Thread: The Orville

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I liked it, 70% Comedy / 30% Drama, this is the light-hearted show I been looking for. Also reminds more of Star Trek, better than the new Star Trek.

i was expecting more comedy tbh.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by efhtkgjgk View Post
    The Orville

So this new Seth MacFarlane Star Trek spoof which launches this Sunday so what are you thoughts?

OK i loved Galaxy Quest and its no secret i love Star Trek - The next generation but seeing the commercials for this even though i will give it a chance it really does look absolutely fucking awful.

This clearly is Fox giving Seth MacFarlane millions of dollars to live out his Star Trek fantasies and i can see this shit bombing after just one season.

It looks painfully unfunny.
    I haven't seen it yet but one of my co-workers watched the premier. He said it was fine. Which... is kinda damned by faint praise. I'm very hopeful but my expectations aren't that high.

Really liked it. Was positively surprised that it isn't a straight up spoof but more somber.

Looks more like actual Star Trek than that lens flare fest we'll be getting soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like Seth got some of his old crew from Family Guy on the show. Producer David Goodman, writer Wellesley Wild, and Cherry Chevapravadumrong (I just like saying that name).

Not really a fan of Star Trek or any similar type shows/movies. But I think this worked out ok. Like what Star Trek would be if it untucked its shirt and was ok making fun of itself. Might keep watching, probably won't be a priority though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I wanted to like it. It had a Trek feel to it. MacFarfromfunny was doing a dramatic role and not even trying to be funny, so I thought it had potential.

Then it started to occur to me; why reinvent the wheel? Why make a new Star Trek that isn't Star Trek? And, of course, on top of that, they had to ruin it with completely pointless marital problem BS with "oh my wife is the XO" and "she cheated on me and we divorced but it's all amazing and good now again!", and they had to go ahead and cast Adrianne Palicki in it.

It wanted to be Star Trek, but after takeoff it fell on it's face and became just another pointless drama.
    Well they're doing that with STD...they're making a Star Trek show that isn't Star Trek...only difference is his show doesn't have the name and his show is going for the humorous side while Discovery is going for the over the top flavor of the month gritfest side.

Quote Originally Posted by Serath View Post
    I haven't seen it yet but one of my co-workers watched the premier. He said it was fine. Which... is kinda damned by faint praise. I'm very hopeful but my expectations aren't that high.
    I did see the premier and like your co-worker said it was just 'fine' I didnt hate it even though i hate seth McFarland but my sci-fi nerd in me kinda liked it a bit though it wasnt as funny as i hoped.

I may stick around for episode 2 thats all iam gonna say.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked that the helmsman almost hit a ship that looked like the Eagle transporter from SPACE: 1999.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never heard of The Orville and just googled it, never liked any of the Star Trek series but the new movies.

I think I won't watch it because of the cast I see on the image, they don't fit in there for me personally.

// Edit: okay I googled a bit more, it's a comedy, no thanks will never watch it.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like Seth MacFarlane in American Dad but dude has an incredibly punchable face which aggravates me to no end. He usually likes to jerk off to the sound of his voice too which doesn't help.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was tolerable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clinophobia View Post
    never liked any of the Star Trek series but the new movies.
    ......okay then....

As far as pilots go, it was fine, nothing crazy good. I think they might strike gold if given the time to find their footing.

I think they made a mistake by marketing the show as comedy in space, the show had a dramatically different feel to it than what the trailer put forth. It feels like the comedy is an element rather than the reason for the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Second episode is out! Watch it on the official website...

This week's episode was directed by Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Parris from Voyager).

They made some changes to make-up (particularly Alara) and sets. The marijuana in the episode is... interesting.

The episode homages several classic and newer Star Trek episodes.

Edited to add: And all you pro-gay family folks should be pleasantly surprised by the ending.
    Last edited by Hammerfest; 2017-09-18 at 02:03 PM.

How can Hammerfest watch this? Planets are depicted as being spherical! Blasphemy!
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2017-09-18 at 02:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    How can Hammerfest watch this? Planets are depicted as being spherical! Blasphemy!
    Because, like planets and space, this show is fantasy.

I keep seeing this advertised all over the place, and I have zero desire to even see this.

Seth Macfarlane used to make some just OK tv shows for a while, but he's been shoved down peoples throats for far too long on [ Adult Swim ]

Honestly, I haven't even laughed at anything he has made in years, guess this show is not for me

I gave it a chance, but the show was so bad I couldn't even finish the first episode. I was face-palming myself into a come.
    Seth has a good thing going with Family Guy, but holy fuck that dude can NOT act!
    It felt like they were trying so hard to make it funny/dramatic/action-y.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Stop with the idolizing culture and give other people a chance with a new show/idea. I'm sick of seeing this guys face/name everywhere.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enjoy all 9 more episodes it has before it's gone forever