Thread: The Light

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The Light

Why do people worship it when it functions just like any other form of magic? It's rather evident that it doesn't actually require will power to use anymore since technology has been made from it and last I checked that technology wasn't sentient and therefore had no will power. It also doesn't seem to require faith since I can play a shadow priest and rain down holy destruction from a Lightforged golem.

There's no greater power behind the Light like there is with the elements or loa or wild gods. It's just a magical force not too dissimilar from arcane or fel. Why is it worshiped?

IT's very different from the Arcane which is the magic of Order.
    To manipulate Arcane, you'll have to practice a lot to control it.
    To manipulate Elements, you'll need a special connection to them and use them depending on their nature (fury vs peaceful).
    To manipulate Nature, you'll have to align yourself with this.
    To manipulate Light, you'll have to truely believe in its power. For some reasons, it seems that the Light is the one that gives you power, the belief is not a sure parameter.
    To manipulate Fel, you'll have to be infused with it, but it's a dangerous thing because it can destroy you if you're not strong enough to accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfRider View Post
    To manipulate Light, you'll have to truely believe in its power. For some reasons, it seems that the Light is the one that gives you power, the belief is not a sure parameter.
    Or you can just build it into technology that anyone can use regardless of their beliefs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Or you can just build it into technology that anyone can use regardless of their beliefs.
    maybe its linked to the person that build it?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I wouldn't be so certain that it is not a being that grants you light. It is hinted that the first human priests were indirectly guided by a naaru through dreams, and withwhat we have seen of xe'ra, it is not unthinkable that some other naaru might have aided the sscarlet crusade in their cause, for example. That is not to say that the naaru are necessarily the light itself, but they are at least one of multiple species with the ability to "grant" the light

Those machines are being used against the lights enemy, and being built by the army of the light. You could have "less bless this machine" kinda deal with a priest, we don't know but it seems logical to have them to me.

Quote Originally Posted by zemerax View Post
    You could have "less bless this machine" kinda deal with a priest, we don't know but it seems logical to have them to me.
    Praise the Omnissiah!

Quote Originally Posted by zemerax View Post
    Those machines are being used against the lights enemy, and being built by the army of the light. You could have "less bless this machine" kinda deal with a priest, we don't know but it seems logical to have them to me.
    They're not blessed. They're made/powered by holy crystals. They're made in the exact same way the draenei make their arcane based tech.

7+ Year Old Account
    Did the Light cleanse or corrupt Lothraxion?

Now that's something I wanna know

Quote Originally Posted by maljinwo View Post

Nathrezim are shadow and fel aligned creatures, so Light must have been quite literally forced on Lothraxion.

10+ Year Old Account
    last I checked that technology wasn't sentient and therefore had no will power.
    Would't it be just like making a construct like a golem? Just infusing it with a purpose and means to complete it, not sure why you view tech as any different. Although the tech has no willpower neither does the clay that a golem is constructed with, the willpower comes from the creator.

But that technically isn't wielding the Light, it's wielding whatever that can use the Light (in this case, magitechs that are powered by Holy Crystals).

Anyway, to your main question, the Light is still worshiped because people who worship it were doctrined to do so or they believe worshiping it is a good thing, simply as that. As you said, the Light and the Void essentially have always been magical / cosmic force not too unlike from Arcane, Fel or Nature, albeit with different requirements and effects. However, that isn't why people worshiped the Light at first place. People either worship it because they think their God (the Light) is better than other Gods (other cosmic forces, other beings, etc.). Or alternatively, while they don't care much about a greater being / force, they appreciate the good connotations coming with it in the teachings - how it's warmth, caring, loving, and a force of goodness to drive back the darkness (metaphorically). Basically, just like real-life religions - people worshiped Christian God, the Sun, fire and all that. Just go and ask a church-goer why does he (or she) worship their God even though Christian is just a religion like others, you will get your answer then.

