Page 1 of 2
LastLast

144hz 2k monitor advice

Okay, so after thinking about this a lot and looking up loads ov videos I decided to go with a 2k 144hz monitor instead of a 4k 60hz one to replace my current 1200p 60hz screen.

My PC:
    Asus Hero6 mobo, i7 6700 cpu, 32gb ddr4 with a gtx1080.

I don't really play lots (or any?) of tripple A games (mostly older titles or new indie games) but do some photo editing so real estate is a plus.

Can someone give me a recommendation for a good minor that has the following:

- 144hz
    - Bigger than 27" (which is what I currently have and it is starting to feel small again)
    - Gaming orientated (so I guess I would prefer a IPS panel?)

If it already exists (not sure), it would be nice to have HDR I guess...

Back when I was looking at 4K, I had this in mind:
    https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator...tmonitors04-20
    Last edited by Planetdune; 2017-09-08 at 01:00 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    - 144hz
    - Bigger than 27" (which is what I currently have and it is starting to feel small again)
    - Gaming orientated (so I guess I would prefer a IPS panel?)
    Do you care about gsync/freesync?

2K is not a resolution. If it were, it would be 1920x1080 (since the "4" in 4K is the 3840 part of the 3840x2160)

Are you referring to 2560x1440?

(there's a reason most PC users use the vertical resultion - 1080p, 1440p, or 2160p; its way easier to know what you're talking about).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    2K is not a resolution. If it were, it would be 1920x1080 (since the "4" in 4K is the 3840 part of the 3840x2160)

(there's a reason most PC users use the vertical resultion - 1080p, 1440p, or 2160p; its way easier to know what you're talking about).
    Let's not start with this resolution Nazism bullshit derailing shall we? Happens every time here.

In case some are trying to play dumb here, he is clearly talking about 1440p, with that aside, OP what is the budget?

Really sky is the limit with these things and you can have easy couple hundreds of $$ difference between 2 monitors that match your basic requirement.

I, personally, am using Asus PG279Q which is 165Hz Gsync 27inch IPS 1440p monitor with all the bells and whistles and I like it, except for IPS backlight bleed which is simply IPS thing and not really noticeable unless you are actively looking for it. The cost - about ~750-800 bucks +/- depending on store/location.

Just by removing one of the abbreviations there you can save 100+ bucks and more. For example if you choose to go with TN instead for that monitor - it's already about 150 bucks off. Choose someone other than Asus? May save another 100 bucks right there and so on and so forth.

Then of course whether you want sync technology or not, I, personally, suggest to take it because really monitors and GPUs is not something you change every two weeks, so better make sure to benefit from that instead of regretting later, but this will cost you ~100-150 bucks there.

Anyway, plenty of fish in the ocean, just set the budget. Expect to shell out ~$350 minimum for barebones configuration from decent manufacturer.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2017-09-09 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Let's not start with this resolution Nazism bullshit derailing shall we? Happens every time here.
    How about... no?

If you ask for something that doesnt fucking exist, people aren't going to know what the fuck you're talking about.

So..

how about we not start with the promoting ignorance?

15+ Year Old Account
    How about... no?

If you ask for something that doesnt fucking exist, people aren't going to know what the fuck you're talking about.

So..

Its not that uncommon for 1440p to be refereed to as 2k so how about not being a fucking dick about it, its not like he just pulled the term out of his ass like you have been with your comments on in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account

Calling 3840x2160 only "4K" is wrong too. That's 4K UHD or just UHD. 4K by itself would be DCI 4K which is 4096x2160 (literally why it's called 4K).

Same apply to 2K, it is a resolution. 2048x1080 and not 1920x1080, widely used in cinema even.

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    Its not that uncommon for 1440p to be refereed to as 2k so how about not being a fucking dick about it, its not like he just pulled the term out of his ass like you have been with your comments on in this thread.
    I understand that sometimes it might be irritating and feel like we're here just to be dicks whenever possible, but that's not really the point. It's simply always better to educate people into using the technically correct terms instead of letting them invent new terms whenever they want to talk about something for obvious reasons.

In this case perhaps you can easily identify the guy is after a QHD monitor, since it would be very odd and rare for him to be going an actual 2K monitor, but that's not really always the case. When everyone is on the same page and using the right terms, there's no way for misunderstandings to exist in the conversation, when they're using different terms, there is.

To make things simple, you can always just right the entire resolution whenever you don't know how to call them.

Or you could learn how to call them which also isn't exactly that hard.

