View Poll Results: Would Global Unlocks work?

Voters
116. This poll is closed
  • Yes - We've had almost 13 years this way

56 48.28%
  • No - Alliance and Horde have no business mixing

52 44.83%
  • Other - Maybe yes, maybe no - Explained below

8 6.90%

Thread: Global Unlocks

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Global Unlocks

In your opinion, is WoW finally at a stage in its life where a global unlock would make sense? We fight side by side every expac. We've never gotten an official "traitor" quest, and there are plenty of 3rd party factions that use both Alliance and Horde races. Would a global unlock work allowing a Tauren Druid to work with the alliance, or a Goblin Rogue to operate in Stormwind? Does it make sense that some Dwarves might prefer the company of Orcs and Trolls?

Answer in the poll and below. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, apparently this is less of a popular topic than initially anticipated. I was wondering if there would be more discussion, or even interaction on the topic.

with Global Unlock i thought of something else

what you mean, is a removal of faction locked races. or overall removal of the big factions.
    I'm mostly an RPler, so i would be all for it. And given the way the Lore evolved in the last years i can't see a war between Horde and Alliance. Maybe some Faction in those bigger Factions (Worgen vs. Forsaken) might have some beef with each other, but this shouldn't affect ALL other members of the Faction.

Also going forward it would be more interesting to see how those smaller factions interact with each others then only ALL of the Alliance vs. ALL of the Horde.
    How about the a Triangle of say Blood Elves, Forsaken, Wildhammer Dwarves who have quarrels in the plaguelands? The Wildhammer and Blood Elves working together to return the area to how it was, while the Forsaken rather keep it the way it is. Or the Orcs, Night Elves and Tauren working out a way to still the Orcs need of Wood without loosing all of Ashenvale. And Gnomes and Goblins....oh Gnomes and Goblins, this would lead into the next cataclysmic event for the world!

The faction system is a huge tripping point for the story which prevents a lot of things that reasonably should have happened from happening, because no major political progress or setbacks can actually be made because a status quo has to be maintained for gameplay reasons.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I could always just go play another MMO without Factions if I wanted that.

Would only be okay with mixing if there were a new playable faction introduced to replace the missing conflict. (ex: Legion/Scourge introduced as the second faction to VS Azeroth, has its own set of playable race and class combos.)

No. Keep in mind, the hate and prejudice is still there between factions. From a lore perspective, it still wouldn't make sense. Keep in mind, even with a million subs, where the lore is concerned there aren't a million people fighting the Legion right now. It's you, Khadgar, Illidan, and a few others. Also where the lore is concerned, Horde and Alliance have worked together only once on a grand scale, and the assault on Broken Shore failed miserably. From what 1 side experienced, it renewed that hate and prejudice completely. Vanilla, BC, Wrath, Cata, MoP, WoD, and now in Legion each faction is working separately. There are a handful of NPC's that do not have the hate, such as Saurfang in Wrath, who suggested if the Horde saves Bolvar it might help the factions, but what happens shortly after? The 2 factions try shooting each other out of the sky getting to the peak of ICC.
    We also have factions where all races coexist side by side. Those like the Ebon BLade, the Kirin Tor, and the Silver Hand. These are a handful of characters in the grand scheme of things, and even those in those factions have shown they still harbor hatred and grudges.
    Anduin and Thrall are the only faction leaders that has ever shown any kind of idea of wanting peace. Others have merely cooperated and kept an uneasy truce thru the years. Even Varian stated the only reason he didn't be attack the Horde at the end of MoP was because of what the Horde did. They have put aside differences at times as they raced towards the greater threat, but even then they have still attacked each other: previous example of ICC, the faction champion fight at TotGC, fighting for resources at Wintergrasp/Tol Barad/Ashran, and all the countless outposts.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    No. Keep in mind, the hate and prejudice is still there between factions. From a lore perspective, it still wouldn't make sense. Keep in mind, even with a million subs, where the lore is concerned there aren't a million people fighting the Legion right now. It's you, Khadgar, Illidan, and a few others. Also where the lore is concerned, Horde and Alliance have worked together only once on a grand scale, and the assault on Broken Shore failed miserably. From what 1 side experienced, it renewed that hate and prejudice completely. Vanilla, BC, Wrath, Cata, MoP, WoD, and now in Legion each faction is working separately. There are a handful of NPC's that do not have the hate, such as Saurfang in Wrath, who suggested if the Horde saves Bolvar it might help the factions, but what happens shortly after? The 2 factions try shooting each other out of the sky getting to the peak of ICC.
    We also have factions where all races coexist side by side. Those like the Ebon BLade, the Kirin Tor, and the Silver Hand. These are a handful of characters in the grand scheme of things, and even those in those factions have shown they still harbor hatred and grudges.
    Anduin and Thrall are the only faction leaders that has ever shown any kind of idea of wanting peace. Others have merely cooperated and kept an uneasy truce thru the years. Even Varian stated the only reason he didn't be attack the Horde at the end of MoP was because of what the Horde did. They have put aside differences at times as they raced towards the greater threat, but even then they have still attacked each other: previous example of ICC, the faction champion fight at TotGC, fighting for resources at Wintergrasp/Tol Barad/Ashran, and all the countless outposts.
    While this is true, I feel at the very least a long, detailed, defector's quest could exist, thus giving opportunity to a few groups. Like the Goblin Rogue who really wants to RP and a spy for the Horde, or the Eredar Warlock who no longer serves the Legion but cannot stomach the alliance. This could be something big like Tarecgosa's rest at lvl 20, so instead of a global unlock per say, it would be limited to those who truly wish to pursue it.

