Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Florida gun owners encouraged to 'shoot the storm' and fire their guns at Hurricane I

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-g...213111921.html

A Florida man who suggested shooting guns at Hurricane Irma out of "stress and boredom" has found that his idea has captured peoples' imaginations - with over 46,000 signing up to join in.

Hurricane Irma is due to hit Florida on Saturday, and the state is currently experiencing the largest ever mass evacuation due to a hurricane in American history.

But Ryon Edwards, 22, came up with a novel way of amusing himself during the storm: firing bullets into it.

He started a Facebook "event", and as of Friday evening 46,000 people say they are interested.

"A combination of stress and boredom made me start the event," he told the BBC.

"The response is a complete and total surprise to me.

"I never envisioned this event becoming some kind of crazy idea larger than myself. It has become something a little out of my control."

Facebook

The "Shoot at Irma" page

Graphics suggesting how to shoot at a hurricane have sprung up online, with the suggestion that if you fire correctly the bullet might not come back and kill you.

Since Mr Edwards came up with his "masterplan", other similar Facebook pages have been created - including one suggesting using flame throwers to scare away the storm.

"It's time we took a stand against this bully!" reads the event description. "This is our home, nobody drives us out of our own territory.

"Join me in this fight as we shoot flames at Hurricane Irma and dissipate her on the spot."
    that will teach Irma!!

Deleted
    So many memes fit this story.

I mean,it's Florida
    No surprises here

its. a joke. I mean... does anyone actualy taking this seriously? its a joke!

Welp. Goodbye guys. A lot of us are going to die to bullets carried off in random directions.

I don't have a gun.... I'll just throw rocks at the eyewall when it passes by me.

This must be one of the most 'murican things i've read, thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    its. a joke. I mean... does anyone actualy taking this seriously? its a joke!
    Is it still a joke when the people actually show up with guns and shoot at the hurricane? Sounds like an event that's going as planned.

Has to be a joke, pretty sure firing stray bullets like this is illegal? You can actually injure/kill someone even if you shoot straight up in the sky, its not a video game bullets dont stop moving instantly when its out of eye sight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    "Florida"

Yup, checks out.
    Shucks....you beat me to it lol

How are people NOT seeing that it's a joke, when he clearly said he made it out of boredom and didn't expect it to get the return it did? And we know how things go viral on the internet because it's funny.

That said, being Florida, I wouldn't doubt that any few of the attendees were probably actually considering it.

God help them if 46,000 people fire bullets into a storm, the one way to actually manage to make it worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    It'll be worse than sharknado. Bulletcane! Someone should make a movie about it!

Quote Originally Posted by ItsRainingMetal View Post
    This must be one of the most 'murican things i've read, thanks.
    Relevant name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Better watch out in case you hit a shark... :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I suppose this is a new meaning to shooting the breeze?

I really want this to be a joke. Please?
    -----+-- [Thaddius] ++++++++

Just because you are unique, does not mean you are right.
    Ðoser of Illidan

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    It'll be worse than sharknado. Bulletcane! Someone should make a movie about it!
    Bulletstorm: the literal one

Creating a real-life Touhou-style bullet hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Relevant name.
    Lol, so true.

Touché.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    You know, as sad as it sounds, it's something right up SYFY's alley. Further, it would make more sense of a movie than sharks.

I mean, I imagine the sharks are swirling around eating people and the bullets wouldn't kill people, but meh.

Like seriously...Shoot the storm? Can you imagine if actual aliens actually tried to make contact with us?

I remember once I have seen a TED talk by a Dutch general who pointed out how the state monopoly on violence reduced the occurrence of violent incidents in the world. I mean it's pretty obvious sweeping numbers of people shouldn't be trusted with a spork, let alone with a firearm.