health. You are right there is no silver bullet but there is a reason behind why shit happens, that if evaluated reasonably and logically society can improve.

There is always going to be choice, but the better intelligence, the better educated, the more options for mitigating disaster.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis