Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    All the Witcher games.

A lot of people act like they're better than sex, and I do have a massive and I mean MASSIVE amount of respect for CDProjeckt Red as one of the finest game companies in the world who puts customers first and don't do scumbag tactics like pre-order bullshit, day-1 DLC, micro-transaction lootboxes on a single-player game, etc etc. I want to like their so far only IP, and want to support them.

But I played the original first Witcher and couldn't stand neither the plot (Which I found unrelatable) nor its characters (Gerald just acts like a piece of wood on two legs). Tried to get into the sequel, and the exact same thing happened, with a combat I couldn't get into, and a plot that I found horribly boring.

So I haven't tried to get into the third game and I likely wont, as the first two failed to grab me and as part of a trilogy I feel as if I wont really enjoy the story as much if I didn't play the first two games. I'm also annoyed at how the first game treated women like a pokemon collecting mini-game and nobody gave a shit. But then lets have Quiet show some skin in MGS V, and everyone flipped the fuck out. But that's material for another day and another time.
    i'd say go for the Witcher 3 and skip 1&2, 1 was a snoozefest gameplay-wise (plus its pretty dated at this point) and 2... well i only got to flotsam myself so can't say much about it (i totally plan on playing it at some point though, even just rush it on easy for the plot) but TW3 is a great game and you don't need to play earlier installments in the series to know wtf is going on, there's some characters from earlier games you meet but usually they're introduced in a way that explains to you who they are and why are they friends (or enemies) with Geralt

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Legend of Heroes (?) series. Well I've only tried the first game, but 10 hours in and I stopped too many times. Loads of people say it's a great game and I'm normally a fan of any JRPGs I can get my hands on nowadays, but I just don't find it very entertaining. The battle system seems too drawn and out and irritating.

I'm half an hour into Samus Returns, and I can't see myself managing to finish it; I honestly don't know how they managed to fuck up the controls this badly.

Samus handles like a drunk lurching around the place; the slightest press of left or right and she dashes off a cliff.
    I'm expected to hold down the Free Aim and Missiles buttons while moving, jumping and shooting at the same time instead of just toggling the consumables on and off as easily as Super did it (and God forbid you need to parry).
    The parry has already gotten old what with how everything has a burning craving to get inside her from halfway across the map the moment it sees her.
    The nerfed walljump exists purely to restrict you from getting to places the developers don't want you to get to until they deem it acceptable.
    I can't rebind the controls to suit me.
    The whole thing looks worse than Super because of the obsession with 3D graphics.
    Their refusal to use the D-pad means if you don't hit down on the 'stick' perfectly you're going to risk turning Samus around and wasting shots and/or missiles you otherwise would've sent into the enemy you were looking at.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

10+ Year Old Account
    Skyrim, always skyrim.

I guess it would be nice if I liked Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm more, primarily the latter.

I like the characters and universes, and the idea of being various Blizzard characters duking it out is awesome, but I'm just not a major fan of their genres and the idea of fighting other players.

Open-world games too. They feel intimidating to me, the idea that there's all this stuff all around that you can do in almost any order you want. Already got enough of a massive world in WoW, learning a new one sounds like a lot of work. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
    I guess it would be nice if I liked Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm more, primarily the latter.

I like the characters and universes, and the idea of being various Blizzard characters duking it out is awesome, but I'm just not a major fan of their genres and the idea of fighting other players.
    It sounds like you might not be a fan of the MOBA genre in general, but if you ever really wanted to give HotS a try regardless, you could always play vs. AI games instead. When HotS was initially announced, I was likewise thrilled at the idea of playing my favorite Blizzard characters as they fought against each other, but the PVP aspect nearly killed my interest in the game entirely. On a whim, I switched over to playing vs AI instead, and ever since then, playing HotS is some of the most fun I have during my free time, and I now eagerly look foreword to when new characters and maps get added to the game.