Popular 16:9 consumer resolutions:

HD - 1280x720
    FHD - 1920x1080
    QHD - 2560x1440
    UHD - 3840x2160

You can also just call say 720p, 1080p, 1440p and 2160p respectively and people will understand what you meant.

Names that are usually used wrongly:

2K (DCI 2K) - 2048x1080
    4K (DCI 4K) - 4096x2160

Note that both of them are ~19:10 resolutions instead of 16:9 which is what consumers generally buy.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2017-09-09 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    do you ever tire of being wrong?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_resolution

Guess what isn't "2k"?

2560x1440.

Sorry not sorry for not wanting to promote people using incorrect terms to describe something, when a real, industry standard term for said thing exists.

If that's "being a dick" to you, then you can politely fuck off and eat a big one.

Or better yet, ill add you to the pile of people on this forum i have on ignore because they offer nothing of value to a conversation.

Enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    And not even one answered op's question... nice job guys, you all so smart and most importantly nice and helpful people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    And not even one answered op's question... nice job guys, you all so smart and most importantly nice and helpful people.
    Because it's not clear what OP wants and he didn't even bothered to respond with clarification.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Because it's not clear what OP wants and he didn't even bothered to respond with clarification.
    It is clear what the OP wants, unless you missed something. And the poster you quoted seemingly cannot read because their question WAS answered by the 3rd post

15+ Year Old Account

sigh, you know what hes talking about and so does everyone else. By your definition 4k is wrong as well. Lets move on from this shit shall we and help the OP out....I think thats what the whole point is here.

OP, Freesync or Gsync ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    It is clear what the OP wants, unless you missed something. And the poster you quoted seemingly cannot read because their question WAS answered by the 3rd post
    Yes it was answered by me, everyone else just keeps this whole fringe bullshit going.

Feel free to contribute, instead of piling on bullshit.

How about... no?

So..

2560 x 1440 is WIDELY considered 2k, while it may not be technically correct its still the term even monitor companies use so its still a valid reference point. Its used enough that MANY of us knew what resolution he was looking for the moment we read it.
    Last edited by Moozart; 2017-09-09 at 12:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    2560 x 1440 is WIDELY considered 2k, while it may not be technically correct its still the term even monitor companies use so its still a valid reference point. Its used enough that MANY of us knew what resolution he was looking for the moment we read it.
    I've never seen 1440p referred to as 2K on any tech or gaming site.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    this was just the first link I found after about a 15 second google search. I am sure you can find the rest all by yourself

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16824009996

Newegg has an ENTIRE section of its monitors dedicated to 2k 2560 x 1440
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...694&isNodeId=1

Also nearly every 1440p monitor best Buy sales is listed as "2k Quad HD"

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...560%20x%201440
    Last edited by Moozart; 2017-09-10 at 01:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    this was just the first link I found after about a 15 second google search. I am sure you can find the rest all by yourself

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16824009996

Newegg has an ENTIRE section of its monitors dedicated to 2k 2560 x 1440
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...694&isNodeId=1

Also nearly every 1440p monitor best Buy sales is listed as "2k Quad HD"

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...560%20x%201440

E-retailer ≠ tech site nor gaming site

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    E-retailer ≠ tech site nor gaming site
    My point was the same as above, your average consumers know 1440 as 2k, its even what the retailers consider it. All I said was widely considered (Widley enough the largest online electronics store has a section for it) What its really is doesn't matter to them, only to the nerds. To some people cola and pop will always mean Pepsi no matter what.
    Last edited by Moozart; 2017-09-10 at 01:46 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    To some people cola and pop will always mean Pepsi no matter what.
    No...Coke damnit!

Coke

Coke

Coke!

I guess since the OP immediately got hammered by the grammar police when he asked a simple question, he most likely wont be back. Another thread derailed with negativity. There is a few that just cant help themselves from being asses.

OP, we aren't all asses, I'm only a ass to the asses.

Did I say that correctly?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Holy smokes guys! Did we just take the forum rules book and throw it out the window?! The swearing, name-calling, flaming, and trolling present in this thread is EXACTLY WHY so many people on other tech forums view the mmo-champion forums and especially computer forums with such disdain! Look at this! It's immature to an incredible degree. I thought we were here to help people... Instead of jumping down the OP's throat about 2k, and then the person after that, and nearly everyone in this thread, we could have calmly asked, hey, by 2k, do you mean 1920x1080 or 2560x1440? Bringing up all the previous drama immediately is going to turn the OP off of this forum.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water