Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Marriage Equality In Australia Will Mean The End Of Easter Mother’s Day And Christmas

Though heralded as a trailblazer in tennis, Margaret Court has retrograde views about the LGBT community: She’s been a vocal opponent of the current campaign to achieve marriage equality Down Under and insists gay people are fighting for marriage “because they want to destroy it.”
    Ryan Pierse-Pool/Getty Images

“I think it’s sad,” said Court after being removed as patron of Perth’s Cottesloe Tennis Club. “You don’t have the freedom of speech today to really defend yourself… Ian Thorpe can stand for the other side and there’s no criticism. But when we stand for our Christian beliefs or God’s side I feel sporting people are very intimidated, they’re put down.”

Cottesloe management maintains that while her views were a factor, Court was dismissed primarily because she was unavailable to attend many club events. Michael Roberts, chief of Tennis West, the sport’s governing body in Western Australia, says Court has to expect some pushback.
    Getty

“If you’ve got an opinion that’s very polarizing, when you’re so firmly supportive or against something, then it’s going to have an impact on how you’re perceived in the community.”

On Friday, the 75-year-old Court, who won 24 singles Grand Slams starting in 1970, told the West Australian that if gay people gain the right to wed, “It will affect Christian schools, it will affect freedom of speech. There will be no Mother’s Day, there will be no Father’s Day, there will be no Easter, there will be no Christmas.”
    Link here

So you Aussies, are you prepared to do your thing to stop the end of Mother's Day, Father's Day, Easter, and Christmas?

10+ Year Old Account
    What are these people so scared of if gay people marry? Never understood why people make such a big deal about it.
    Putin khuliyo

People saying stupid things such as this is why many Australians didn't want a plebiscite on marriage equality. They wanted the government to grow some balls and do the job they were wlected to do. All its done is given bigoted people a platform to spout hateful rhetoric.

If any Australian wants to vote against marriage equality and is willing to give rational reasons why it shouldn't go ahead, I'll listen. But there is no place for scaremongering comments such as those quoted in the OP.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The whole "No" campaign in Australian has moved away from the actual marriage argument and are really hammering home the idea that marriage equality is an attack on free speech. The Onion Prime Minister even came out and said that a vote for "no" is to stop political correctness. It's not a surprise that Margaret Courts arguments are equally as piss poor.

I don't think ending these days is a requirement.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Of all the stupid...

Canada has had de-facto legalization of gay marriage since 1999 (basically, all legal rights extended to same sex couples), and official legalization since 2005. Mother's Day, Father's Day, Easter, and Christmas are all still a thing here, and show no signs of going away any time soon. If anything, Christmas has been growing at an alarming rate. It's September and there is already eggnog and Christmas decor in some stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Of all the stupid...

Canada has had de-facto legalization of gay marriage since 1999 (basically, all legal rights extended to same sex couples), and official legalization since 2005. Mother's Day, Father's Day, Easter, and Christmas are all still a thing here, and show no signs of going away any time soon. If anything, Christmas has been growing at an alarming rate. It's September and there is already eggnog and Christmas decor in some stores.
    Heck here in the U.S. there was already fear-mongering about a "War on Christmas" and that was only over Starbucks not having snowflakes on their cups and I haven't really heard a peep when we finally legalized same-sex marriage.

ahhh, athletes. I feel the same way towards their political opinions as I'm sure most conservatives feel about a movie star's opinion.

Unfortunately like anywhere, Australia has its share of idiots, and as predicted this gay marriage vote has gotten them crawling out from under their bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    So you Aussies, are you prepared to do your thing to stop the end of Mother's Day, Father's Day, Easter, and Christmas?
    I'm still trying to work out whether or not this thread is intended as satire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The bigots and idiots can win the vote. The managed to do it in California too, at least the US had the Supreme Court to stand up for people's rights, not sure what Australia has in the event the bigots win.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    The bigots and idiots can win the vote. The managed to do it in California too, at least the US had the Supreme Court to stand up for people's rights, not sure what Australia has in the event the bigots win.
    This "vote" is actually non-binding. It's not a plebiscite or even a referendum. It's just a political football being used to delay the inevitable.

Perhaps if "no" wins they can use that as an excuse to continue inaction on the issue. But a "yes" vote won't actually change anything other than presumably increase the pressure that's already on the government considering the majority of Australians support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    This "vote" is actually non-binding. It's not a plebiscite or even a referendum. It's just a political football being used to delay the inevitable.

Perhaps if "no" wins they can use that as an excuse to continue inaction on the issue. But a "yes" vote won't actually change anything other than presumably increase the pressure that's already on the government considering the majority of Australians support it.
    Ah, so it's mostly just a waiting game for the bigots to be out of office then?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'm still trying to work out whether or not this thread is intended as satire.
    It wasn't meant as satire. I was just being sarcastic in my first post. I think what she said was utterly stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Of all the stupid...

Gay marriage has been legalized in countries all across Europe and Christmas is still a holiday and Christians still do their Christian things. But then, this Margaret Court doesn't strike me as a logical person, or she probably wouldn't be a fearmonger.
    Putin khuliyo

Court is a batty old fossil who's made herself a target for public ridicule with these statements recently, and her tennis club has fired her to distance itself from her.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Ah, so it's mostly just a waiting game for the bigots to be out of office then?
    Thing is, both sides are bouncing this football back and forth. The government is actually fairly progressive by the standards of their party (as we speak the hardline conservative faction of said party is trying to use this issue to get back into power). Meanwhile the left wing party sat on this issue the entire time it was in power, and only decided to embrace gay marriage as a last ditch election pitch on the eve of the election they lost, after running a shambles of a campaign.

So who knows when those ass clowns will be done playing silly buggers and actually put this into law. I guess it depends how successful this delaying tactic is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Heck here in the U.S. there was already fear-mongering about a "War on Christmas" and that was only over Starbucks not having snowflakes on their cups and I haven't really heard a peep when we finally legalized same-sex marriage.
    Oh yeah. Nothing says "War on Christmas" like their "Christmas Blend" Via's in bright red packaging.
    Putin khuliyo

People thinking that religion and capitalist holidays should be a reason to stop gay marriage, lol.

I would've preferred a change so that civil unions are treated exactly the same as marriage, but since our political system is too stupid to do that, I voted yes to same-sex marriage. So much fighting over the definition of a word when a simple solution exists.

Deleted
    I honestly think that marriage should be illegal at this point and any marriage proposals be meet with the punishment of firing squad. Think about it, gay people could literally destroy the fabric of society and lead us into a dystopian world if they get married (this being Australia, that would make it Mad Max, so that isn't so bad).

Don't do marriage kids!

If anything those hardcore christians should strongly support same sex marriage. They won't be having kids via normal ways thus ending their lines. Of course they are other ways but considering the usual hardcore religious families they usually have 3-4 kids which will outnumber the samesex couple kids in a few generations while passing their religious views to their children. It is natural selection for them. Hardcore believers should be happy with same sex marriage.

Dear Margaret Court,

we aren't limiting your freedom of speech, we are just calling you the utter moron that you are. Please go sky-diving in the outback without equipment and never come back.

Thank you,

Humanity