Just thought I'd pop in and make the suggestion, since I totally understand the "Bleh, PVP" feeling.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    It sounds like you might not be a fan of the MOBA genre in general, but if you ever really wanted to give HotS a try regardless, you could always play vs. AI games instead. When HotS was initially announced, I was likewise thrilled at the idea of playing my favorite Blizzard characters as they fought against each other, but the PVP aspect nearly killed my interest in the game entirely. On a whim, I switched over to playing vs AI instead, and ever since then, playing HotS is some of the most fun I have during my free time, and I now eagerly look foreword to when new characters and maps get added to the game.

Just thought I'd pop in and make the suggestion, since I totally understand the "Bleh, PVP" feeling.
    Very true and I've tried but then I just feel like it's not the same because somewhere in my head it says, "MOBA? That's something where you play against other people!". If I want to fight a computer then I've got plenty of that elsewhere where it makes more sense to me because there's not really any other choice. :P

So now I just get excited about some of the new characters and move along because I'm lazy I guess. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
    Very true and I've tried but then I just feel like it's not the same because somewhere in my head it says, "MOBA? That's something where you play against other people!". If I want to fight a computer then I've got plenty of that elsewhere where it makes more sense to me because there's not really any other choice. :P

So now I just get excited about some of the new characters and move along because I'm lazy I guess. XD
    I was likewise resistant to the idea of playing against the AI in a PVP-focused game at first, despite the fact that I wasn't haven't fun fighting against other players, but again, once I made the leap and realized how much more fun I was having, and how much more of a relaxed experience it was, I was then kicking myself for not making the switch to vs AI sooner.

But I can understand your desire to focus on actual PVE-based games. Despite the fact that I do enjoy and make time for HotS, most of my free time likewise goes mostly toward games that are actually PVE-focused. Again, just thought I'd toss the suggestion out there, both for you and anyone else in this thread that like the idea and/or characters of MOBAs, but aren't as keen on the PVP aspect. I understand that LoL and some of the other MOBAs also have vs AI options, though I'm not sure how they stack up to the AI in HotS.

League of Legends, DOTA and Heroes of the Storm. Pretty much all mobas.

I actually like playing them, I just hate the snowballing effect these games have. It always ends up in a blame-fest of who cost us our lose while we spend 20-30 mins waiting for us to lose rather than actually trying to fight back.

That and the community itself deters me. Heroes of the storm is much better than the other two, but there's still always that asshole in the game that ruins it for me.

That and the Starcraft series. I love the lore and the game idea on paper. I am just horrible at those games.

ESO.

Tried so hard to like it but so many systems got in the way. It felt like a half step between ESO and MMO and not fully of ether.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalrus2010 View Post
    That and the Starcraft series. I love the lore and the game idea on paper. I am just horrible at those games.
    While I'm tossing out suggestions, I'd highly recommend giving the Co-op Commanders mode of StarCraft 2 a look, if you haven't already. You play with a human partner against computer opponents in a variety of different scenarios. Since it's not against another player, there's slightly less pressure to be an APM machine, and you can even lean on your Co-op partner a bit until you start to get a better feel for them game. And if you like the lore of SC2, than you'll love having the ability to play as the different commanders, who represent some of the more popular characters from the story. If you don't own StarCraft 2, you can even give it a try for free, since the first three commanders (Raynor, Kerrigan, and Artanis) are free with the starter edition of the game.

Once again, I speak from experience. I'd kind of written off StarCraft 2 as something I'd enjoy outside of the campaign, until I finally gave Co-op commanders a try and, once again, it's another thing I look foreword to playing when I get free time.

Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    I was likewise resistant to the idea of playing against the AI in a PVP-focused game at first, despite the fact that I wasn't haven't fun fighting against other players, but again, once I made the leap and realized how much more fun I was having, and how much more of a relaxed experience it was, I was then kicking myself for not making the switch to vs AI sooner.

But I can understand your desire to focus on actual PVE-based games. Despite the fact that I do enjoy and make time for HotS, most of my free time likewise goes mostly toward games that are actually PVE-focused. Again, just thought I'd toss the suggestion out there, both for you and anyone else in this thread that like the idea and/or characters of MOBAs, but aren't as keen on the PVP aspect. I understand that LoL and some of the other MOBAs also have vs AI options, though I'm not sure how they stack up to the AI in HotS.
    All good and worthy of note for sure.