The one who were never taught that the Light is anything special, and can see it for what it is (a cosmic force) don't really worship it - for example, the Titans.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2017-09-15 at 01:55 PM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfRider View Post
    IT's very different from the Arcane which is the magic of Order.
    To manipulate Arcane, you'll have to practice a lot to control it.
    To manipulate Elements, you'll need a special connection to them and use them depending on their nature (fury vs peaceful).
    To manipulate Nature, you'll have to align yourself with this.
    To manipulate Fel, you'll have to be infused with it, but it's a dangerous thing because it can destroy you if you're not strong enough to accept it.
    We need Blizz to put out a new book. Warcraft: Headcanon. Just copy/pastas of posts like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by maljinwo View Post

Xe'ra got naughty in Illi's absence and found the next best looking demon. Lothraxxion had no eye beams.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why do people worship it when it functions just like any other form of magic? It's rather evident that it doesn't actually require will power to use anymore since technology has been made from it and last I checked that technology wasn't sentient and therefore had no will power. It also doesn't seem to require faith since I can play a shadow priest and rain down holy destruction from a Lightforged golem.

There's no greater power behind the Light like there is with the elements or loa or wild gods. It's just a magical force not too dissimilar from arcane or fel. Why is it worshiped?
    Of course there's a higher power behind the Light. Can you not see that Blizzard has aligned the Naaru, Wild Gods, Void Lords, Burning Legion, Titans, etc together as essentially the same tier of representation given their preferred school of magic?

If you're suggesting that Light is not a "thing" and it's just a cosmic force, you are correct. Does it have a brain and eyeballs and a mouth? Not likely. But it does have some manner of sentience, the degree of which we're unaware. The Naaru are, quite literally, fractured shards of the Light after it smashed into the void and created the universe. Void lords are, quite literally, void given sentience.

If you're looking for some kind of Abrahamic-inspired one-true-god type deal, you'll be left wanting. To that effect, whether or not the light "chooses" or "gifts" itself is up for debate (much like the existence of God is on Earth). We have very clear examples of the Light being forced on people by specific practitioners. Is it just a primal force? Does it have full sentience? Who the fuck knows. Nobody who can be trusted has actually made a claim. And until Blizzard, the actual authority on the topic, becomes very very clear on it, we can do nothing but speculate and theorize.

I hope many here have read The Name of the Wind and its successor. While Rothfuss reinvents/modernizes* several types of magic, the so-called Sygaldry artificery is quite steampunk-esque: rune-powered basic machines etc. (instead of steam/electricity)
    Examples: lamps with on/off switches, a refrigerator (runes pull heat from the inside out the back) and (the protagonist's "masterpiece") an anti-crossbolt device that detects and stops bolt-shaped objects.

* I'm aware the mere concepts are not new, but there's certainly a new twist to them.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    We need Blizz to put out a new book. Warcraft: Headcanon. Just copy/pastas of posts like this one.
    I just sum up what Blizzard told or wrote in their books and in their game.
    Only high potential students managed to use Arcane magic and few mastered it (Dalaran, High Elves of Quel'Talas etc... I don't imagine it)
    Shamans don't exploit Elements, they make a deal with them and they ask their intervention. Shamans can lose their connection with Elements (MU Draenor orcs, Thrall after WoD etc...)
    Nightelves managed to become Druids because they learned how to align themselves with nature, be a druid isn't restrictive unless you're not patient (Chronicles / Illidan's path in Legion)
    Light is equivalent of our monotheist religions (faith / prayers to one greater entity) but it can grant power if you're pure enough (many examples in the books and game)
    Fel is an unstable and destructive magic (Chronicles / WoD / Legion)

I don't see where this is headcanon, I'm just writing what Blizzard already defined.

Willpower is actually a real concrete thing in WarCraft Universe. It can also be granted.

Because it has the HIGH GROUND.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Willpower is actually a real concrete thing in WarCraft Universe. It can also be granted.
    But willpower is green, fear is yellow....

WE HAVE BEEN DUPED ALL ALONG!