Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Was a certain faction of the GOP responsible for school bullying in the 80s?

In the 50s people like Buzz Aldrin and John Glenn played sports and enjoyed Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon.

In the 1980s however it would be unthinkable for High School students like them to enjoy those stories.

Did a certain faction that was gaining power and influence in the GOP declare it unAmerican for the mainstream to enjoy "geek" stuff?

Did they say only misfits and worshipers of a certain deity that shall be unnamed here enjoy "geek" stuff?

Were they responsible for the horrible school bullying against people considered "nerds" because they declared DnD players evil?

Or was it the capitalists? People would rather become millionaires, actors, and athletes rather than soldiers, scientists, and astronauts?

Yeh, nerds were only picked on in the 80s.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

7+ Year Old Account
    Your threads were 'better' when they were about cheerleaders.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    In the 50s people like Buzz Aldrin and John Glenn played sports and enjoyed Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon.

In the 1980s however it would be unthinkable for High School students like them to enjoy those stories.

Did a certain faction that was gaining power and influence in the GOP declare it unAmerican for the mainstream to enjoy "geek" stuff?

Did they say only misfits and worshipers of a certain deity that shall be unnamed here enjoy "geek" stuff?

Were they responsible for the horrible school bullying against people considered "nerds" because they declared DnD players evil?

Or was it the capitalists? People would rather become millionaires, actors, and athletes rather than soldiers, scientists, and astronauts?
    If it were only "a certain faction".
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Uh. No. I lived through the 80s, and... no. Trying to tie religious influence (while weaseling past forum rules by trying not to mention religion) to the bullying of nerds is just dumb. Kids are horrible rotten shits and don't need specific guidance to alienate people that don't conform.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    Uh. No. I lived through the 80s, and... no. Trying to tie religious influence (while weaseling past forum rules by trying not to mention religion) to the bullying of nerds is just dumb. Kids are horrible rotten shits and don't need specific guidance to alienate people that don't conform.
    They don't "need", but certainly hyper-religious conservative baby boomer parents can go a long way to making them worse.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    They don't "need", but certainly hyper-religious conservative baby boomer parents can go a long way to making them worse.
    Aren't you a Singaporean, how do you know what 80's America parents were like?

10+ Year Old Account
    Preppies from the valley were the worst. I heard they made a documentary about them bullying kids with karate and dirt bikes.

your out of touch with reality if you think it only happened in the 80s.

Here's something amusing: I was reading the original Spider-Man comics from the 1960s on Marvel Unlimited and they publish the letters pages in some of them. Fascinating reading. One that stuck in my mind was a fan writing in to say that the way Peter Parker is picked on in high school because he's a nerd is unrealistic because while that used to be the way things were, the author's personal experience was that geeky kids are now respected in school.

In the 1960s. So I wonder if this has actually always been a perception thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Here's something amusing: I was reading the original Spider-Man comics from the 1960s on Marvel Unlimited and they publish the letters pages in some of them. Fascinating reading. One that stuck in my mind was a fan writing in to say that the way Peter Parker is picked on in high school because he's a nerd is unrealistic because while that used to be the way things were, the author's personal experience was that geeky kids are now respected in school.

In the 1960s. So I wonder if this has actually always been a perception thing.
    It depends on the area.

Areas with anti-intellectualism leanings(basically conservative counties) would obviously have schools with anti-intellectual culture.

Parental upbringing is a huge factor, and children brought up on how education and smart people are evil would naturally pick on "nerds".

It depends on the area.

Areas with anti-intellectualism leanings(basically conservative counties) would obviously have schools with anti-intellectual culture.

Parental upbringing is a huge factor, and children brought up on how education and smart people are evil would naturally pick on "nerds".
    Inner-city schools in areas like Chicago and Detroit are famous for their intellectualism. Politics doesn't relate to everything and if you seriously believe that parents in conservative areas believe education and smart people are evil, you simply have never spent time in any place like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Inner-city schools in areas like Chicago and Detroit are famous for their intellectualism. Politics doesn't relate to everything and if you seriously believe that parents in conservative areas believe education and smart people are evil, you simply have never spent time in any place like that.
    I'm sorry, but you're the one detached from reality.

Anti-intellectualism is everywhere, mostly because it stems from "You didn't see that, if you snitch you're dead," which also exists everywhere.

It only doesn't exist where you list it because where you list it, it actually exists more effectively and therefore you don't see it at all.

If you see the shit, you're playing with the losers. If you don't see it, you're the loser. When you start dealing with Actions Per Second, Hypnotism, and the realization that an entire extra set of people living faster than we are moving around us as our lords, ladies, and veritable gods, you'll realize this.

