Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    That's inflation for you, if you had made proper remunerations after the war for destroying their country and killing 17% of their population it would have been a much lower figure.
    They shouldn't have signed the reparation settlement then, to be fair. I'm sorry, but I really can't motivate me to go beyond "well, tough shit, but that's how the cookie crumbles..."
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

That's inflation for you, if you had made proper remunerations after the war for destroying their country and killing 17% of their population it would have been a much lower figure.
    the third reich is not germany. Not very hard to understand is it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Yeah, the last time they joined the Russian Federation it didn't work out too well for them.

Eastern Europe owes a lot to Western Europe, the EU, and the US. Considering the parlous state they were in when the Soviet Union finally collapsed, that they're approaching developed country levels is nothing short of a miracle and a function of the European core and the periphery working in tandem.

What is Germany gonna do? Point out that they've defaulted on their loans and have crap credit, meaning no reputable financial institution and the world economy in general won't view their credit as anything but worthless. They'll have no capital for development or even defense, and Russia isn't interested in its periphery for anything but a buffer.
    EE owes nothing to the West, EU with their regulations destroyed their productivity, agriculture is bought by mostly German firms and they reap a lot of EU grants. Stop spewing bs.

15+ Year Old Account
    They didn't need to apply for asylum because they were already in Europe. An asylum seeker is a refugee who's awaiting evaluation of their claim. When the refugees are coming across your border from a neighbouring country embroiled in a civil war then investigating the validity of their claims isn't really necessary.

And yes, western European countries downplaying the war in Ukraine and the resulting refugee problems was political.
    You can't get refugee status without applying for asylum, this isn't really rocket science. Since they didn't apply, well ok a few thousand did, they aren't refugees, don't have refugee status, but have 6 month work permits to work in poland. You want to call them refugees so that you have an argument, you even go as far as arguing that people travelling from a country embroiled in civil war don't need to be investigated because apparently ukranians are the only ones who could possible cross the border, mental gymnastics at play.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    They shouldn't have signed the reparation settlement then, to be fair. I'm sorry, but I really can't motivate me to go beyond "well, tough shit, but that's how the cookie crumbles..."
    They didn't sign anything.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PL-Cibo View Post
    the third reich is not germany
    No it's not because it got it's ass handed to it nearly 70 years ago :P

But for reference it was Germany plus the land Germany had conquered.

You just have to ask one question...

Do you think 'every man for himself' will bring you/your country forward in a globalised world. Big companies eat the small.. etc...

I don't deny that the EU needs a big reform and give way for the need of individualism but from a professional standpoint most of all EU doomsaying is just pure emotions. Some politicians pick that up and give their voters what they want. German bashing seems en vogue to some. This only means emotions gain more wheight than facts and rational thinking.

And that why we can ignore about 80% of what is written in this forum.

No it's not because it got it's ass handed to it nearly 70 years ago :P

But for reference it was Germany plus the land Germany had conquered.
    do you not understand the the land is not the country? We are talking about political construct which was destroyed 70 years ago. To fine someone else on this basis is stupid. And this is exactly what they are doing. Your reference may hold in an elementary school discussion, but this is the real world. Nobody cares about this, not the media, not the EU, it was just that, a publicity stunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    I'm surprised at the level of bigotry I'm seeing in this thread toward Poland's people. I thought the US had problems, but the EU seems to have twice the bigots at half the size. Yes, I realize the fuss is over Poland law makers being xenophobic, but attacking their people for their leaders' errors is just evil.
    Because nationalism plays a greater role here, over there you are all 'american' here you are not, all the same however it is nonsense that this is so one sided. It goes both ways, what keeps the fire burning.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    You can't get refugee status without applying for asylum
    Lol of course you can, the whole reason asylum investigations are conducted is because if somebody travels thousands of miles from a third world country across multiple countries then it's hard to immediately validate their identity and story. On the other hand if somebody from a developed nation walks directly into your country carrying their passport that says they live in what is currently a war zone then their refugee status can be confirmed on the spot.

Western countries trying to pretend that refugees are economic migrants just because they are European refugees and the existence of European refugees makes them uncomfortable is just sad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PL-Cibo View Post
    do you not understand the the land is not the country? We are talking about political construct which was destroyed 70 years ago.
    WW2 Germany, and post reunification Germany is the same country, the Federal Republic of Germany is the legal successor state of Nazi Germany/Third Reich. Just like Russia is the legal successor of the USSR, the UK is the legal successor of the British empire, etc.

They bare legal responsibility for what they did 70 years ago and that includes making remunerations for their countries atrocities. You can't just dodge things like that for years then claim too much time has expired, it doesn't work like that.

I find these threads funny. A lot of people in here act like the EU is some god send.. but then they pretty much willingly talk about fucking over other countries within it.. pretty much as long as it isn't their own.

