Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Fox host compares 9/11 memorial to Confederate monuments

On Monday, the 16th anniversary of 9/11, a Fox News commentator wondered if a memorial for victims of the terrorist attack might eventually meet the same fate as statues depicting Confederate generals.
    In an interview with Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, "Fox & Friends" co-host Brian Kilmeade alluded to a memorial for passengers of United Flight 93 in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, where Zinke was slated to speak.
    "Do you worry that 100 years from now someone is going to take that memorial down like they are trying remake our memorials today?" Kilmeade asked, referring to the recent controversies that have led to the removal of statues for Confederate military leaders like Robert E. Lee.
    "I'm one that believes we should learn from history and I think our monuments are part of our country's history," Zinke replied. "We can learn from it. Since we don't put up statues of Jesus, everyone is going to fall morally short. And I think reflecting on our history, both good and bad, is a powerful statement and part of our DNA. So I'm an advocate of, again, learning from our monuments, understanding the period they were made. But also, we live in a great country and monuments are not Republican, Democrat, independent. The monuments are a tribute to all of us."
    Kilmeade's question was roundly mocked and criticized on social media, as people pointed out that the Confederate memorials depict people who rebelled against the United States while 9/11 memorials were erected in remembrance of victims of terrorism. Some, like former Hillary Clinton spokesman Jesse Ferguson, demanded that Fox "apologize to families of Flight 93 for comparing their bravery to confederate generals who fought against our nation."
    Fox News declined to comment.
    Zinke's response was also puzzling to some observers as well -- namely because his home state of Montana does have a statue of Jesus on public lands, which has been a subject of some controversy.
    But both question and response were broadly consistent with President Trump's own posture on the matter. Last month, Trump called the removal of Confederate monuments "sad" and "so foolish."
    For their part, both Zinke and Kilmeade are, in their own way, voices for the Trump administration.
    Trump's affinity for "Fox & Friends" is well-documented, particularly on his ever-active Twitter activity. Since taking office, the president has regularly tweeted his response to segments or interviews on the pro-Trump morning program.
    Kilmeade and his fellow co-hosts have earned Trump's approval with reliably fawning coverage. At a speech in Phoenix last month, Trump lavished the show with praise.
    "'Fox & Friends' in the morning is the best show and it's the absolute most honest show and it's a show I watch," he said.
    This guy makes some great points.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/11/medi...ues/index.html
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

No he does not.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about we just don't make statues anymore, lets just stick a tree in the ground instead :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

so a commentator talked utter bullshit and got countered on his points.

amazing he sure showed how not to do his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    How about we just don't make statues anymore, lets just stick a tree in the ground instead :P
    What will that solve?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Tr..._(New_Zealand)
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    This is just disgusting
    It could be worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    god dammit, not even trees are safe lol
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    lol...how?

The analogy doesn't even match.

The equivalent to confederate statues in regards to 9/11 is if people put up monuments to Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and Osama bin Laden. Are you telling me you would tolerate that? Of course you wouldn't.

Fox News is being stupid again...as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It could be worse.
    The guy we threw in our support for made us less relevant, time to double down on our racist agenda!

Good points indeed. History shouldn't be rewritten every few decades.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Knowing how this country is these days I wouldn't be surprised if even that offended someone somehow.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    lol...how?

The equivalent to confederate statues in regards to 9/11 is if people put up monuments to Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and Osama bin Laden. Are you telling me you would tolerate that? Of course you wouldn't.

Yeah pretty much this. It's the only way the analogy would make sense. Unless you see people tearing down statues in honor of the people the confederacy killed...

"Since we don't put up statues of Jesus, everyone is going to fall morally short" <------ I wouldn't take anyone seriously that says this kind of BS

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It could be worse.
    We all know saying the 3 magic words of Radial Islamic Terrorism instantly annihalates any and all Islamic terrorists everywhere is an instant magic 'I win' button . It's why Obama could never defeat them since he was powerless to utter those 3 words apparently.

Oh wow look at that I actually said it. I have singlehandedly defeated ISIS guys, you're welcome.

Back OT, the fact he had the sheer audacity to compare the two for the sake of politics is just plain revolting and an insult to the victims of 9/11.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Very great points, the best points, points the likes of which the world has never seen before.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

For his tortured analogy to even slightly work, he'd have to be talking about a memorial for the terrorists themselves... But I guess that wouldn't let him and his viewers play the victim, so we can't have that.

Quote Originally Posted by p0werslav3 View Post
    "Since we don't put up statues of Jesus, everyone is going to fall morally short" <------ I wouldn't take anyone seriously that says this kind of BS
    I wouldn't either. Anyone knows that "2. You shall not make any graven images." Anyone saying that the morality of anyone is failing because there is no statue of Jesus isn't practice what they preach.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    lol...how?

So all Confederate soldiers were evil people? Does that include all people living in the Confederate states? Did that include Teddy Roosevelt's mother?

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    For his tortured analogy to even slightly work, he'd have to be talking about a memorial for the terrorists themselves... But I guess that wouldn't let him and his viewers play the victim, so we can't have that.
    so now the confederate army was a bunch of terrorist. Great comparison.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    He really doesn't. It's baffling to many of us that anyone can see a link between victims of 9/11 and confederate generals. It defies all logic and reasoning.