Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

So...Why is none of the NPCs powerfull and awesome anymore?

So i did the last part of the Argus campaign and i was actually really exited to play it through, since it showed alot of NPC interaction, fighting beside Turalyon and Velen, and doing the new dungeon with Alleria, but something really struck me, something that woke up a thing that have annoyed me for a while.

...Why are none of the NPC characters powerfull or atleast just doing something awesomely powerfull in-game? Are NPCs not allowed to be awesome anymore?

From a lore standpoint, characters like Velen, Alleria and especially Turalyon are very powerfull and can do powerfull things. They should be able to stand on their own against most enemies and do great things....But in the game, compared to the player, they do nearly nothing. Turalyon should be cleaving through demons and burning them down with holy fire, yet he does very little even compared to my follower companion. Alleria in new dungeon was even set up to be very important, but from a player standpoint, she did nothing but open a few doors.

I can understand, that from a gameplay point of view, it is not good to have NPCs doing all the work, but i really feel like we are making all the NPCs in the game seem weak, when they are not allowed to actually kill enemies anymore. Illidan seems insanly powerfull in the Xe'ra Cinematic, yet he seems to have his hands full when he is just dealing with minor demons in-game. For me, this makes it harder to look up to these characters and idolize them. While Turalyon looks cool, i feel like a guy like Tirion is actually even stronger and i think something is wrong about that.

I remember back to the days of Erunak Stonespeaker, who used Forked Lightning 5-6 enemies and 1-shot them. The Lillian Voss storyline in the Tirisfal Glades, where she jumps around killing lvl approbiate NPCs. The entire Battle of Undercity, where we really got to see why our faction leaders deserved to be our faction leaders. It is sooooo long since we have had an awesome moment, where an NPC actually comes in and does something amazing.
    Creating these moments for new characters would help. Having one of the outposts on Argus be attacked only for Turalyon to warp in and slice through some elites would make it much easier to see him as powerfull. Having Velen go with us on a quest and heal characters to full health and burn down big enemies would also help his image.

TL;DR: It seems like NPCs in current WoW are not allowed to be cool and awesome in-game. I think that something is lost because of this. Characters like Turalyon and Velen would be alot easier to see as cool characters, if they actually got into combat and showed their power. Right now, i sadly feel like the players are saving a world full of weak people, who can do absolutely nothing to defend themselfs.

What is your standpoint on the current in-game powerlvl of the major NPC characters?
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    So i did the last part of the Argus campaign and i was actually really exited to play it through, since it showed alot of NPC interaction, fighting beside Turalyon and Velen, and doing the new dungeon with Alleria, but something really struck me, something that woke up a thing that have annoyed me for a while.

...Why are none of the NPC characters powerfull or atleast just doing something awesomely powerfull in-game? Are NPCs not allowed to be awesome anymore?

From a lore standpoint, characters like Velen, Alleria and especially Turalyon are very powerfull and can do powerfull things. They should be able to stand on their own against most enemies and do great things....But in the game, compared to the player, they do nearly nothing. Turalyon should be cleaving through demons and burning them down with holy fire, yet he does very little even compared to my follower companion. Alleria in new dungeon was even set up to be very important, but from a player standpoint, she did nothing but open a few doors.

I can understand, that from a gameplay point of view, it is not good to have NPCs doing all the work, but i really feel like we are making all the NPCs in the game seem weak, when they are not allowed to actually kill enemies anymore. Illidan seems insanly powerfull in the Xe'ra Cinematic, yet he seems to have his hands full when he is just dealing with minor demons in-game. For me, this makes it harder to look up to these characters and idolize them. While Turalyon looks cool, i feel like a guy like Tirion is actually even stronger and i think something is wrong about that.

I remember back to the days of Erunak Stonespeaker, who used Forked Lightning 5-6 enemies and 1-shot them. The Lillian Voss storyline in the Tirisfal Glades, where she jumps around killing lvl approbiate NPCs. The entire Battle of Undercity, where we really got to see why our faction leaders deserved to be our faction leaders. It is sooooo long since we have had an awesome moment, where an NPC actually comes in and does something amazing.
    Creating these moments for new characters would help. Having one of the outposts on Argus be attacked only for Turalyon to warp in and slice through some elites would make it much easier to see him as powerfull. Having Velen go with us on a quest and heal characters to full health and burn down big enemies would also help his image.