To put it another way, when your commanding a drugged and sleepwalking slave with bags under their eyes to do things, and most especially to not look at you and say "you're alone there's no one else here" to him or her, and then make him or her do all sorts of stuff, then tell them that stuff never happened and they get to wake up later with an alternate life story (like you had them mow your lawn but you told them they really spent and evening watching a movie and you just play them fragments of that movie at 50 times the speed off a pirated copy) and then you send them on their way, probably also after you've had them give you fellatio, it takes a higher level of understanding to realize that the person who's a permanently sleep deprived slave probably sees himself or herself as a perfectly normal and healthy person who has had "enough sleep" and doesn't even see the bags under their own eyes and is just living a normal life with a normal wage job and doesn't know why they're tired all the time but "Everyone is so it's okay" and they wouldn't even be allowed to see their own tattoos on their foreheads because you've hypnotized them to never see those either, that perhaps, just maybe, the same exact thing is being done to you too...

but you'd never know that. You'd even doubt and deny it. Of course nobody is handling your ass. Not you. Nope. Hypnotism isn't real, even with drugs and relative centuries of time dilated torture heaped upon you by a cult of experts. You're a special person who can't be affected by that, yes, and reality is a real thing like a scientific fact, yes, and you know this, you know reality isn't just a massive shared hallucination, it has to be real somehow and not possible to manipulate, you certainly can't get brain-fucked and manipulated, nope.

10+ Year Old Account
    what happened to your cheerleader threads?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    I'm sorry, but you're the one detached from reality.

Anti-intellectualism is everywhere, mostly because it stems from "You didn't see that, if you snitch you're dead," which also exists everywhere.

It only doesn't exist where you list it because where you list it, it actually exists more effectively and therefore you don't see it at all.

If you see the shit, you're playing with the losers. If you don't see it, you're the loser. When you start dealing with Actions Per Second, Hypnotism, and the realization that an entire extra set of people living faster than we are moving around us as our lords, ladies, and veritable gods, you'll realize this.

To put it another way, when your commanding a drugged and sleepwalking slave with bags under their eyes to do things, and most especially to not look at you and say "you're alone there's no one else here" to him or her, and then make him or her do all sorts of stuff, then tell them that stuff never happened and they get to wake up later with an alternate life story (like you had them mow your lawn but you told them they really spent and evening watching a movie and you just play them fragments of that movie at 50 times the speed off a pirated copy) and then you send them on their way, probably also after you've had them give you fellatio, it takes a higher level of understanding to realize that the person who's a permanently sleep deprived slave probably sees himself or herself as a perfectly normal and healthy person who has had "enough sleep" and doesn't even see the bags under their own eyes and is just living a normal life with a normal wage job and doesn't know why they're tired all the time but "Everyone is so it's okay" and they wouldn't even be allowed to see their own tattoos on their foreheads because you've hypnotized them to never see those either, that perhaps, just maybe, the same exact thing is being done to you too...

but you'd never know that. You'd even doubt and deny it. Of course nobody is handling your ass. Not you. Nope. Hypnotism isn't real, even with drugs and relative centuries of time dilated torture heaped upon you by a cult of experts. You're a special person who can't be affected by that, yes, and reality is a real thing like a scientific fact, yes, and you know this, you know reality isn't just a massive shared hallucination, it has to be real somehow and not possible to manipulate, you certainly can't get brain-fucked and manipulated, nope.
    Is this a copypasta?

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Preppies from the valley were the worst. I heard they made a documentary about them bullying kids with karate and dirt bikes.

The small kid from Jersey started all of it. If somebody turned a hose on me while I was in the bathroom I'd kick his ass too. Don't ignore the car accident he causes running into the streets too.

- - - Updated - - -

Threads like this might be responsible for some bullying.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah baby boomers started running the country and getting on, it was just more of a shift in who could be what when, and a certain segment of the population coming into their own who believed in setting their own terms it is was also referred to as the "ME ME ME Generation" for a reason. Trum ironically was very popular around this time for being that symbol of being clever and successful rather than intelligent and of substances.

Nah, "They" never really had that kind of control, they had an influence and much of what you see today, but that took some time.

Yes eventually but not in the 80's you have to give their kids and those growing up being influenced time, they arrived right around the mid 90's ish.

Or was it the capitalists?
    Nah it was, it was a social thing, where people were, vs where they wanted to be, I don't think it was altogether thought out or sinister, it was just viewed with less understanding of consequences.

People would rather become millionaires, actors, and athletes rather than soldiers, scientists, and astronauts?
    Nah that was American exceptionalism paired with unmitigated greed, going completely unchecked. If you want to see the Pattern go back 30 not 20 years, the reason is between it's famous that history repeats itself in this time, the truth is, it's more of a reflection of the mistakes, of the previous generations.

History does repeat itself, but some things do progress and improve, most stay the same.

If you look at the period of around 84- 87 you will find a lot that mirrors today's society right now.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Maybe it was more acceptable because the people that liked "geeky" stuff in the 1950's were still looking fashionable, very social and participated in sports where te typical 1980's and beyond D7D "nerd" looked like someone that would ruin your social status if you got involved with them?

As a geek kid who grew up in the 80s this is the most fucking retarded thing I have read today.

I think all politicians are bullies. Even Bernie.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================