Thread: The Orville

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I bet CBS are pissed they didn't let McFarlane have the real trek now, because the Orville is dominating real trek.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Just watched the 4th episode, yeah...still Trek here. Gotta say I'm really liking the way this is going.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

7+ Year Old Account
    i like the orville i don't have to pay cbs money to watch it good ol'e cable bill is fine for me the only pay to watch ill do is netflix and that's it.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Risale View Post
    Fully agree on top of that the guest stars we have seen so far has been stellar and there are more to come like Victor Garber, Charlize Theron, Brian George, Jeffrey Tambor, Robert Knepper, Holland Taylor, James Morrison to name a few.
    Did you not watch the 4th episode? Knepper was in it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    So was Liam Neeson. Surprised the fuck out of me that they were able to keep that from getting leaked.

Man, this show is so Trek it hurts. Quoting Emerson? I could see Picard doing that so easily.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Man, this show is so Trek it hurts. Quoting Emerson? I could see Picard doing that so easily.
    What next Patrick Stewart do a guest appearance as the amiral?

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly expected a lot more comedy as well it is a little more serious than I imagined but it's not bad at all.

Discovery would be so much better without Sonequa in it, if the legendary michelle yeoh took the lead can you imagine how awesome that show would be?

Just started it yesterday. Didn't look into it earlier because i heard it's comedy and i imagined something silly with over the top jokes.
    Was about to quit after the first few minutes with the cheating scene, but i'm glad i stayed.

Story arcs are interesing and "trek". The crew is likeable enough and i caught myself more than one time with a huge grin on my face.
    Effects are cheaper, but i don't really care about them(Only the shuttles seem really silly). Still better than overstylised lenseflares everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Yeah I did he was the leader from ep.4 and Victor Garber was in ep.1 and I totally forgot to write down Liam Neeson.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    It's pretty much inevitable.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Considering he is on one of MacFarlanes other shows, American Dad, on a regular basis I wouldn't rule it out.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    gotta say, it's growing on me. but sweet jesus did they advertise it wrong. It's star trek with some comedy thrown in. not a comedy with sci fi sprinkles.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    gotta say, it's growing on me. but sweet jesus did they advertise it wrong. It's star trek with some comedy thrown in. not a comedy with sci fi sprinkles.
    Yeah, the trailers made it seem like "Another Seth McFarlane show like Family Guy and American Dad, but live-action and Star Trek-y!" And instead it's Star Trek (and so far, I'd argue it's in line with the best episodes of TNG and DS9, and better than the rest of Trek) with some humor thrown in as comic relief. And some more-realistic reactions from characters, since Trek often leaned to the "everyone is perfect and awesome and noble" side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    (and so far, I'd argue it's in line with the best episodes of TNG and DS9, and better than the rest of Trek)
    That's a pretty sad indictment of TNG and DS9.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Not really. Both had some pretty big stinkers in their run (go watch Season 1 of TNG again; I doubt it'd have gotten a Season 2 in today's climate). I'm sure the Orville will probably have a bad episode at some point, but the pilot's the weakest episode they've had so far IMO.

The Orville's just very much in the spirit of the best of Trek. If you want to think of it as a trek "knock-off", it's a knock-off that's better than most legitimate Trek offerings have been.

And I'm one of the guys who thinks ST: Enterprise was unfairly maligned during its run.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I agree. TNG had some damn fine episodes....but it also had 7 seasons. I'd certainly put it above the curve for the first 2 seasons of TNG, there were gems, but it was really seasons 4-7 that made the show. My distaste for DS9 is well known, but that is in large part due to the Gamma Quadrant and "The Prophets" (I think I just puked a little), otherwise seasons 2 and 3 were pretty good, the more focus on the microcosm issue of the Cardassians and the Bajorans the show put, the better the episodes got.

Orville right now reminds me of early Voyager and TNG a lot. There's less "to boldly go" and more "we're not sure where to go", flying around encountering strange new sights is nice...but not enough. If they can write in a good underlying plot to the show beyond marital issues I think it'll carry it a long way.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Orville right now reminds me of early Voyager and TNG a lot. There's less "to boldly go" and more "we're not sure where to go", flying around encountering strange new sights is nice...but not enough. If they can write in a good underlying plot to the show beyond marital issues I think it'll carry it a long way.
    Well, remember that the Enterprise was the ambassadorial flagship of the entire Federation fleet. The top-shelf position that was a plum reward for the best Federation officers.

The Orville is a dinky-ass little exploration vessel, pretty much the bottom of their fleet assignments. It's the worst ship in the fleet. Which is why Mercer got it; he's at the bottom of the list for getting to captain his own ship, but they have so many ships they need to staff his name eventually came up. They're not going to be getting the most interesting assignments. They're getting the scut work.

Look at the episodes and what they actually were involved with; the pilot has them accidentally stumble into a Krill plot. The second episode they answer a distress call that's a trap to snag people as zoo exhibits (and Mercer and his first officer aren't worth the diplomatic costs of trying to get them out, so the crew has to ignore orders to save them). The third is entirely about the personal issues of an Orville crew member. And the most recent they're doing boring astronomic charting when they accidentally run into something weird on their scanners. They can't "boldly go" into the deep unknown, because they're not getting those assignments in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Well, remember that the Enterprise was the ambassadorial flagship of the entire Federation fleet. The top-shelf position that was a plum reward for the best Federation officers.

The Orville is a dinky-ass little exploration vessel, pretty much the bottom of their fleet assignments. It's the worst ship in the fleet. Which is why Mercer got it; he's at the bottom of the list for getting to captain his own ship, but they have so many ships they need to staff his name eventually came up. They're not going to be getting the most interesting assignments. They're getting the scut work.

Look at the episodes and what they actually were involved with; the pilot has them accidentally stumble into a Krill plot. The second episode they answer a distress call that's a trap to snag people as zoo exhibits (and Mercer and his first officer aren't worth the diplomatic costs of trying to get them out, so the crew has to ignore orders to save them). The third is entirely about the personal issues of an Orville crew member. And the most recent they're doing boring astronomic charting when they accidentally run into something weird on their scanners. They can't "boldly go" into the deep unknown, because they're not getting those assignments in the first place.
    Sure, I'm just hoping they can pull those bits and pieces be they the unexpected encounters with the Krill or how thinly stretched the Fleet is into some kind of larger underlying theme.

Just, be kind.

I'll rate it the same as Killjoys and Dark Matter, almost watchable.