TL;DR: It seems like NPCs in current WoW are not allowed to be cool and awesome in-game. I think that something is lost because of this. Characters like Turalyon and Velen would be alot easier to see as cool characters, if they actually got into combat and showed their power. Right now, i sadly feel like the players are saving a world full of weak people, who can do absolutely nothing to defend themselfs.

What is your standpoint on the current in-game powerlvl of the major NPC characters?
    Nomi is the most powerful NPC in the game... he can burn your ingredients in the blink of an eye.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

We are cooler and more powerful they everyone now???

long story short people were complaining that NPCs were doing their job e.g. thrall in dragon soul

Deleted
    I feel more than anything else, we don't see enough of them. So many storylines just, you know, end with no resolution.

I think there is a thread kicking around on this, but for example:

Wrathion
    Sylvanas
    EVERY OTHER NAMED NPC IN OUR ORDER HALLS.

We are fighting on Argus? Where the hell are they? ITS THE WHOLE REASON WE WENT TO THE BROKEN SHORE/ISLES.

Your points are valid that the power shifts seem to be heading in our direction, but I just want to see these people fighting for our world, as its really the only one we have.

Hell, get A'dal over here so he (I assume he is a he, do Naarus have gender?) can kick some ass! Get the damn dragon aspects (RIP Ysera) to tear up the battlefields too!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Finear View Post
    long story short people were complaining that NPCs were doing their job e.g. thrall in dragon soul
    Like i understand thrall and him pretty much running the story, but all i would want is the NPCs kicking some ass in the background. Summon some no-name enemies, that just seem powerfull and let the NPCs do a bazillion dmg to them. Just like many others, i dislike NPCs who are doing our jobs, but that should not stop them from having value in-game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcast View Post
    I feel more than anything else, we don't see enough of them. So many storylines just, you know, end with no resolution.

I think there is a thread kicking around on this, but for example:

Wrathion
    Sylvanas
    EVERY OTHER NAMED NPC IN OUR ORDER HALLS.

We are fighting on Argus? Where the hell are they? ITS THE WHOLE REASON WE WENT TO THE BROKEN SHORE/ISLES.

Your points are valid that the power shifts seem to be heading in our direction, but I just want to see these people fighting for our world, as its really the only one we have.

Hell, get A'dal over here so he (I assume he is a he, do Naarus have gender?) can kick some ass! Get the damn dragon aspects (RIP Ysera) to tear up the battlefields too!
    Ohh god i wish, that in the last weeks of 7.3.5, we saw an entire amada of Horde and Alliance air-ships come through a portal to Argus and just lay waste to the remaining demons lead by pretty much all our faction leaders, setting it up as a epilogue like the Broken Shore battle was set up a prologue.

But yeah, i do miss some action from important characters in the game and overall, i just miss seeing alot of the characters. Wrathion is my favorite character of all time, because he is so well set up, but he is nowhere in the game right now. So is the situation with many NPCs who could do cool stuff, but are left in the dirt by Blizzaards incompetence to write their own characters into the story.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

You're right about Illidan. It's pathetic watching him trying to kill those bat demons. Maybe he used all his energy on the naru

Seems like typical blizzard subtlety to me. Players complaining, that we made the PC stand next to thrall/dragons/dragonthrall watching him do kamehamehas for way too long? Okay, lets do a 180. Now YOU get to be watched by 5 demigods constantly, who all comment on how awesome you are.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

We are the Deathlord, leader of the Ebon Blade, right hand of the Lich King, wielding reforged Frostmourne.

We are the Slayer, acting leader of the Illidari, wielding warglaives empowered by Kil'Jaeden himself.

We are the Archdruid of the Dreamgrove, wielder and tamer of the Scythe of Elune, blessed by the spirits of Ursoc and Ashamane.

We are the Huntmaster of the Unseen Path, wielder of the Thas'dorah and Titanstrike, legendary weapons of untold power.

We are the Conjuror of the Tirisgarde, wielder of the weapons of both the first and second to last Guardians.

We are the Grandmaster of the Broken Temple, wielder of the power of the Windlord himself.

We are Highlord of the Silverhand, the Ashbringer, appointed by Tirion himself on his deathbed.

We are The High Priest of the Conclave, wielding both the Light and Shadow against our foes.

We are the Shadow of Uncrowned, wielding the deadliest weapons ever known to Azeroth.

We are Farseer of the Earther Ring wielding the Doomhammer and the power of the Titans.

We are the First of the Council of the Black Harvest, wielding the Scepter of Sargeras himself.

We are the Battlelord of the Valajar, wielding legendary swords forged by Odyn and empowered by Helya beyond their original power.

