View Poll Results: Could a revamp with class questing work?

Voters
41. This poll is closed
  • Yes - But Blizz should take their time and study other similar MMO styles

10 24.39%
  • Yes - They have the ability now with Class Hall quests and personal popups

6 14.63%
  • No - This is too much like Garrison Missions and Class Hall quests

7 17.07%
  • No - Blizz has no ability to successfully pull this off, and never will

13 31.71%
  • Other - I have an opinion explained below as it is not covered by these options

5 12.20%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Leveling via Class Quests

While I am not a fan of what the game has become, I did love the initial leveling class quests/story in Star Wars: The Old Republic. I wonder:

"If WoW revamped the zones, and created Class specific quests, in addition to the world quests (a bit like what we had in TBC, but take it from 1-110), could it be successfully generated and executed if they took their time and planned it for 9.0?"

I feel like short stories, love interests, amazing cut scenes, etc would make for some very engaging character development. What are your thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be great, but 7.2 suffered for content because blizzard made 12 different class quests and a bunch of mage tower challenges. If you weren't running alts you only got to see your one class story which was 1/12 of the content.

1-110? That's insane. Blizzard proved they can't actively add class content without lack of overall content in 7.2. They should stop class content entirely after Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    We've already see how incompetent Blizzard is at making sure other content won't be sacrificed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    Would be great, but 7.2 suffered for content because blizzard made 12 different class quests and a bunch of mage tower challenges. If you weren't running alts you only got to see your one class story which was 1/12 of the content.
    Some of us are ok with only seeing the class line story for the 1 or 2 classes we play. Not all of us have one of every class and 50 lvl 110s. Personally, I saw the Druid and DK content and have no desire to see the rest. If I get desperately curious, I bet I could find a YouTube video for each to show them to me.

No. Such design can make the game into the sea of crappiest and most genuine quests like SW:TOR currently is.

Deleted
    Going back to add them in the 1-100 area, no? There's hardly any reason to do that as they will be obsolete for people above level 100, unless they scale them and add some w/e rewards, which is basically wasted effort.
    Moving forward, I doubt we'll see more of the Legion's style in the future, however I think that a few questlines that are handled a little differently based on class will be optimal.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kraner View Post
    Going back to add them in the 1-100 area, no? There's hardly any reason to do that as they will be obsolete for people above level 100, unless they scale them and add some w/e rewards, which is basically wasted effort.
    Moving forward, I doubt we'll see more of the Legion's style in the future, however I think that a few questlines that are handled a little differently based on class will be optimal.
    Every zone in the game should auto-scale and Dungeons should remain at their levels. This would make the leveling experience open up world wide, including the expansions, but still permit farming older content solo (instances). So if I want to take my lvl 1 to Howling Fjord and start leveling, I can.

Quote Originally Posted by -Joker- View Post
    Every zone in the game should auto-scale and Dungeons should remain at their levels. This would make the leveling experience open up world wide, including the expansions, but still permit farming older content solo (instances). So if I want to take my lvl 1 to Howling Fjord and start leveling, I can.
    Literally whats the point of levels at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    Well what's the harm of letting zones scale?

Quote Originally Posted by Najja View Post
    Well what's the harm of letting zones scale?
    Making levels pointless?

7+ Year Old Account
    Levels would still show end game strength and power. Every zone on BI was autoscale. Did you feel any less powerful at 110 that you felt at 100? The only thing scaling ALL zones would do is allow you to choose how YOU want to hit 110, 120, and beyond. Who does it really harm if I would rather start questing in the Barrens instead of Durotar? Or if Feralas calls me instead of Northshire Abbey? Levels are still pertinent regardless of autoscaling. Just look at Timewalking. Some people enjoy doing the content that was level appropriate in an instance. With this plan, everything in the open world would ALWAYS be level appropriate. It might encourage more open world interaction and less dungeon grinding. I know I would rather quest in Northrend than Burning Steppes, so why not just head for Howling Fjord at lvl 1, finish Northrend by level 23 and move on to something else? It's not really harming anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its called solo leveling

Making levels pointless?
    Does restricting player movement based on their time investment in the game really add that much value?

So you want a single player game? Because that's what SWTOR should've been. Amazing single player game but a horrible MMO. Atleast the first few months that I played of it when it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    So you want a single player game? Because that's what SWTOR should've been. Amazing single player game but a horrible MMO. Atleast the first few months that I played of it when it came out.
    Why would scaling make it single player?

Quote Originally Posted by -Joker- View Post
    Levels would still show end game strength and power. Every zone on BI was autoscale. Did you feel any less powerful at 110 that you felt at 100? The only thing scaling ALL zones would do is allow you to choose how YOU want to hit 110, 120, and beyond. Who does it really harm if I would rather start questing in the Barrens instead of Durotar? Or if Feralas calls me instead of Northshire Abbey? Levels are still pertinent regardless of autoscaling. Just look at Timewalking. Some people enjoy doing the content that was level appropriate in an instance. With this plan, everything in the open world would ALWAYS be level appropriate. It might encourage more open world interaction and less dungeon grinding. I know I would rather quest in Northrend than Burning Steppes, so why not just head for Howling Fjord at lvl 1, finish Northrend by level 23 and move on to something else? It's not really harming anyone.
    Levels 109 and 110, especially in dungeons, were very very noticable breakpoints. It's the dumbest thing in the world to feel weaker for leveling up.

Quote Originally Posted by Najja View Post
    Why would scaling make it single player?
    Scaling no. But making you level through class quests and forcing you into scenarios will alienate you from a large proportion of the players.

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    Scaling no. But making you level through class quests and forcing you into scenarios will alienate you from a large proportion of the players.
    If they avoid using scenarios or allow your whole party to participate then I think it wouldn't be too alienating, it would also allow you to see other players stories when you're helping them.

Nah that sounds lame. I don't want to have to go back to my class trainer and then out into the world repeatedly. Instead I'd like to see two things added:

1) a small (like 5-10%) chance for all bosses in dungeons to drop an experience boost scroll that, when used, gives something like 15-20% your total Xp needed to level.

and

2) World Quests (WoD, Legion style) added to every single zone.

Between questing and queuing for dungeons, there'd be those other means of gaining XP to break up the monotony.