Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Italy's top court acquits homeless man who snuck into house to sleep

Italy's top court has ruled that a homeless man should not be punished for spending the night in a private residence.

An appeals court in Brescia, northern Italy, had sentenced the man to three months and ten days in jail after he allegedly snuck into a private home in a Lombard town.

The man had entered a house in Desenzano del Garda on the shores of Lake Garda in late November the previous year.

Initially, he had been accused of burglary, however the charge was downgraded to trespassing (violazione di domicilio) by the appeals court in 2015.

But in the ruling published on Thursday, supreme court judges quashed the ruling, saying the man should not be punished due to his "particular circumstances of poverty and exclusion".

https://www.thelocal.it/20170908/ita...ivate-property

How ridiculous! Do people not have a right to control who gets to be on their property any longer if the offender is poor?!

Deleted
    I've been to Italy this summer for 2 weeks. Never seen so many poor and homeless people walking/lying around in cities. Even worse than Paris

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't blame to poor guy, but I think that some sort of soft punishment should not be ignored, he did trespass after all.

A hefty fine seems appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneman View Post
    Italy's top court has ruled that a homeless man should not be punished for spending the night in a private residence.

An appeals court in Brescia, northern Italy, had sentenced the man to three months and ten days in jail after he allegedly snuck into a private home in a Lombard town.

The man had entered a house in Desenzano del Garda on the shores of Lake Garda in late November the previous year.

Initially, he had been accused of burglary, however the charge was downgraded to trespassing (violazione di domicilio) by the appeals court in 2015.

But in the ruling published on Thursday, supreme court judges quashed the ruling, saying the man should not be punished due to his "particular circumstances of poverty and exclusion".

How ridiculous! Do people not have a right to control who gets to be on their property any longer if the offender is poor?!
    I hope a homeless guy breaks in their homes and sleeps in their beds. He was only acquitted because they don't want to pay to give him a warm bed and a hot meal

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I hope a homeless guy breaks in their homes and sleeps in their beds. He was only acquitted because they don't want to pay to give him a warm bed and a hot meal
    Probably true. Damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If you jail him, then you have to pay his upkeep, if you let him go, then people start asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidz View Post
    how do you suppose a poor, homeless, jobless man will end up paying this hefty fine? cant tell if serious.

So it's one homeless guy, he invites a friend. Suddenly you have a dozen homeless crashing there, hypodermic needles everywhere, plugged up toilet running over, someone rips the copper wiring out of the wall to sell it.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I've been to Italy this summer for 2 weeks. Never seen so many poor and homeless people walking/lying around in cities. Even worse than Paris
    You've obviously never been to New York.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Huh, guess there's no point paying for a hotel if I ever go to Italy.

So instead of having a home for almost four months they send him back to the street. Clever!

10+ Year Old Account
    For a homeless guy?

If i where homeless i would love to be in prison, a place to sleep and food, tv and videogames to if your lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    If i where homeless i would love to be in prison, a place to sleep and food.
    Not all homeless people are homeless due to not having a home.

He's dead now (Irony from hypothermia) but back in my college town there was a homeless guy on the streets for a few years, now in that country its quiet rare to see someone homeless so the council stepped in, put him in council housing rent free until he sorted himself out, furnished the place the whole works. When he died they went in to clean up his stuff. He hadn't used the house at all to sleep in, he put some stuff in the landing as storage and that was it. It turned out the guy was massively claustrophobic, even the house induced him into panic attacks and anxiety, thus the reason he was homeless in the first place. Apparently it just came out of no where one day so he just upped and left his life behind sleeping in fields, river sides etc.

Anyways, on topic I'd like to know more of the situation the guy was in, did he just go fuck it tonight I want a roof over my head? or was it a horrendous storm which just wasn't safe to be in?

If the first, by all means throw him do a punishment, although anything short of prison Idk how you'd enforce it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Isn't this the case across all major European cities?

EDIT: Sorry I missread your post thought you were saying there was an increase in homelessness in Italy; my bad.

Also : Article states that he "snuck" in not "broke" in which implies the property wasn't secured. I'm not suggseting that makes it "less of a crime" to the more judicious; but it might have mitigated the circumstances a little.
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2017-09-08 at 03:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Well if he didnt steal anything or break there property, i mean thats why we distinguish manslaughter from murder, the intent matters alot in their court i would assume.

15+ Year Old Account
    Did u think before making this comment or, cause i cant tell if ur serious or not.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    You've obviously never been to New York.
    I live in NYC, and I've seen far more beggars and hobos on the streets in Venice and Milan than I do in NYC. My close friend has a wife in Paris, and he says its even worse there.

Granted, I haven't been to Bronx or Brooklyn projects, but Manhattan downtown through 150th looks fine, and so does Queens / Downtown Brooklyn.

So the legal precedent is anyone can sleep anywhere if they are short on money? Cool. Hope the homeless guy at least washed the sheets and fixed the bed after.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2017-09-08 at 10:10 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneman View Post

Rejoice! All the terrorists have been caught.