Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    No its Halo Reach and Diablo 3 smashed together. You can team up and fight with a created character and a levelled party build in pokemon, pokemon isnt an mmorpg either.
    But Pokemon is an RPG. If you had some kind of Pokemon MMO, you'd have a Pokemon MMORPG.

There should be a rule...

It's not an MMO without a persistent world. If everything is an instance it's not an MMO. Zone lines are fine. But if the "city" functions as a "lobby" it's not a goddamn mmo. It's a pathetic half ass attempt.

I used to classify it was an MMO, but it isn't. It's simply an online game, nothing "massive" about it. You do run into players out in the world, but no more than 5 at a time.

But Destiny does mirror actual MMOs in gameplay/mechanics. Which is why this is even a discussion. It's just missing the "massive" part.

I personally think Destiny is semi-MMO-ish, but as I define a full fledged MMO, it is not that for me.

MMOFPS with RPG features. But Bungie can really make it a REAL MMO like how Overwatch should have been.

It's a MMOFPS, so yes it is a MMO but not a MMORPG like ESO for example or a MMOARPG like D3 or WoW.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    It's less about genre and more about how folks interpret the "MM" in "MMO". Planetside is an MMOFPS since it has a vast open world with tons of players which persists throughout regardless of your participation whereas Destiny and Warframe instance their missions beyond the central hub in to parties which is the hang up because then it essentially functions as any other co-op multiplayer game which is why Warframe and Destiny (since it's marketed as co-op) are COFPSs.
    Explained it better than I could have.

I really do not understand how this is even a discussion.
    Destiny 2 is:
    -max 16 players coop (even the game description says it)
    -lobby based
    -no persistent world

If Destiny would be classified as a MMO then Half Life, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Battlefield, ARMA, The Division and basically every existing shooter with at least 16 players would be massively multiplayer online. Kinda sounds stupid, right?
    Back in the days massive meant hundrets of players at once.

I kinda feel people label it MMO to make it more special than it is. Isn't it good enough that it is a good co-op Shooter with rpg elements?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on who you ask since no one has really set a standard yet.

Diablo 3 - Not an MMO for obvious reason.

Marvel Heroes - Is an MMO. While there are instanced areas such as terminals you can still see players running around most of the core areas such as Midtown, High Town, and Industry city. You can fight the sinister Six in Midtown with a large group of people without being required to form a group.

Path of Exile - Not an MMO. You can see 20+ people in hubs but you will not see anyone in the main areas unless you are grouped with them, unless that changes after the final chapter is complete.

But this is merely my opinion. I have played neither Destiny nor Destiny 2 so I can make any judgment on the games.

10+ Year Old Account
    MMO stands for massive multiplayer online. Destiny is an online game where a massive amount of players play together in the same world so yes I consider it an MMO. Although I wish it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Triforcewolf View Post
    MMO stands for massive multiplayer online. Destiny is an online game where a massive amount of players play together in the same world so yes I consider it an MMO. Although I wish it wasn't.
    26 players in the hub, 16 in the world. This is not a massive amount. Stop spreading lies.

https://gamerant.com/destiny-2-farm-...ayer-count-26/

Has any human ever said "I got 26 Dollars, what a massive amount"?

Quote Originally Posted by Shanden View Post
    26 players in the hub, 16 in the world. This is not a massive amount. Stop spreading lies.
    By definition yes that is massive.

Sorry but people don't get to change the definition of words to fit their argument.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    By definition yes that is massive.

Sorry but people don't get to change the definition of words to fit their argument.
    Then give me a source to back this up. Shouldnt be hard if its that easy, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Shanden View Post
    Then give me a source to back this up. Shouldnt be hard if its that easy, huh?
    You know how to look up definition of words don't you? I'm sure its something they taught you in school.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not believe it is.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    On paper: Yes.

In reality: No, it's a co-op shooter. It's literally Borderlands with a few extra people you don't interact with running around.

In my opinion, wouldn't be classified as MMO. Massive to me in the MMO stands as an adjective for multiplayer. Massive multiplayer. Massive is defined as exceptionally large, so if it's an exceptionally large amount of players on your screen at once, it's an MMO in my opinion. They'd have to be in the same game as me for me to even notice so if it's separated where I can see 100 people maximum in one "social space" That's a pretty large number of people for multiplayer, but massive? That would be pretty close for me to call it that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You know how to look up definition of words don't you? I'm sure its something they taught you in school.
    They should have taught you that the one making the claim has to provide sources. I provided a source for the number of maximum players. All you did was saying "You stupid, I say so, google it". Now that is a grownup way of discussing, but to make this fun here are some:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/massive
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/massively
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/massive
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/massively

Feel free to quote anything to actually support your claim that 16/24 is massively, I will wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Is it Massive? Is it Multiplayer? Is it Online?

That's literally the only thing that makes an MMO an MMO. If it fits those descriptions it's an MMO, if it doesn't it isn't.
    You can't tear the words apart like that. Try that with FPS or RTS, and see why.

Is it First? Is it Person? Is it Shooter?

Is it Real? Is it Time? Is it Strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    You can't tear the words apart like that. Try that with FPS or RTS, and see why.

Is it First? Is it Person? Is it Shooter?

Is it Real? Is it Time? Is it Strategy?
    I believe he just did though? Sorry you have a problem with it. Please take a seat. Thanks.