Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror

Muhammad most popular English boys name 3rd year in a row

Imagine if you went to Egypt and the top name for newborn babies was William. Wouldn't that be a bit odd?

ONS ✔ @Ons
    Muhammad replaced William in the top 10 most popular boys' names in 2016 for England and Wales http://ow.ly/Qqt830fhZCp
    10:52 AM - Sep 20, 2017
    65 65 Replies 476 476 Retweets 235 235 likes
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

infracted - trolling
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-09-21 at 02:44 PM.

Religious people have traditional families and lots of babies.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Original name

How is the title even remotely accurate if it is the 8th most popular name only?

Anyways, it is still behind Jacob.

The issue here is more the variety of names across cultures. Muhammad is far more dominant %-wise among Islamic communities than 'Biblical' names tend to be in Western/Christian countries. Also a factor that the list of Biblical names is far more extensive. Imagine if every Biblical name (Mark, Jacob, Peter, Joshua, James, Joseph, etc) were all condensed to one single name (they were all named Joshua, for example) which is almost effectively what you have with Muhammad in Islamic cultures.

That and (though this may be much more prevalent in the US, don't know about UK) we just loooovvvveee to have 45 different spellings of the same damn name, which if they account for spelling wildly skews a names popularity. "Hello, I'm Ashley/Ashleigh/Ashlee/Ashlei and this is my sister Caitlin/Caitlyn/Caytlin/Kaitlyn/Katelynn/Kaytlyn!"

Poor, persecuted white people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    How is the title even remotely accurate if it is the 8th most popular name only?

Anyways, it is still behind Jacob.
    It's a downright lie.

The most popular boys name last year was Oliver.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    a) it isn't the most popular name
    b) popular names change all the time; currently popular names in the US look just as strange to me (e.g. Aiden, Lucas, Noah, Mason, Logan)

Apparently some people don't understand statistics...

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo101 View Post
    It's a downright lie.

The most popular boys name last year was Oliver.
    Oliver is 5th most used in sweden yet i never meet anyone with that name lol

Deleted
    obviously it means muslims , or more exactly islamic extremists that all want sharia law are overruning europe, here this is finally undeniable proof , good thing we where warned here and now. or you know what ? all this means is that religious muslims (very often) call theire sons muhammad or a variiation thereof.

yes, there are a lot of them, but guess what ? if every christian in the world would name his son Jesus, absolutely nothing else, every new christian boy born in the world will be named jesus. at that point in time you could take most countries in the world and jesus would top the chart by default.

Obviously it isn't that extreme, and sorry i can't see i see this thread going for a nuanced analyses of what Muhammad/any kind of variation of Muhammad being one of the most popular "english boys" names factually means but anyways. all this really tells us that a lot of parents name theire son after the islamic prophet, probably because they are religious muslims, which like i said doesn't mean much, where most christians more religious and not generally shy of the name there would be a fuck ton of jesus' running around

Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    Imagine if you went to Egypt and the top name for newborn babies was William. Wouldn't that be a bit odd?

ONS ✔ @Ons
    Muhammad replaced William in the top 10 most popular boys' names in 2016 for England and Wales http://ow.ly/Qqt830fhZCp
    Imagine that the most popular names across much of Africa and Asia are European names, even tho those names have no roots in the local languages and cultures.

Colonialism is OK, but people sticking to their heritage is not. Cool. Good to know.

Deleted
    It's a pretty name ^^.

ONS ✔ @Ons
    Imagined if you stopped caring about useless topics like this, what could you accomplish in life?

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe 88 View Post
    obviously it means muslims , or more exactly islamic extremists that all want sharia law are overruning europe, here this is finally undeniable proof , good thing we where warned here and now. or you know what ? all this means is that religious muslims (very often) call theire sons muhammad or a variiation thereof.

yes, there are a lot of them, but guess what ? if every christian in the world would name his son Jesus, absolutely nothing else, every new christian boy born in the world will be named jesus. at that point in time you could take most countries in the world and jesus would top the chart by default.

Obviously it isn't that extreme, and sorry i can't see i see this thread going for a nuanced analyses of what Muhammad/any kind of variation of Muhammad being one of the most popular "english boys" names factually means but anyways. all this really tells us that a lot of parents name theire son after the islamic prophet, probably because they are religious muslims, which like i said doesn't mean much, where most christians more religious and not generally shy of the name there would be a fuck ton of jesus' running around
    Most Europeans give their children, especially boys variations on biblical names, like Peter's and John's and Jacob's and Paul's and Michael's (fuck, my parents are 100% non religious and I'm a Michael, well an ethnic variation of it as my mother is Greek). Then there are all the Maria's and such. There are plenty of Jesus' in the Spanish speaking world.

Mohammed as a given name is often either part of a compound name or is a middle name. Akin to the Christian custom of "saint's name".

Wait, what am I missing? It says "Oliver remains as the most popular first name given to baby boys in England and Wales in 2016 and has been the most popular boys name since 2013."

ONS ✔ @Ons
    Just out of interest is that the legit stats?

In the shop I work during season time, we have named gifts everything from money boxes to keyrings to names in lights etc. We get the most popular names for the previous year for this year. e.g. 2017 is the list from 2016. And We've only got one product with Muhammad in. We've got some 'strange' names in for other foriegn names though.

ONS ✔ @Ons
    The article doesn't make the point, but based on similar reports, you have to combine the different spellings of Mohamed to get it to the top name.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    The article doesn't make the point, but based on similar reports, you have to combine the different spellings of Mohamed to get it to the top name.
    Well that explains why I don't have it in stock then xD

Edit:

See above quote I made, wasn't quick enough to post before osmeone else.