Poll: Do you plan to buy an EV in the next 5 years?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Electric cars are terrible for the environment, look at how much damage the mining for the batteries causes

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Electric cars are terrible for the environment, look at how much damage the mining for the batteries causes
    Anytime someone says this, I just like to imagine a typical open ground mine where they just find whole 9v batteries and such. On the other side of the mountain is the 12v car battery mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its still tiny and hideous, and useless if you want to drive more than 2 hours at a time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    hatchbacks r ugly as hell
    *Gasp!* You take that back!

- - - Updated - - -

This car suffers from the same mistake as many other EV's. It doesn't really blend in with the rest of the cars on the road. I don't believe the majority wants a car that looks too futuristic. Sleeky, simple, and practical is what sells. This is why Tesla does so well. Their cars don't look like they are "trying too hard".
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Why are electric cars, with the exception of Tesla's & the BMW i8, so god damn ugly. The BMW i8 super car is ~$150,000 and the Teslas are 80k+ (besides the new model 3).

Why not make an attractive car people will actually want to buy?

10+ Year Old Account
    It'll be another 10-20 years before cheaper, better and lighter batteries will be developed. Some tech seems to be very promising but as it stands right now, fully electric cars just aren't practical for general use. Sure, some people live lives where it's perfect for them, but the majority doesn't.

The neatest idea I've seen so far is where the roads themselves become the charger, eliminating the need for large capacity batteries all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    Thanks for your expert, and I'm sure well researched, opinion. It will be highly valued here. Now I can avoid all those new scam technologies that are coming to market. Thanks.
    No problem I'm glad i was of help. If you need anything just hit me up

I would classify those cars as "Bitch cars" and I would never drive one.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    But it looks boring though, like something a typical middle class mom would drive.

I prefer my Tesla model S anyday.
    Of course you would, and I would also prefer an A8 over a Chevy Impala. They are not even close to the same class.

I do not see myself getting an electric car in the next 5 years, but not for the reasons listed above. They simply do not suit my needs. I take a trip from Aurora, Colorado to La Veta (around 180 miles) roughly every other weekend to assist my father in law, I do not stay the night so 360 miles with only around 6 hours in between. I also make a large number of other, substantially longer, road trips quite regularly, recently to visit my brother in Salem, Oregon. Obviously that was a two day trip each way, but it still would not be feasible with current electric vehicles and the infrastructure we have in this country. If I assume that car gets 200 miles per charge, and there is a high speed charging station right at every 160 miles (story claims it can do an 80% charge in 40 minutes) that would mean needing to stop 8 times to charge up, two of those can be taken out for meal stops, and one for night, that still means 5 extra 40 minute stops each way. That adds 3 hours and 20 minutes each direction, compared to filling up the tank 3-4 times at 5 minutes each.

I am glad the tech is growing and some day I will probably get one, but they still need to improve a lot and there are just to many stretches in this country where you can drive for hours and only pass through very small towns that wouldn't be likely to have the fast charging stations for it to be practical here.

Umm no. Tesla 3 is a better buy. Only a few thousand more which can be negotiated down, better mileage. Oh, and doesn't lol like a box of dicks on wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Don't have any need for an electric vehicle and I most certainly won't own a Nissan any time soon. Or ever.
    The future belongs not to those who wait...

Boring.

/10char

Keep it.

I can afford much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    A "man's vehicle". My husband, who's as manly as they get, drives my Chevy Spark from time to time. His car is a Kia Optima hybrid, lol.

Maybe you're questioning your manhood too much and have to compensate with cars?
    *YAWN* the predictable response. That's the only insult anyone has for people with better vehicles than they have "Your dick is small" By your logic, every CEO/high payed athlete/doctor/lawyer or anyone with a good job and likes cars has a micro penis. At least try for an original insult?

If you want to throw out insults, and make assumptions about people who don't want to drive a garbage car, lets make assumptions about you. You are a military wife with 28,353 posts, so I assume you compensate for the fact that you are too fat to go out and do anything by posting all day on MMO Champion. I served in the army. In that entire time, I saw MAYBE two attractive wives, maybe 4-5 "ok" wives and too many hideous to count ones. And I mean hideous, like 250+ LBS, mustache, the whole deal. I will also assume from your cars he is not a very high rank and that is all you can afford, going paycheck to paycheck.

In my mind, if you are going to spend a fair amount of time in a car, it may as well be nice looking, comfortable, and quick. I don't care what clothes you wear or where you live, but I DO care about you fools in hybrids because without fail, you drive at a snails pace (often in the fast lane) and slow ME down. A Prius takes 10 seconds to get from 0-60, which is a laughable figure... well it would be funny if you aren't caught behind the asshole.

Your car is also a representation of you. If you drive a rusting POS car with tons of trash in the foot wells, that says something about you. I think a Prius says something as well, I am sure you can guess what I think. My Jaguar says: 1) I enjoy driving and like speed and power 2) I have a decent income 3) I care about my appearance. I get non stop compliments on my car. I take pride in my vehicle, and I get where I want to go fast, enjoying the drive. For the people who want to consider a car just a tool, that's fine for you, but stay in the damn right lane.

Lastly, I can understand if someone doesn't have a ton to spend on cars, but as I said in my first post, you have options besides a battery power shoe box on wheels. I had to rent a Camry SE on a business trip, that wasn't a bad car at all, it actually moves a little when I put my foot down. Its faster, better looking and cheaper than a Leaf is.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    LOL at people caring about how a vehicle looks.

Do you feel the same way about your hammers or plungers?

It's a fucking tool.
    Bit of a car nerd so yeah I do like pretty looking cars. Love me some Formula racing cars or Muscle ones when it comes to looks. And mostly Italian stuff.

Prettiest car for me though would have to be the Ferrari 250GT California Spyder. Close 2nd would be the Jaguar E-Type.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    For $30 I'd rather throw another $5k at the Tesla Model 3. And yea, it's ugly and actually has an engine in the engine bay, unlike the Tesla Model 3.

Tesla with decent features is much closer to 50K.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    No problem I'm glad i was of help. If you need anything just hit me up
    There are leaders in life and followers. Everyone thinks they're a leader. Even the guy with the beamer.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    If you want to throw out insults, and make assumptions about people who don't want to drive a garbage car, lets make assumptions about you. You are a military wife with 28,353 posts, so I assume you compensate for the fact that you are too fat to go out and do anything by posting all day on MMO Champion. I served in the army. In that entire time, I saw MAYBE two attractive wives, maybe 4-5 "ok" wives and too many hideous to count ones. And I mean hideous, like 250+ LBS, mustache, the whole deal. I will also assume from your cars he is not a very high rank and that is all you can afford, going paycheck to paycheck.
    Ah yes, the dependa/dependapotamus. I wasn't US military and even I've heard the term. That being said, I wouldn't call Winter Blossom that since I don't know whether she is one or not, and it'd be a rude thing to say to a military spouse who didn't deserve it.

As for the cars, I don't care what others like, I generally don't think badly of anyone for choosing what I wouldn't choose. That being said, I do have a strong preference to muscle cars, like Challengers. And I also like the new Chargers too. I like Dodge's lines. Their engines might not be amazing in the baseline models, but the bodies are great.

To be honest, I see more passive-aggressive "small dick" comments from folks than I do folks who like muscle cars/trucks/etc making fun of electric cars and the like.

Deleted
    It's ugly, it's a Nissan, and it's electric.

No thank you.