Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I think a better compromise would have been it lasting for a shorter duration and a bit more common. Maybe twice an hour for like 2 minutes or something.
    Why is 2 minutes any more acceptable than 5. They may as well freeze the servers for 5 minutes. Anything that renders the game unplayable for an arbitrary amount of time that is too short to force people offline is nothing more than another of their rather transparent BS mechanics to waste player time to increase their "time played" stats.

It's really getting quite out of hand and has already reached the point where increased time played doesn't increase money coming in. Waste enough player time and it's bound to do the opposite but at no point should we "compromise" on even more forced downtime be it travel time, flight points or arbitrary death machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Would it had felt impactfull for 5th time? 10th? 20th?
    I dunno if your in a war and your getting the shit shelled out of you im pretty sure every one is impactful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Camping under a shield until its gone isn't fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    The challenge was you getting the fuck out of the zone before you were too late.

If you were ABOVE the Antoran Wastes, then you had a SMALL chance of making it in time, without dying.
    You and I have very very different ideas of what challenging is... Even if you die you just AFK at your corpse

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    They tunnel vision us to Argus during this time period and so we play on Argue doing World Quests and stuff and then now there's a mechanic that completely prevents you from actually doing that for 5 minutes.

Because it's only 5 minutes, few people will leave the area they'll just wait it out, but most people will also not JUST sit there and do nothing they'll physically leave the game to watch a youtube video, play on their phone, go to the bathroom, etc... So how is a mechanic that actively encourages you to leave the game an immersive mechanic?
    You do notice that using flight master is also, de facto, stopping to play the game? Because you can't do shit while this gryphon flies.

You are probably one of those people who would happily replace all flight masters with portals. It's good you don't design this game.

Another example would be mass crafting, if you ever tried it. Know how long it takes to smelt 1000 demonsteel bars? You can't do anything else while smelting, either. Most people go out of room or alt tab for that time. Such a weird relic from time long gone, right?

But Bob won't go smelt 100 demonsteel bars because Bob has no clue about economy and sees no reason to do it, at the end he can always buy gold for $$$. Bob will go to Argus though, and will get irritated that his precious 30 minutes of doing world quests are interrupted by 5 minutes event, nevermind that he just spent 10 minutes falling down from rock because he can't navigate for shit. And then he will go back on alt tab until lfr queue pops up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Camping under a shield until its gone isn't fun.
    You know what isn't fun? That green lava that block the way in Antoran Wastes and forces me to jump from rock to rock. That isn't fun, it isn't hard either, its just irritating. It makes me lose 80% of my hp and I have to stop to eat or regain hp in some other way. Green lava isn't content, world quests are content, please remove this pointless obstacle that makes my gaming experience unpleasant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because there's nothing more "fun" than walking up to a bubble and afking for 3 minutes...
    /sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    I remember people crying about Felreavers in BC and Blizzard just rolling their eyes and ignoring said idiots.
    Well the Fel Reaver doesn't make you find cover and tab out for 5 minutes while it despawns so... there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    You do notice that using flight master is also, de facto, stopping to play the game? Because you can't do shit while this gryphon flies.
    Flightpaths serve a purpose, you actually move from A to B.
    Beeing forced to AFK in a Shield, does not get you to your destination.

Another example would be mass crafting, if you ever tried it. Know how long it takes to smelt 1000 demonsteel bars? You can't do anything else while smelting, either. Most people go out of room or alt tab for that time. Such a weird relic from time long gone, right?
    Smelting Demonsteels serves also a purpose, you can either craft Something out of them, or sell them.
    Forced to AFK in a ShieldBubble doesnt craft you Stuff.

But Bob won't go smelt 100 demonsteel bars because Bob has no clue about economy and sees no reason to do it, at the end he can always buy gold for $$$. Bob will go to Argus though, and will get irritated that his precious 30 minutes of doing world quests are interrupted by 5 minutes event, nevermind that he just spent 10 minutes falling down from rock because he can't navigate for shit. And then he will go back on alt tab until lfr queue pops up.
    If Bob is to stupid to navigate through rough Terrain, he should stick to Roads, or L2P.
    Also, he´s still forced to AFK and not learn to Navigate the Terrain under a ShieldBubble.

Edit:
    Also, in your Flightpath and smelting example, you can also opt out and Walk, or sell the Ores and Buy the Ingots.
    Last edited by LanToaster; 2017-09-06 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    Flightpaths serve a purpose, you actually move from A to B.
    Beeing forced to AFK in a Shield, does not get you to your destination.

Smelting Demonsteels serves also a purpose, you can either craft Something out of them, or sell them.
    Forced to AFK in a ShieldBubble doesnt craft you Stuff.

AFK in Shield serves a purpose. It allows you to continue WQs or whatever you were doing in Antoran when Paraxis arrived.

... because nobody force you to afk, you now. You can go, right, wherever else. In hundreds of zones and instances the game has to offer you choose this one, and yet waiting 5 minutes angers you. How do you handle queues?
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The best part was coming out of an invasion portal only to be instantly destroyed.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Instead of AFK how about try talking or interacting with the other people also inside the shield? Ask them about their digital kids. I'm sure a leader of an order has multiple wives and 40 kids. Or ask them what they plan on doing on break after finishing world quest. Maybe you can grab a beer on the Vindicaar later.

You are probably one of those people who would happily replace all flight masters with portals. It's good you don't design this game.

