Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuba View Post
    WoW Leveling is painful
    Son, back my day if you didn't have a brother in arms at your side, you'd die horribly to swarms of murlocs before leaving Elwynn Forest. Lots and lots of Murlocs... And they chain pulled. and fighting even one was tough. Fighting a second mob was the fight of your life! And if you survived, you better hope you have some milk to drink, son, cus you're all outta' mana! And don't even get me started on Defias Pillagers.

So after a few months of playing SWTOR I came back to WoW and since Argus was fun as hell I decided to level a 4th alt, and boooy it was a nightmare. Leveling is slow, painful, unfun, and at some point I realized that it is much easier to just sit around capital city all day queueing for dungeons (more exp overall, less work).
    It took me quite some time to get to 110, a lot more than other MMOs take to get to max level and the fun I had was probably the least I have had in an MMO (SWTOR being the top leveling experience, so it made me feel even worse).
    Did Blizzard lowered the exp rate of mobs or was it always this bad?
    What I miss the most is voiced content on the lower levels, because I realized that if I was a new player I wouldn't want to play a game such as WoW and level a character on it because of how painful it feels, there is literally no fun and even new players stop reading the textes after some time. Voiced content for ALL the quests of WoW would probably make the game much better.
    Oh, on a side note though, once I got to 110 it took me 5 hours /played to be at 915 ilvl with concordance of the legionfall level 3, so at least there is that.
    If it was fun then no one would buy the boosts.

It's another time fellas. Another time...

Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    If you think WoW on an alt is slow and painful I suggest you never ever give FF14 a shot.
    The point if FFXIV is really not have to do an alt though, since (with minor exceptions) you can do everything on one character, including classes and tradeskills. Though you are right, if you actually want to start another character with a different pair of titts you will have to slog through the quests again and that can be a pain (especially the RR ones).

Leveled vanilla as a resto druid, so I doubt leveling alts now is as slow. (also was a total nub ofcourse, still am probably)
    Epics for show, Greens for the pro

this is a troll right

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    World Quests really made leveling painful. I used to love revisiting quests that I'd only done the once while leveling a main. Now, I've done those quests in the same areas hundreds of times since they were reused for WQ's. Even the dungeons are painful since I've been doing them in Heroic, then Mythic, then Mythic+.

The only alts I've leveled past 100 have been from the Invasions. You get about a level from each one with a full set of heirlooms.
    Also this, oh my god the sheer thought of having to do these quests on an impotent alt.. the high level gear of my main makes it barely bareable, even 1-5 at a time. Doing all 30 to 40 of those again in one zone fills me with dread.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    *snicker* They'd ragequit EQ before they even got to 20.
    FFXI was worse for me >< way way way worse, they wouldn't last a day

So after a few months of playing SWTOR I came back to WoW
    First issue.
    Afair SWTOR has numerous XP boost events and original 1-60 (haven't played for quite some time so I can be little off with numbers here) was revamped to be almost instant. I remember original (pre-F2P times) game where you had to do planet's main story + class story + bunch of side quests to be able to advance to the next one. Now? Class story is enough, right? So after such boosted experience you came back to WoW and complain it isn't SWTOR...

Leveling is slow, painful, unfun,
    Nah, it isn't. It's much faster and easier than it used to be. During WotLK gaining a level past 75 took about two evenings, not to mention leveling speed of Vanilla and BC. Due to expansions being numerous and currently we are just 10 levels away from doubling Vanilla's max, anything till Draenor (which I believe was revamped as well) was sped up significantly.

Add heirlooms to it and it gets even faster.

The real issue is not leveling is slow and boring. It is your overhyped expectations that "tells you" it should be faster. People have no patience these days.

Oh, on a side note though, once I got to 110 it took me 5 hours /played o be at 915 ilvl
    Says the guy who complains about leveling speed... Oh the irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The point if FFXIV is really not have to do an alt though, since (with minor exceptions) you can do everything on one character, including classes and tradeskills. Though you are right, if you actually want to start another character with a different pair of titts you will have to slog through the quests again and that can be a pain (especially the RR ones).
    Yea, I know. The point is that the only way to level those other jobs is to do a boring ass grind.

Leveling should be redesigned since it's not even close to fun I agree. The game is focusing way too much on end-content. This isn't a problem since you play most of your time basically there at final level. But a few expansions ago leveling was cool at least for me.
    Here are some ideas that might work imo.
    - Every zone should be reworked with this method: The first zone where you start leveling should be from level 1 up to level 10 and the 2nd zone 10-15 the 3rd 15-25 etc.

- What is the most important thing the questing method should be redesigned: There should be 2 type of quests (apart from daily-repeatable quests). 1st type should be the main STORY-line quest (this should also have a different color for ex. purple) If someone have full heirloom set they should level up exactly 1-10 on 1st zone 10-15 on 2nd and 15-20 on rd zone while ONLY doing the story line quests (not story line quests where you have to gather unnecessary things and explore staff for nothing). If someone does NOT HAVE HEIRLOOM they can level up the same amount of levels by compleeting the SIDEQUESTS alongside with STORY-line quests on a certain zone.