Brilliant system.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    I'm surprised at the level of bigotry I'm seeing in this thread toward Poland's people. I thought the US had problems, but the EU seems to have twice the bigots at half the size.
    It's kind of sad, but basically Germany invaded Poland and decimated it, then Russia "liberated" it (occupied) until the 90's, as a result what was once the leading lights of Europe is barely a developed nation and as nobody is apparently willing to pay up for what they did, it is still unable to properly rebuild itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    They didn't sign anything.
    Well, they declared a waiver in 1953. Regardless, they also agreed to the state of affairs in 1990, when Germany was reunificated. If you want to bring up reparations again, that would've been the time. Too little, too late. Either way, Germany isn't paying them more than they already have. People really need to stop begging for money since we're fast approaching the 100 year mark for WW2.

Also, this is just opportunistic political bullshit, anyway. Poland doesn't actually expect us to pay them. The only point of this exercise is to make Germany look bad. Given our history... wow, what an achievement. We're used to the idea that we have to be 20% better than anyone else on this shit planet, but seriously? The low blows just keep on coming. Fuck y'all, really. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Lol of course you can, the whole reason asylum investigations are conducted is because if somebody travels thousands of miles from a third world country across multiple countries then it's hard to immediately validate their identity and story. On the other hand if somebody from a developed nation walks directly into your country carrying their passport that says they live in what is currently a war zone then their refugee status can be confirmed on the spot.

Western countries trying to pretend that refugees are economic migrants just because they are European refugees and the existence of European refugees makes them uncomfortable is just sad.

- - - Updated - - -

WW2 Germany, and post reunification Germany is the same country, the Federal Republic of Germany is the legal successor state of Nazi Germany/Third Reich. Just like Russia is the legal successor of the USSR, the UK is the legal successor of the British empire, etc.

They bare legal responsibility for what they did 70 years ago and that includes making remunerations for their countries atrocities. You can't just dodge things like that for years then claim too much time has expired, it doesn't work like that.
    That's exactly how it works. Unless you want us to start making demands of France for invading through Germany a couple of times, Italy for occupying half of our territory 2k years ago. the Vatican for instigating a 30 year long civil war in Germany over the mad antics of a monk... fucking Mongolia for fucking up Europe and displacing Germans as an indirect result.... and so on and so forth. Want to tally up while I wait? No?

Okay then. Let's chill and see this for what it is. It's a political ploy to make Germany look bad. Congratulations, now we're the bad guys again. Whoop-dee-doo. It's not like we're not used to being the scapegoats for basically anything, ever. Will this change the stance of the EU? Not one bit. But somehow, we'll still be to blame for that. If all else fails, they'll start blaming Merkel for forcing Germany to be stubborn about the reparations, while at the same time forcing the EU to keep up that fine... which will hurt Germany and now her secret agenda of dismantling Germany and turning it into Communism 2.0 is complete! Long live the party! Long live comrade Merkel!
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Update to this story.

Poland accepts a German IOU

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's a political ploy to make Germany look bad.
    If you had paid your debts 70 years ago there wouldn't be an issue would there. Decimating a country, massacring its people and then dodging the rebuild costs is one thing. But issuing fines against said country for not obeying your will when it still hasn't even recovered fully from what you did is just disgusting.

15+ Year Old Account
    They still have to apply for asylum first. Your knowledge of this is unsurprisingly small.

So you're also one of those who call actual refugees economic migrants but economic migrants refugees because you couldn't possibly form an argument without distorting reality, good so i can stop wasting my time with you then.

So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    People really need to stop begging for money since we're fast approaching the 100 year mark for WW2.
    73 years next May.

If you had paid your debts 70 years ago there wouldn't be an issue would there. Decimating a country, massacring its people and then dodging the rebuild costs is one thing. But issuing fines against said country for not obeying your will when it still hasn't even recovered fully from what you did is just disgusting.
    They haven't recovered from what we did? Come on, that's just silly nonsense. They've had 70 years to recover. We've bloody built up East Germany by now and it was in a worse state than Poland. From Communism. Just as Poland. Poland had ample time to recover by now. How much reparations do they get from Russia?

And Germany isn't issuing fines, it's the EU. For a perfectly valid reason. Poland violates the core principles of the EU. This whole thing is a classic deflection. It's a bit surprising that you actually fall for it.

- - - Updated - - -

73 years next May.
    Yes, not much time till we can have the 100 years anniversary and everyone gets to blame Germany once more. Isn't that something to look forward to. Oh, the joy.

It not the time expired which is the problem. They already got their bound of flesh after the war. Or could have, but that was their bad. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_reparations
    So there was nothing dodged. There was nothing expired. There is also no right, no claim or whatever else. And you go on about legal successor. Nope, The only thing that goes with the new country is money. Thats exactly the extend of legal. And all debts where paid in 1953. Afterwards no country has a right to annoy a people who had nothing to do with it.

It's kind of sad, but basically Germany invaded Poland and decimated it, then Russia "liberated" it (occupied) until the 90's, as a result what was once the leading lights of Europe is barely a developed nation and as nobody is apparently willing to pay up for what they did, it is still unable to properly rebuild itself.
    They had 25 years. If they where a leading light i would have been easy to get to the forefront. Also one of the greatest problems in poland is corruption. Yep the local one. If your trying to troll, please get some facts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Decimating a country, massacring its people and then dodging the rebuild costs is one thing.
    Yeah, funny that this part isn't a problem for a brit.