Poll: Was this assault?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Was this assault?

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/09/06...over-ttc-rider

The TTC says police are investigating an incident captured on cellphone video where a man is seen dumping a large mop bucket onto a woman on the platform at Lawrence East Station Tuesday night.

In the video, a man and a woman are involved in some sort of dispute in the presence of at least one man wearing a TTC uniform.

The woman splashes a small amount of water at the man who responds by picking up a large blue mop bucket and dousing the woman in water.

He then flees the platform and heads down a flight of stairs.

TTC spokesperson Brad Ross said the incident was reported to police at about 11:45 p.m. on Tuesday.

Police arrived at the scene a short time later and interviewed the victim as well as several witnesses, Ross said.

A video clip of the incident was posted to Instagram on Wednesday.

The incident surfaced on the same day the TTC launched a smartphone app meant to allow users to anonymously report crime and harassment.
    http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/caught-on-...ider-1.3578035

“It looks like an assault,” said TTC spokesman Brad Ross. “It’s terrible. It is being investigated.”

This video has gone viral as it shows a quite shocking incident. Do you agree with the spokesman that it was assault and if so, what should be the sentence?
    Last edited by Tennis; 2017-09-07 at 03:25 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    he clearly hits her with the bin ya t was assault.

Don't want none dont start none. She shouldnt have splashed the dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Put them both in time-out.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Don't want none dont start none. She shouldnt have splashed the dude.
    but but society says its ok when a woman pours a drink on a guy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lol, but why?

Was in my related. Perfect.

No, he responded to her 'assault'

I'm not a judge or a lawyer so I'm not sure about the legality of actions, but philosophically, she was definitely the aggressor, aggression being defined as initiating or threatening the use of any and all forcible interference with an individual or individual's property.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither was assault.
    Battery sure, but there were no threats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    legally yes, that is assault.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Neither was assault.
    Battery sure, but there were no threats.
    depends on the state some states it's assault others it's battery. He intentionally caused physical harm to her.

She started it he just splashed more water than her

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I'm not a judge or a lawyer so I'm not sure about the legality of actions, but philosophically, she was definitely the aggressor, aggression being defined as initiating or threatening the use of any and all forcible interference with an individual or individual's property.
    yeah but there is also a legal concept call proportionate response and excessive use of force. you can argue a response to being splashed with water was justified, but it's kinda hard to argue hitting someone in the face with a plastic bin is proportionate.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    yeah but there is also a legal concept call proportionate response and excessive use of force. you can argue a response to being splashed with water was justified, but it's kinda hard to argue hitting someone in the face with a plastic bin is proportionate.
    By the video he clearly intended to dump the water on her and it happened to bump her head - you make it sound like he was beating her with the thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    By the video he clearly intended to dump the water on her and it happened to bump her head - you make it sound like he was beating her with the thing.
    that is likely true but the law doesn't really look too kindly on "i was only trying to..." stories when your intentional actions accidentally get out of hand. if that woman presses charges or some DA is in the mood for it, that dude is toast, the only thing he has going for him is that there doesn't seem to be any injury done, which means he has a decent shot of pleading an assault charge down to some misdemeanor.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2017-09-07 at 04:38 AM.

you can get into pointless confrotations with random people in public, or simply ignore them and go along with you life.

15+ Year Old Account
    Had he not hit her with the bucket of mop water too I would have said no assault. He did hit her with it though so I say its assault. BTW in case you weren't aware, spitting on someone is assault to here in the US.

Deleted
    No, close this thread.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    legally yes, that is assault.

- - - Updated - - -

depends on the state some states it's assault others it's battery. He intentionally caused physical harm to her.
    This was Canada so no threat is needed for it to be assault, hitting her made it assault but it would have also have been assault if he ha picked it up and threatens to hit her and the court deemed it was a legit threat. Unless something had changed in the last few years since I did some law studying that is.