Deleted
    Factions are an outdated concept and rather ridiculous story wise... We haven't been at war since WC3 so WTF

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    The faction system is a huge tripping point for the story which prevents a lot of things that reasonably should have happened from happening, because no major political progress or setbacks can actually be made because a status quo has to be maintained for gameplay reasons.
    some one should probably tell that to south shore and thereamore.

no never.. it would kill the identity of the entire IP
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Factions are an outdated concept and rather ridiculous story wise... We haven't been at war since WC3 so WTF
    we were at war in classic tbc cata mop and legion the only time we weren't at war was in wod and wrath.

- - - Updated - - -

we were at war in classic tbc cata mop and legion the only time we weren't at war was in wod and wrath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post

- - - Updated - - -

And even then we were fighting over resources Isle of Conquest and Strand of the Ancients for wrath, and Ashran for WoD.

OT: I'd like it to happen, but it won't.

Deleted
    Jeez. This threat again. No i dont want gnomes in raid. Call me racist

I think having separate quests, cities, and storytelling experiences is an awesome flavour element for WoW, so I think the thematic elements of the A/H divide should stay in place, but all of the gameplay barriers should definitely be dissolved at this point. Separating off half of your playerbase from the other half in in a PvE-centric MMO is a really big problem, and the fact that friends have to use battle.net if they want to so much as message each other in WoW is pretty absurd (and forget about any kind of group conversation if you're not playing the same faction as everyone else).

While the game should keep the narrative separation of the Horde and Alliance in place, there is more than enough precedent to justify players talking, grouping, and running instances together. This should be an autonomous choice controlled by the player character, not something that gets dictated by weird immersion-breaking game rules.
    Last edited by Wondercrab; 2017-09-19 at 05:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Very flimsy war considering throughout we were also fighting side by side for the majority

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    Warcraft doesn't necessarily mean Alliance v Horde.... It just means conflict

- - - Updated - - -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    Jeez. This threat again. No i dont want gnomes in raid. Call me racist
    I'm alliance and I don't want gnomes in my raid either.

Very flimsy war considering throughout we were also fighting side by side for the majority

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

fairly sure if you got back to the original RTS days that is what it means, not saying it hasn't changed but to lose that root of it all would be a bad move imo. Could they do a system for LFG like pvp has maybe. but i have no desire and wont raid with horde in my raids/grps.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The horde and alliance were not fighting together in classic tbc cata the first half of mop or even legion. In wrath they made a truce which ended at the wrath gate and they went back into full blown war. In legion the alliance and horde are not working together we have more or less left our faction to lead the order halls that does not mean they are fighting together.

Deleted
    fairly sure if you got back to the original RTS days that is what it means, not saying it hasn't changed but to lose that root of it all would be a bad move imo. Could they do a system for LFG like pvp has maybe. but i have no desire and wont raid with horde in my raids/grps.
    WoW isn't an RTS and many don't play because of the RTS roots

7+ Year Old Account
    WoW isn't an RTS and many don't play because of the RTS roots
    Literally everyone plays because of the rts loots without the rts loots theres no wow.