Another aspect to it is how I've heard too often about the toxicity of MOBAs, especially LoL.

LoL also has the upside that some of the stories behind their characters actually sound pretty cool but then comes the laziness again in taking time to actually look up said lore while HotS is far more easy since I've been watching those universes a fair deal over the last decade + a few years. :P

One day I might get bored enough to sit down and fight the AI of HotS, or LoL or otherwise, but for now there's just too many other games that need playing too.
    First world problems! XP

Deleted
    mobas. no matter which I play, I just can't get into them anymore. I guess I'm burned out after playing LoL for a longer while, but that was ages ago.

Deleted
    All my friends play LoL. I would love to play it, but no matter how much i've tried, i just cant get into it

Any Total War game. I really love the concept, the gameplay and the presentation and both the historic and fictional (Warhammer) settings. I just can't like it because I'm literally the worst in the battles, they just don't want to click for me. I so want to enjoy these games, but I just can't seem to git gud at them.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Witcher series: really dislike the combat and just can't get into it. The older series suffered from the lack of a proper open world as well, so I might give 3 a go at some point. Open world, a world that makes sense, etc. I'll still have to get used to the combat system.

Assassins Creed: same as the Witcher, don't like the combat. I like the parcour bits and the open maps, but fighting is a core part of the game.

Metal Gear Solid V: I always heard lots of praise about it. Bought it on Steam and I couldn't stand it at all. Not sure why because I typically like open world games. It's the only game I've ever got refunded on Steam so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Diablo 3. Even as a massive Blizzard fanboy, I keep trying to return to the game, I hear they have added a lot but I just get really bored really quickly which is a shame because I love the series

Undertale: I am getting tired of this indy pixel shit, it's 2017 not 1985. There are good indy games out there but I prfer the ones that have their own unique style not ones that try and be something that was created on the NES. Nothing about Undertale strikes me as interesting and yet, everyone loves the game :P

MOBAS: I have tried LoL, HoN, DoTA2 and HotS... its nott hat I dont like them, I just suck at them :P

Final Fantasy franchise: I like watching people play it, but I cannot get into the games. I had the first Final Fantasy on NES waaaay back and I cannot for the lvoe of god remember it lol. I was always more of a Zelda guy growing up :P

Tekken: The onyl fighting game franchise I never got into growing up. I had frioends that played it, but I never got my head around the fighting styles compared to other games like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibre

GTA: I liked Driver more lol. There, now my post has lost all credibility lol
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-10-25 at 01:26 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Diablo 3. Even as a massive Blizzard fanboy, I keep trying to return to the game, I hear they have added a lot but I just get really bored really quickly which is a shame because I love the series

Undertale: I am getting tired of this indy pixel shit, it's 2017 not 1985. There are good indy games out there but I prfer the ones that have their own unique style not ones that try and be something that was created on the NES. Nothing about Undertale strikes me as interesting and yet, everyone loves the game :P

MOBAS: I have tried LoL, HoN, DoTA2 and HotS... its nott hat I dont like them, I just suck at them :P

Final Fantasy franchise: I like watching people play it, but I cannot get into the games. I had the first Final Fantasy on NES waaaay back and I cannot for the lvoe of god remember it lol. I was always more of a Zelda guy growing up :P

Tekken: The onyl fighting game franchise I never got into growing up. I had frioends that played it, but I never got my head around the fighting styles compared to other games like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibre

GTA: I liked Driver more lol. There, now my post has lost all credibility lol
    Sega and SNES emulators have renderers like 2xSAI for years

Some folks consider Undertale to be overrated, but when comes to other pixel indie games Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is pretty solid.
    Last edited by Luckx; 2017-10-25 at 07:52 PM.

I just personally can't get myself to like anything PvP related. I just don't like the game play paradigm of spawn, kill, die, respawn, kill, die...repeat. Some of the stuff that happens in between can be fun but ultimately it just goes nowhere. And the experience is heavily influenced by how good your teammates are and how good the other guy is...and when the match up is lopsided, it's just not fun when you're on the lower end. I'd rather have a PvE game with story and character development.