The NPCs haven't become less powerful, but the player character has caught up to them and even surpassed their power.

Deleted
    Like i understand thrall and him pretty much running the story, but all i would want is the NPCs kicking some ass in the background. Summon some no-name enemies, that just seem powerfull and let the NPCs do a bazillion dmg to them. Just like many others, i dislike NPCs who are doing our jobs, but that should not stop them from having value in-game.

- - - Updated - - -

Ohh god i wish, that in the last weeks of 7.3.5, we saw an entire amada of Horde and Alliance air-ships come through a portal to Argus and just lay waste to the remaining demons lead by pretty much all our faction leaders, setting it up as a epilogue like the Broken Shore battle was set up a prologue.

But yeah, i do miss some action from important characters in the game and overall, i just miss seeing alot of the characters. Wrathion is my favorite character of all time, because he is so well set up, but he is nowhere in the game right now. So is the situation with many NPCs who could do cool stuff, but are left in the dirt by Blizzaards incompetence to write their own characters into the story.
    Well, the other thread regarding unresolved plots, I believe says something about a mysterious necromancer and his 'master', where we find the garrison and everyone is dead (including Adrimal Taylor) in the Spires of Arak on Draenor. I think Wrathion is mentioned (not explicitly by name, but all signs point to it being him I think), but then that storyline runs cold.

Obviously its impossible to keep every character constantly up to date and relevant, but at least give us a closure on SOME of them. Particularly ones where they are essential to the plot for an entire expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    We are the Deathlord, leader of the Ebon Blade, right hand of the Lich King, wielding reforged Frostmourne.

We are the Slayer, acting leader of the Illidari, wielding warglaives empowered by Kil'Jaeden himself.

We are the Archdruid of the Dreamgrove, wielder and tamer of the Scythe of Elune, blessed by the spirits of Ursoc and Ashamane.

We are the Huntmaster of the Unseen Path, wielder of the Thas'dorah and Titanstrike, legendary weapons of untold power.

We are the Conjuror of the Tirisgarde, wielder of the weapons of both the first and second to last Guardians.

We are the Grandmaster of the Broken Temple, wielder of the power of the Windlord himself.

We are Highlord of the Silverhand, the Ashbringer, appointed by Tirion himself on his deathbed.

We are The High Priest of the Conclave, wielding both the Light and Shadow against our foes.

We are the Shadow of Uncrowned, wielding the deadliest weapons ever known to Azeroth.

We are Farseer of the Earther Ring wielding the Doomhammer and the power of the Titans.

We are the First of the Council of the Black Harvest, wielding the Scepter of Sargeras himself.

We are the Battlelord of the Valajar, wielding legendary swords forged by Odyn and empowered by Helya beyond their original power.

The NPCs haven't become less powerful, but the player character has caught up to them and even surpassed their power.
    I am the Crazy Cat Lady, seeker of pets, swapper of grizzly tank appearances with polar cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldor666 View Post
    You're right about Illidan. It's pathetic watching him trying to kill those bat demons. Maybe he used all his energy on the naru
    Man you guys don't play havoc right? He does not have the Ring, he is building fury to use the eyebeam... but the rng chaosblades is against him.

Alleria, Turalyon and Illidan are more powerful than the PC. Velen most likely is, but he prefers not sure to fight. Everyone else there is either an army of light grunt or not a fighter.
    Plus when Alleria and Turalyon have a kid, we will have the child of light and shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoria View Post
    Alleria, Turalyon and Illidan are more powerful than the PC. Velen most likely is, but he prefers not sure to fight. Everyone else there is either an army of light grunt or not a fighter.
    Plus when Alleria and Turalyon have a kid, we will have the child of light and shadow.
    *Laughs in Mythic Kil'jaeden*

Dude, we're stronger than them. We ALONE Defeated Kil'jaeden, while Illidan and others were pulling a PC, and killing the Adds for us. Hell, Illidan ONLY helped us, by granting us his site. We did the real work. Hell, our Artifacts are stronger as well, making us so strong, as to be capable of taking on even the World Soul of Argus. And, what did Illidan/Turalyon do? Well, Turalyon's blade got caught by Illidan's hand, and Illidan eye-beamed a Naaru at FULL Fury, while we were closing our eyes, or skipping the Cinematic.

After Firelands where NPCs pretty much "Stole your kill", and Dragon Soul where we were just a distraction for Thrall and Dragons doing shit, players bitched so hard about us being underpowered by NPCs.. Since then, Blizz toned down on NPCs doing shit (see how Thrall does NOTHING during Garrosh in SoO, for example)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Because your toon is the greatest hero of all time. Along with.. everyone else and their toon..