You've just added more examples of mechanics within the game that aren't immersive. I don't see how any of it negates what I said. I was simply refuting the idea that a mechanic that encourages you to leave the game is not immersive, I'd argue that it's exactly the opposite.

I'm conflicted on flight paths honestly, but on the whole...yes, I'd replace them with "portals" or an instant travel option. Whether that's an actual portal or a short flight animation as you take off followed by a short flight animation as you land at your destination doesn't really matter. I'm just opposed to mechanics that prevent you from playing the game, when there's no reason to. WoW has portals and instant travel options all over the place for different things...so it wouldn't be a stretch thematically, logistically or aesthetically to implement instant travel. If everyone basically just afk's during the event, what's the point? FFXIV uses teleports and is quite successful. I don't see any reason why a similar system wouldn't be just as successful or well received in WoW.

Crafting is different and makes sense thematically...I still don't like it, but I wouldn't change it aside from maybe having a ramp up crafting speed as you craft more and more so it doesn't literally take you X seconds per Y crafted item.

AFK in Shield serves a purpose. It allows you to continue WQs or whatever you were doing in Antoran when Paraxis arrived.
    Soo, let me get this straight.
    You NEED to AFK in a Shield, in order to do WorldQuests?
    How did you quest around while that thing wasnt around.

A "Purpose" for an activity would be something you gain out of the Activity.
    You dont gain ANYTHING from sitting under the Shield. Except, maybe not dying.

The only real purpose this could have in my Eyes is to slow down your Progress artifically.

... because nobody force you to afk, you now. You can go, right, wherever else. In hundreds of zones and instances the game has to offer you choose this one, and yet waiting 5 minutes angers you. How do you handle queues?
    You know, most people (in my opinion the sane people) play a game when there is something to do what they enjoy.
    So, if I enjoy doing world quests, and making some Progress. If I want to do dungeons I dont run around in Argus, then I´m doing dungeons.

A dasign that forces you to abandon doing your quests, and sitting for 5 minutes just to resume what you were doing before gets old very fast, is a shitty design and needs to be changed.
    If you opt out to "do other stuff" when the ship comes, you spend time you didnt really want to spend with travelling back and forth. Only to come back to and maybe forced to abandon zone again.

Also, queues are an entire different thing. While you sit in your Queue you can do other stuff. Like the mentioned quests.

It felt like there was an actual sense of danger on the homeworld of the Legion, pretty appropriate. I mean I don't feel threatened in the slightest now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    I have witnessed the Paraxus only once, but it was glorious. I got behind the barrier and then I thought "I'm going to test it to see how much damage it does". I literally blew up a half second later. It was hilarious. Why did Blizzard have to nerf something fun? This is only an example of how Blizzard caves to people who can't be bothered by inconveniences.
    Why does everything that Blizzard change have to be the result of some whine? THIS thread is literally the first time I'm even hearing about a "problem".

Its entirely possible that Blizzard would have made the change regardless of whether or not people complained about it.

In the same regard there are plenty of things we ALL take issue with, that don't get changed.

You have no evidence that Blizzard has ever catered to or caved to the "whining" of players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    The idea behind it was that you may get caught fairly far away from a shield, so that you had to find one quickly. Granted, while this is already a zero-risk, zero setback game, you can certainly empathize with folks who believe that being asked to press buttons is traumatic.

If Blizzard was smart, they'd adjust the speed and pathing of the tornado, increase the pathing of the fel reaver, and let those dogs off their leashes, just to sit back and watch the outrage.
    But it's not challenging. Thats the point. If they'd done something like beam down dangerous elites all over that would have been fun - rampaging elites that run around parts of the zone (where quests are) and that need to be taken down or else. THAT is dangerous (have them attack players) and it's something that causes us to band together and play a bit vs AFKing in a cave.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    I haven't seen it. But getting told you'll be 1shot in 5 minutes basically means you have to go afk for 5 minutes until it's passed. that doesn't sound fun at all
    ^^^

might as well just warn you the game is going to disconnect you. same result, your game time is interrupted for no good reason...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    Instead of AFK how about try talking or interacting with the other people also inside the shield? Ask them about their digital kids. I'm sure a leader of an order has multiple wives and 40 kids. Or ask them what they plan on doing on break after finishing world quest. Maybe you can grab a beer on the Vindicaar later.
    You're aware social conversation outside guilds is almost none existent in WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hyphnos View Post
    Why is 2 minutes any more acceptable than 5. They may as well freeze the servers for 5 minutes. Anything that renders the game unplayable for an arbitrary amount of time that is too short to force people offline is nothing more than another of their rather transparent BS mechanics to waste player time to increase their "time played" stats.

It's really getting quite out of hand and has already reached the point where increased time played doesn't increase money coming in. Waste enough player time and it's bound to do the opposite but at no point should we "compromise" on even more forced downtime be it travel time, flight points or arbitrary death machines.
    I enjoy the event and it helps with my immersion on Argus being dangerous. In fact I think it would be even cooler if the warning was even smaller and you had to truly scramble to get to safety. Also anything in this game that can kill you can be argued to be an arbitrary death machine.

Dodging stuff is cool too tho so I'm okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Banard View Post
    Ya....so i took a star trek pad and walk like 2 feet and got blasted. Didnt have a chance to hear/read/see anything. Didn't even know this existed.
    Did you literally just arrive in the zone? Cause I was on board the Vindicaar yesterday and still heard the note. I just chilled, went and vendored and repaired.