- DUNGEONS: low level dungeons are not fun anymore 90% of the players are speeduning all of them for XP. These instances should be a bit harder/longer just like mythic+ at the end-game content. Boss numbers should be massively increeased for example like Tyrannical in mythic+. While an instance take a bit longer and be a bit harder (players may gain some skill while actually doing things not just afking and standing still..this could come in handy at end-game LFR so they may be do some things there as well) the rewards should be more exciting. Increased XP/gold/loot or some consumables which can give like move speed for hours and can speed you up a lot. An instanc should be fine enough to do once leveling.
    At the moment spamming instances is the fastest way to level up till around 51-53 and this became the same at 59-84.
    Leveling a character by doing quests / quests+dungeons or even playing PvP should be give the same amount of XP no matter which aspect of the game you chose.
    PvP players should gain a buff where they can get +50 +100% XP i don't know PvP numbers sry this is just an idea.

Question is how much work this requires. So far as I know the time passes differently on Argust atm so why not use this for an excuse to do wild stuff in the game? I'm thinking things like DirectX 12, Mantle ( ) With these things the zones, characters, textures and everything should be reworked.

There might be some problem with my english sorry about it. These things are something I would like to see in the game. If these things would be live I would definitely play some low level alts sometimes.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    I think leveling in Star Wars is much more fun but definitely slower than leveling in WoW.
    It is,

SWTOR were clever and planned each class around a massive story line which spans from L1 to L50 (when I was playing atleast)

I hit level 37 before I had to finish (I should really go back actually). And yea that was on the slower side, IIRC questing doesn't give you much experience but dungeons an pvp do.

WoW is only painful to level when you go in with a negative attitude. I leveled a new alt 6 ish weeks ago? and hit 110 4 weeks ago ish. Granted 1-90 I had RAF bonus, but 90 onwards is was no exp bonus - not even heirlooms. It was fine, I just went into it and said "Tonight I'm doing as much as the main quest line in vashj as I can" and casually did it. In 4 days I hit 110, a day slower than my three mates. My other alt has gone from 100 to 109 purley doing invasions when I notice they are up. 1 full invasion = 1 level.

Quote Originally Posted by shuubi View Post
    Leveling is not the painful part when it comes to alts, it's actually rather fast even if the level cap is 110. The end game in this xpack however has been alt hostile in many ways, sadly.
    I'm sorry this needs to stop. Alt were a bit painful on launch, but its not at all any more.

Going back to my group, they had 3 hour research orders for them - brand new characters, They caught up to me in AK in days. They've all lore master stuff. They've done suramar in days (the rep gating is gone), CoS and Arcway gates were gone as well. They've done the Broken shore stuff and they are up to date on argus

One is now 940 and the other two 928 with me at 926. From 3/4 weeks work. My alt professions are on par with my mains. Fuck me they've even caught up in corcondance and past it against people I know who are on their mains raiding ToS hc.

The expansion is not alt or new player unfriendly any more

10+ Year Old Account
    The only slow part about leveling, to me, is fucking Northrend... You have to stay for for -12- levels, its awful.
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

Deleted
    They didn't really nerf the XP gain from mobs and etcetera but they did decrease the amount of XP rewarded from classic dungeons (15-58) before Legion released.

Deleted
    So after a few months of playing SWTOR I came back to WoW and since Argus was fun as hell I decided to level a 4th alt, and boooy it was a nightmare. Leveling is slow, painful, unfun, and at some point I realized that it is much easier to just sit around capital city all day queueing for dungeons (more exp overall, less work).
    It took me quite some time to get to 110, a lot more than other MMOs take to get to max level and the fun I had was probably the least I have had in an MMO (SWTOR being the top leveling experience, so it made me feel even worse).
    Did Blizzard lowered the exp rate of mobs or was it always this bad?
    What I miss the most is voiced content on the lower levels, because I realized that if I was a new player I wouldn't want to play a game such as WoW and level a character on it because of how painful it feels, there is literally no fun and even new players stop reading the textes after some time. Voiced content for ALL the quests of WoW would probably make the game much better.
    Oh, on a side note though, once I got to 110 it took me 5 hours /played to be at 915 ilvl with concordance of the legionfall level 3, so at least there is that.
    Ha ha . 0/10 troll effort

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shuubi View Post
    Leveling is not the painful part when it comes to alts, it's actually rather fast even if the level cap is 110. The end game in this xpack however has been alt hostile in many ways, sadly.

I do agree with you that the leveling content needs to be streamlined and updated, though. It won't be as blizzard has their "pay 60 euros to get a max level character" thingy these days.
    To me personally it's not the hardness, it's an incredibally bland and unrewarding experience. I think it would greately benefit from a world quest feature on every zone for better rewards like huge chunk of faction rep tied to a zone, XP, Nice items, and currencies. Also, they should make level scaling availble on all zones. It'll greatly improve the leveling experience.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."

I found it was a pain. Then i realised you only need to do about 10 quests to get a level up from level 70+. So with a combination of tanking each dungeon once for the quests, and questing in the world, I leveled up extremely quickly.
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Dungeon leveling was nerved in cata.
    Nonetheless it is pretty fast. I am leveling an alt as we speak right now and there is nothing painful mister OT, only thing that is painful is that it's boring

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure that SWTOR has an XP boost active, especially if you sub...Get heirlooms and spam dungeons if you wanna level faster.

Also, the shear amount of quests from the Vanilla era up to now would require too much resources to devote to voicing every single piece of text quest...It's just unreasonable to ask for that at this point.

SWTOR was built differently, with a different focus in mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    FFXI was worse for me >< way way way worse, they wouldn't last a day
    Ah, a fellow masochist. To the dunes!