Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Is racism as American as baseball?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...P=share_btn_tw

Some people unfurled a large banner at a Red Sox game last night with the words 'Racism is as American as Baseball' on it. My initial reaction was to feel contempt for people who would attempt to push an agenda of normalizing racism in such a manner, as I always considered racism anathema to living a life rooted in ethical behavior. And yes, even though the people who held up the sign are apparently white SJWs, what they are doing is just as bad (and probably worse than), those who want to LARP as tiki torch wielding Nazis. At least with the Nazis its obvious what they are about, people have natural mental defenses against Nazis.

The 'politics of racism' has become an intrinsic part of American culture, and what it's really about is telling people that its fine to be racist, because everyone else is. In this way, advocating that 'racism is everywhere' is the most racist thing that you can do, because it is practically a universal justification for racism.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lets just say that racism has been around since the dawn of time, and will always be there no matter how hard you try to hide it away..

Deleted
    What they consider racism isn't actually racism.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that racism is just part of who we are as humans. You can't not be at least a little bit racist. I think we are just born with the ability to indiscriminately dislike someone for their skin colour.

I can't hear them over the sound of how white they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Lets just say that racism has been around since the dawn of time, and will always be there no matter how hard you try to hide it away..
    Pretty much.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why is it always middle class leftie white people that pull these stupid stunts?

Keep politics out of sport, in fact get it or if everyone's daily life.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

No.
    Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...hnic-cleansing

The link kinda says it all.. one of these genocides still happens in Asia/Africa every 5-10 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, Racism exists, it exists in each and every person's heart. Anyone that tells you they aren't at least a little racist and biased is a liar. Everyone has biases, the question becomes how do we deal with our own biases against others?

The word itself is becoming so overused and misused that people hear it now and go, 'it was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches last time, what is it going to be this time?' We are fast approaching the point where everything will be labelled as 'racist', and then the race peddlers will have nothing else to label as 'racist'

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Yes, Racism exists, it exists in each and every person's heart. Anyone that tells you they aren't at least a little racist and biased is a liar. Everyone has biases, the question becomes how do we deal with our own biases against others?

The word itself is becoming so overused and misused that people hear it now and go, 'it was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches last time, what is it going to be this time?' We are fast approaching the point where everything will be labelled as 'racist', and then the race peddlers will have nothing else to label as 'racist'
    I have a feeling you don't know what racism means(which is funny because you go on to tell us that it's overused and misused).

I have never held a racist thought. I have never stereotyped someone based on their race. So, yeah, I'm not even close to a racist. I am biased, everyone has their biases, but it never has anything to do with race or gender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Deleted
    nothing wrong with racism or baseball , just stop crying so much

you dont see chiouaouas protesting because they were born slow and ugly
    Last edited by mmoce4779ff20e; 2017-09-14 at 11:06 AM.

Given that racism is about as American as apple pie, not at all, you would have to say yes. Both are global and were around long before America was even discovered.

I never understood that saying "As American As Apple Pie". why pick something that is demonstratively not American. You have peanut butter which is totally American and fing brilliant, use that.

Racism isn't just an American thing, so the banner is rather strange.

That being said, I think the OP is off the mark in saying they are trying to normalize racism. I think the point was to highlight that it is latent within our culture.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Racism is an aspect of tribalism. We want to support our own group, even if our group isn't very good. It is just easier to want to be around people that are like us.

Ultimately, that is what it is about. Most people want the lazy way out. Being racist is easy when you are surrounded by people of the same color. Being sexist is easy when you are surrounded by sexist comments. Being racist is hard when you live in a diverse area because you know it doesn't work. Being sexist is hard when you work with both sexes and see the reality that most sexist tropes don't stand up to scrutiny.

It takes work to consider being put in other people's shoes. As a white male, I have only ever been harassed once unfairly by a police officer in my lifetime because I was riding a motorcycle (therefore, the cop assumed I was a trouble-maker). An idiot would conclude, "See it happens to white people too"; a smart person concludes, "That sucked, and if that happened to me weekly or daily, I'd be pissed too".

Racism is easy. Understanding and learning is hard. Americans are largely lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by vain View Post
    nothing wrong with racism or baseball , just stop crying so much

you dont see chiouaouas protesting because they were born slow and ugly
    There's plenty wrong with racism, if people try to legislate such things, or use it as a justification to harm others.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    [IMG]advocating that 'racism is everywhere' is the most racist thing that you can do, because it is practically a universal justification for racism.
    Is this from some fallacy convention?

USA is the newest kid on the block, i can guarantee that you brought nothing new on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Racism is an aspect of tribalism. We want to support our own group, even if our group isn't very good. It is just easier to want to be around people that are like us.

Ultimately, that is what it is about. Most people want the lazy way out. Being racist is easy when you are surrounded by people of the same color. Being sexist is easy when you are surrounded by sexist comments. Being racist is hard when you live in a diverse area because you know it doesn't work. Being sexist is hard when you work with both sexes and see the reality that most sexist tropes don't stand up to scrutiny.

It takes work to consider being put in other people's shoes. As a white male, I have only ever been harassed once unfairly by a police officer in my lifetime because I was riding a motorcycle (therefore, the cop assumed I was a trouble-maker). An idiot would conclude, "See it happens to white people too"; a smart person concludes, "That sucked, and if that happened to me weekly or daily, I'd be pissed too".

Racism is easy. Understanding and learning is hard. Americans are largely lazy.
    >build word hegemon out of undeveloped continent in 200 years
    >lazy

pick one

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delana View Post
    >build word hegemon out of undeveloped continent in 200 years
    >lazy

pick one
    just an other liberal that hates himself and his country

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    >Racists do racist shit
    >Must be lefties!!

lolMMO-C

Maybe people in the past were just more honest with themselves instead of drinking the liberal coolaid. Modern thought on race/gender/etc is becoming very dishonest and more about virtue signalling than about reality.

Are people really comfortable with having racially mixed grandchildren? Is having women in the workforce instead of being at home really improving society? Does transitioning really make transgender people happy?

Society tells us to think one way, our minds tell us to think another way. Which would you trust?