Is there room for anyone else?

That is the biggest problem with this kind of story telling in an MMO. Everyone is the hero in their story with millions of other people being told the same thing. Even if they are standing right next to each other. Story was a lot more interesting when it was about major NPCs in the world driving it and the players were adventures. But it is to late to go back now.

This is the way it is now. So just accept NPCs don't matter. You and all the other special snow flakes are what matter now.

So a faction leader is a faction leader because he is the strongest? Thats some tribal reasoning right there. Not without reason - Vanilla introduced faction leaders as one of the hardest raid bosses, and certain characters like Thrall or Sylvanas were known in WC3 as great fighters. Still though - there is no reason for faction leader to be the "strongest baddest around", thats not why they were chosen to lead. Lorewise, its player character thats currently the "muscle" during missions, while others take the role of coordinating the campaign (Khadgar, Turalyon, Velen etc.).

And still... have you even paid attention to Illidan? Dude exploded Gul'dan and evaporated Xe'ra, and we know whats still to come for him....
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Deleted
    Every day, im opening this forum and I wonder if there will be even more stupider reason for someone to whine. And sometimes im like - eh, maybe they reach their LiMiT?!

Not today, you, Sir, just got the first spot. Now all we have to do is wait Anduin Menethil to get unbanned, so he claims his first spot, now he only got posts 2 - 10 in the top10,

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    So a faction leader is a faction leader because he is the strongest? Thats some tribal reasoning right there. Not without reason - Vanilla introduced faction leaders as one of the hardest raid bosses, and certain characters like Thrall or Sylvanas were known in WC3 as great fighters. Still though - there is no reason for faction leader to be the "strongest baddest around", thats not why they were chosen to lead. Lorewise, its player character thats currently the "muscle" during missions, while others take the role of coordinating the campaign (Khadgar, Turalyon, Velen etc.).

And still... have you even paid attention to Illidan? Dude exploded Gul'dan and evaporated Xe'ra, and we know whats still to come for him....
    That is not what i am saying. I am saying, that our faction leaders atleast need to be strong and not some small children, that needs our constant watch to keep alive. I am not saying they need to be the most powerfull, but atleast have them be on par with an individuel player and be competent in battle.

From what i hear, you did not pay attention to the post at all. I know what Illidan can do, but that only comes to show in the cinematic. If i never saw the cinematic, i have no reason to believe, that Illidan is any stronger then the average demon hunter. The picture, that the cinematics give and the picture that Illidans in-game pressences give, is completly different. Now this might not be too much of a problem, but it is a problem with Turalyon. I have no picture of reference to how powerfull he should be and it therefore takes alot of the potential thrill from the Xe'ra cinematic, where he attacks Illidan. If he is only as strong as his in-game pressence shows, then he would never be able to even hurt illidan with his tiny sword.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcast View Post
    Well, the other thread regarding unresolved plots, I believe says something about a mysterious necromancer and his 'master', where we find the garrison and everyone is dead (including Adrimal Taylor) in the Spires of Arak on Draenor. I think Wrathion is mentioned (not explicitly by name, but all signs point to it being him I think), but then that storyline runs cold.

Obviously its impossible to keep every character constantly up to date and relevant, but at least give us a closure on SOME of them. Particularly ones where they are essential to the plot for an entire expansion.
    Ohh i fucking hate and love that questline back in Spires of Arak, because it actually showed a hint, that Wrathion was actually after something in Old Dreanor and not just relaxed after setting WoD in motion. That they then completly canned his story-line is a part of what made that expansion so bad, so much potential yet nothing ended up as it should be.

Blizzard have resently, proberly starting with MoP, found it very hard to finish character stories or have them extend between expansions. I fear very much, that if the Sylvanas/Greymane story is not told in 7.X, we will never see Sylvanas interact with Eyir again and that entire plot will be left in the dust. Blizzard are pretty amazing with setting up stories and characters, opening up for an ever expanding roster of character story-line, but this will not last, if the lorefocused playerbase begins to realize, that most of the stories that Blizzard sets up will never end and therefore be bad overall.

Legion have already created atleast 7 big characters with a set up for further storytelling and have finished 1 storyline from previous expansions. I really hope, that Blizzard soon will realize, that they need smallsized storyfocused patches like .X, where stories are expanded, continued or ended. If not, the game lore will simply begin to seem pointless and without reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoria View Post
    Did you know they have a son right???